14th June is the UK's Natiopnal Lift Share Day!
From: Ali Clabburn [mailto:clabburnali@...]
Sent: Friday, 8 June 2001 12:07 PM
Subject: 14th June is the UK's Natiopnal Lift Share Day!
Hello,Carsharing: Sustainable transport's missing link
I write seeking your support of both National Lift Share Day on the 14th of
June and the whole concept of lift sharing. Please find a press release
National Liftshare Day aims to raise awareness of lift sharing as a viable
form of transport and to encourage all motorists, if only for one day, to
find other people travelling the same route as them and to share a car.
Until recently the UK has lagged behind our European neighbours in setting
up successful car sharing schemes. That has now changed. Initiatives from
the government, combined with successful development of the UK's online
matching service (www.liftshare.com) and support from councils, hospitals,
football clubs and business parks has led to the rapid rise in the
popularity of the latest transport alternative.
Set up initially as a university project in 1997, the scheme is now
facilitating setting up secure community based car sharing schemes for all
sectors of the UK. The clever technology allows each community to set up
their own private scheme whilst offering the possibility of linking in with
other local schemes as well as the national service.
The rapid increase in demand has led to the development of the national lift
sharing call centre, run by Remploy, so expanding the opportunities for
disabled people (www.remploy.co.uk) and opening up the service to those
without internet access.
The more people that know about the service the more matches will be found
and the fewer cars will be on our roads. So please include the following
press release in your show and let your listeners know that there is now, at
long last, a way that they can travel that is both cheap and environmentally
With Kindest Regards
National Lift Share Day - 14th June 2001
Every day there are 10 million empty seats on our roads in the UK. As part
of Green Transport Week and the Don't Choke Britain Campaign, National Lift
Share Day, on the 14th of June, aims to encourage all motorists to find
others going the same way as them and to share a car.
Campaigning since 1995 to reduce the amount of traffic on UK roads and to
encourage support of lift sharing schemes, liftshare.com launched a free
online service (www.liftshare.com) in 1998 that facilitates finding travel
companions and sharing lifts. Now the leading national lift sharing scheme,
liftshare.com has had over 10,000 new people joining the scheme in the last
Through implementing the scheme at numerous councils, businesses and
universities, the scheme is forecast to grow to 100,000 in the next 12
months. The rapid increase in demand has led to the development of the
national lift sharing call centre, run by Remploy, so expanding the
opportunities for disabled people (www.remploy.co.uk) and opening up the
service to those without internet access.
Support of traffic reducing schemes is growing across every community. In
the next 20 years car traffic is predicted to grow by more than a third
(DETR). Unless car use is reduced this means more traffic jams, not just in
cities but in country towns too. The 'rush hours' will spread. Driving will
become even less of a pleasure. The costs to business will soar. There will
be more damage to our environment and our health will suffer.
A Few More Facts and Figures:
· Traffic jams and delays cost the economy over £20 billion every year.
· Every day there are 10 million empty seats on our roads in the UK. (DETR)
· The average speed in London is 10mph. (DETR) · In the last 10 years the
proportion of journeys to school by car has nearly doubled from 16% to 30%.
· Road transport is responsible for 90% of London's Air Pollution. (The
· For every 40 tonne lorry delivering to a supermarket, 500 cars take away
its contents. (Sustrans)
· The total road traffic forecast for 2010 is an increase of 22% (DETR)
· A 10% reduction in the number of cars on the road would reduce traffic
jams by 20%.
The Benefits of Lift Sharing (liftshare.com)
· Environmentally friendly, reducing traffic congestion and pollution,
· Saves travellers and motorists money, splitting fuel and parking costs,
· Saves travellers and motorists time, allowing direct journeys and the use
of MOV lanes,
· Saves businesses money, reducing travel time and employee transport costs,
· Widens recruitment areas and allows job seekers a new way to travel to
· The need for a private car is reduced,
· Provides a solution to the lack of public transport in rural areas.
Some more dates and details for the Environmental Transport 2001 campaign.
· Don't Choke Britain - encourages people to try an alternative to the car,
to travel to and from work at least once a week during the month of June. -
· Green Transport Week 2001 will be from 9th to 17th June. Info.
· Bike to Work Day 20th June: Further details Tel: 01243 543888 or visit
· Visit http://www.doingyourbit.org.uk/partners/index.html for a great car
· National liftshare day website www.liftshare.com/nlsd.asp
· Ali Clabburn: 08700 780 225
Go to @World CarShare: http://worldcarshare.com
The broader issues behind carsharing? Check out @New Mobility at http://NewMoblity.org
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.