Shell foundation and expertise centres

  • Interface for Cycling Expertise
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2001
      Here is my contribution for the Shell workshop on Sustainable
      Transport in the 21st Century.

      There is a move towards the establishment of expertise- and
      information centres on cycling. The USA already have established
      a clearing house. In Europe, I-ce is coordinating a consortium that
      may receive support from the EU to start up such a centre for
      Europe. Sustrans, based in Malaysia, has a long tradition in
      exchanging information and discussion and in Africa, there is
      interest to start such a service too. In Latin America, there are
      several initiatives for more exchange and cooperation, which will be
      coordinated in Velo Tropicalis.

      What we share is a huge need to know where we can get
      information, expertise and support, to learn from each other. A
      world wide exchange can be facilitated by centres on each
      continent. It is well known where the experts are located that can
      act as continent coordinators.

      World wide exchange would focus on
      � the significance of cycling (for mobility, economy, health, the environment, global climate)
      � strategies and master planning,
      � instruments and principles for user requirements
      � criteria for the planning of facilities,
      � effective measures and monitoring impacts (on mobility, economy, health, the environment, global climate),
      � institutional support systems,
      � support with expertise.

      What we need is financial support for the coordinators and their
      partners on the different continents and for the world wide link. A
      contribution per continent of 1 million US dollar for some years,
      would enable us to provide good quality

      Roelof Wittink
      Managing Director.

      Interface for Cycling Expertise (I-ce)