Re:Economist Intelligence Unit on road pricing

  • Stephen Plowden
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      In the meantime here is some information on a newly-released report from
      the Economist Intelligence Unit, which you can click to at the bottom of
      this page for the full report. Pretty good but it strikes me that they
      are saying nothing about perhaps other ways to achieve these same
      underlying objectives.
      And perhaps cheaper, better, and faster But we
      will be giving our attention to that part of the puzzle as well

      It is no surprise that the EIU is not saying anything about the alternatives to road pricing. British economists never do; they simply close their eyes to the fact that many towns and cities have done quite well with other methods of traffic restraint, or somehow dismiss them as theoretically inferior.  So I am glad that New Mobility is alert to this point.  Eric, would it be possible for you to get some city planner from Paris to describe their current approach for us?
    • Anzir Boodoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2006
        On 1 Dec 2006, at 17:59, Stephen Plowden wrote:

        > It is no surprise that the EIU is not saying anything about the
        > alternatives to road pricing. British economists never do; they
        > simply close their eyes to the fact that many towns and cities have
        > done quite well with other methods of traffic restraint, or somehow
        > dismiss them as theoretically inferior. So I am glad that New
        > Mobility is alert to this point.

        This is because the way we've been brought up as transport planners
        is to see road pricing as some sort of holy grail, and that the major
        economic cost imposed by road transport is the effect of congestion
        on other road users (this is what road user charging is a proxy for).

        Thinking about road pricing is coloured heavily by these economic
        externalities (ignoring the other externalities of car use on non car
        users). I got this drummed into me at University!

        --
        Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT Aff. IRO
        transcience, 72 Staplehurst, BRACKNELL RG12 8DD