RE: June 8 Shell Foundation Workshop on Sustainable Transport, Energy, and Environment

  • Noel Hodson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001
      Eric

      It sounds like a good opportunity to bend their shell like ears to hear some
      sense. Coincidentally I last week visited Upton House, an English stately
      home in Oxfordshire built by the son of the founder of Shell. The family
      fortune was assured after Shell became the first company to transport oil
      via the new Suez Canal. Also coincidentally, I had supper with a retired
      Shell oil engineer who consults to Shell - he spent many words to try to
      convince us that Shell should drill in the Artic Refuge "now they have the
      technology to protect the environment and restore it after extraction". We
      were not convinced.

      Follow these rules and congestion and transport problems will be solved for
      many decades.

      1) People and Goods transport should be entirely separated as goods can be
      treated in ways people cannot be.

      2) Wet goods should travel in pipelines (like oil).

      3) Dry goods should travel in lightweight vacuum propelled capsules in
      pipelines.

      4) Solo drivers should be confined to cars no larger than the 6ft 3inch long
      Smart Car (Swatch/Daimler-Benz). All passenger vehicles should be
      re-designed to be Minimum Weight Vehicles (MWV's) and all vehicles should be
      road-taxed relative to their Size and Weight. Halving vehicle length
      effectively doubles the road network.

      5) In Cities such as London, Paris, New York etc that have navigable large
      rivers, river-buses and taxis use should be expanded - as a floating vehicle
      is also a Minimum Weight Vehicle.

      6) Linked and seamless foot and cycle paths should be provided as separate
      from roadways for vehicles, throughout all urban and rural areas.

      7) Telework should be encouraged. (Shell, London, were resistant to telework
      when I went to their offices in the Strand).

      8) Buses should be redesigned and be provided with inset Stops so as not to
      clog up the other traffic.

      9) Children should walk/cycle to school - or be collected by School Buses.

      10) Local shops should be restored to cut down Ring-Road-Car shopping.

      11) All "old" town centres should be pedestrianised with moving walkways to
      get people and their shopping in and out (to bus stations etc) quickly.

      12) In countries like the UK where they are incapable of operating a train
      system, the entire rail net-work should be tarmac'ed over as new roads for
      buses and goods vehicles only.

      QED.

      Noel Hodson
      SW2000 Teleworking Studies
      Experts Unlimited - Professional Advice Lines
      14 Brookside OXFORD OX3 7PJ UK
      Tel +44(0)1865-760994 Fax 764520
      Email: noelhodson@... <mailto:noelhodson@...>
      http://www.noelhodson.com