RE: [NewMobilityCafe] Follow up to traffic control discussion

  • Eric Bruun
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2006
      Martin

      Don't go too far with your condemnation of ITS. Don't forget that it
      also helps speed up transit, it provides real-time passenger information,
      it provides planning data, etc., etc.

      Eric Bruun

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006
        On 8 Dec 2006, at 19:14, Eric Bruun wrote:

        > Martin
        >
        > Don't go too far with your condemnation of ITS. Don't forget that it
        > also helps speed up transit, it provides real-time passenger
        > information,
        > it provides planning data, etc., etc.

        I don't think that a move away from the immediate control of
        junctions spells the end of ITS at all...

        ITS includes the measurement devices we will use to ensure that
        "naked junctions" are working in terms of traffic.

        There are other control systems that don't involve junctions or are
        not urban in nature... an example is Active Traffic Management as
        practised now on the M42 near Birmingham ( http://www.highways.gov.uk/
        roads/projects/4673.aspx )

        --
        Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT Aff. IRO
        transcience, 72 Staplehurst, BRACKNELL RG12 8DD
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006

          From: sujitjp@... [mailto:sujitjp@...] On Behalf Of Sujit Patwardhan

          Dear Friend,
          This is to invite you to an important programme organized by Janwani, on Monday 18 December at MCCI&A Tilak Road.
          Please make a note in your diary and make it a point to attend the presentation, details of which are given below.
          I will be grateful if you kindly acknowledge this message and please confirm that you will attend.
          Thanks,
          --
          Sujit

          RSVP: Please confirm your attendance. Thank you.

          INVITATION

          Janwani hosts a presentation on

          Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and Sustainable Transportation Policies

          by Venkat Rao Pindiprolu (USA)

          Date:    Monday 18 December 2006

          Time:    5.00 pm to 6.00 pm

          Venue: Mahratta Chamber of Commerce & Industries & Agriculture,
          Tilak Road, Pune 411 002

          Pune will be the first city in India to implement the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system. A pilot project is currently underway along the Hadapsar-Swargate-Katraj corridor, which will run for a total of 12.2 km along Solapur Road and Satara Road.

          Subsequent phases will add over a 100 kms of dedicated lane BRT, making it one of the most extensive BRT networks in the world!

          The National Urban Transport Policy, published by the Ministry of Urban Development, Govt. of India, stresses much improved Public Transport , a focus on Non-motorized Transport  (NMT) modes like cycling and walking and most importantly (and the least understood) policies for Transport Demand Management (TDM) as a comprehensive solution for solving the current urban transport crisis unfolding in cities across India.

          There is widespread agreement that cities, especially dense cities, cannot "build their way out of congestion", a mindset that is yet to change in Pune. It is seen that trying to do so, leads to "auto-dominated" cities, wherein the urban structures cater to the needs of the automobile rather than the needs of people and create attendant problems such as pollution.

          Such a holistic policy for addressing traffic problems was pioneered in Curitiba, Brazil and Bogotá, Colombia and several progressive cities around the world, like Manhattan, London and Amsterdam have implemented their own forms of TDM with spectacular results. The Congestion Charging scheme of London has been so effective in reducing congestion and pollution in Central London that it is now being emulated elsewhere.

          About the Speaker
          Mr. Venkat Rao Pindiprolu has been following the events in Pune closely and interacting with members of the Pune Traffic and Transportation Forum (PTTF) which has advocated such policies for Pune. His insights into BRT, its effective implementation and the need for radical changes in the way we think about traffic solutions in order to have an economically vibrant and also a liveable city will be of interest to this select group, whose opinions will undoubtedly influence policy in the city.

          Venkat has been with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for nearly 14 years. FTA is part of the US Department of Transport and evaluates Transit Proposals submitted by cities for Federal Funding and has been promoting BRT as an economically viable solution. His primary duties are to develop Transit Research and Development projects in consultation with transit agencies, supplier industry, universities, research institutes, professional associations, consultants and advisory committees. His current focus is on Bus Rapid Transit,
          and all bus-related research.

          Prior to joining the FTA, Venkat worked at the Maryland Mass Transit Administration (MTA), Baltimore, as the Manager, Systems Engineering. There, he was responsible for capital programs and major upgrades of electrical, electronic, and computer-based engineering projects.

          He has a Master of Science degree from Cranfield Institute of Technology, Cranfield, England; Master of Technology degree from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India; and Bachelor of Science degree from Andhra University College of Engineering, Kakinada, India.

          Sujit Patwardhan
          sujit@...
          sujitjp@...

          "Yamuna",