I NEED ASSISTANCE: Useable BTU's per Cubic Foot, and per Pound (weight)

  • On Behalf Of Daryl Oster
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006

      On Behalf Of Daryl Oster
      Sent:
      Friday, September 29, 2006 7:22 PM
      To: xTransit@yahoogroups.com

      It is not always a release of energy, but energy can also be absorbed (as in
      refrigeration cycles)-- exothermic (release of heat) OR endothermic
      (absorption of heat) process.

      > Also, there is a release of energy whenever the containment
      > pressure is reduced.

      Again, usually the case -- but not always

      > That may be of critical importance for
      > any vehicle powered by compressed water, compressed air,
      > or even the now popular (although I don't know why): compressed
      > natural gas. I don't see that you could go very far on
      > compressed natural gas if it was all brought on board pretrip,
      > commercially. (Now, maybe compressing the natural gas exiting
      > the passengers might be a more useful concept ! ! Is that
      > what they are doing ? )

      CNG (compressed natural gas) is a viable transportation fuel, it is in wide
      spread use in
      China -- most of the taxis in Chengdu run on CNG, as do
      hundreds of busses in CA. LPG (propane) is also a viable motor fuel in
      widespread use (many thousands of forklifts for example). Unfortunately,
      most do NOT recover the energy of compression (or the phase change energy --
      in the case of propane, vehicle cooling could be enhanced due to the
      endothermic process of propane vaporizing).

      > For your further information, this got me to thinking about
      > the ecology movements "global warming" project. I would suspect
      > that the surface air temps might be rising everywhere as a
      > result of increased dew falls, as a result primarily of increased
      > release of minute particles from various volcanoes for the past
      > twenty (20) years or so.

      A thousand years ago it was warm enough to farm Greenland -- then global
      cooling put an end to a couple hundred years of Greenland AG -- it is still
      too cold to farm Greenland as the Vikings did a thousand years ago. There
      are many natural cycles, and harmonics of natural cycles that affect global
      temperature much more than human factors do.

      > For transport WHILE THE DEW IS FALLING -- maybe only twenty (20)
      > minutes , and at an uncertain time each day in some markets,
      > there might be a chance to build and market a commercially viable
      > transport vehicle powered by such a power source.

      The "energy per cubic foot" would be abysmal! Not likely to be practical.

      > Anyway, while awaiting the data for various useable BTU per cubic
      > foot, I am going to turn to self-propelled transport, ie
      > with the person being the power source. I am thinking that
      > there might be some advantage to providing a way to "smooth"
      > the effort, in contrast to the systems now, which require the
      > rider to exert whatever energy is require at the moment.
      > I rode a bicycle this week, and I can tell you from experience,
      > that some of those are very tough moments ! ( And I HAD a 12 speed.)
      >
      > I was thinking maybe compressed air, or compressed water.

      Compressed gas energy storage IS practical, and in use (I'll dig up some
      references for you if you are interested). Compressing water is NOT
      practical (water is not very compressible) however, combining a compressed
      gas, AND a hydraulic fluid (could be water -- but usually oil is used) in a
      pressure accumulator, a very practical energy smoothing function can be
      realized. Eaton (a major manufacture of hydraulic equipment) has patented
      such a system for use on cars to recover braking energy. A hydraulic
      accumulator is capable of storing more energy per unit of mass and volume
      than the best batteries -- and will last longer too.

      > Regardless of what is compressed, the people who probably know the
      > most about this is the maker of the SMEAL fire truck pumper.
      >
      > Is it proper for NewMobility to recruit stakeholders ? I am not
      > certain about it, but , like I say, SMEAL should have something to
      > contribute to any solutions we might come up with.
      >
      > For example, I understand from my local fireman, that the water
      > temp in his fire engine is stored at 250 degrees, F. Most of that
      > energy is the result of pumping it in at 100 psi, and holding it
      > at maybe 300 psi.

      Most of that heat is probably caused by energy losses of running a pump
      without water flow to cool it-- not a direct result of compression.

      > There is no need for us to repeat the mistakes of trams about Paris
      > in a previous century where they tried to then put another fire
      > onboard to INCREASE the pressure more. That idea was going
      > BACKWARDS !

      Steam engines are more sustainable than muscle powered transport, but less
      sustainable than Diesel powered transport.

      > To my mind, the FORWARD direction is to do something like use the
      > tires to contain the stuff we would want under pressure. Maintain
      > the pressure by dynamic braking going downhill, braking to stop,
      > and exertion by those onboard. Have something to change the
      > configuration
      > of the profile of the tire, independently both inside and out !
      > (Would be easy to do with a computer control system onboard.)

      Pumping oil to hydraulic accumulators is much more efficient (about 90%)
      than compressing air (about 70%).

      > Should be able to get plenty of locomotion from all that for
      > a small vehicle. Name it "THE SCOOTER", from a historical
      > predecessor they used to build in the midwest USA ( I think those
      > even had a sail on them, and are reputed to be used to transit
      > both water and ice.) ( ICE is good !) And for HIGH psi,
      > the markets are probably NOT humid, so we are talking: Finland,
      > Estonia, Poland, Saskatchewan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Russia,
      > Lithia, Sudan (dropping the ice benefit), Cuiba Brazil, etc.

      The fastest sail "boat" sailed on frozen water at more than 150mph.

      > What is the name of that device presented last year on American TV ?
      > I would think they made a mistake in not positioning the wheels in
      > tandem. But I suppose their target was very smooth surfaces, only.
      > I bet I would bounce right off of their platform in my surface
      > environment !

      The segway is an over-priced toy, a $180 electric scooter will do the same
      job (except compensate for lack of self esteem).

      > However, their "pole" to hold onto is probably necessary. In my
      recent
      > biking experience, I concluded after the third hour of transport,
      > that the bike set is NOT for sitting -- it's purpose is to provide
      > stability by having a fixed bar pass between your leggs ! The higher
      > the more leverage I got ! No wonder that Tour de France winner had
      > testicular cancer.

      You should try out a recumbent bike -- defiantly designed for great sitting
      comfort (and much higher efficiency).

      > All that seems to my mind very doable, within six (6) months

      It IS being done now -- a few days ago a human powered vehicle went more
      than 1000km in 24 hours.

      > Relly, we can't use "friends" , either -- that is a term for
      > Republicans in the USA, Maybe Newt Gingrich started that via
      > his "friends of Newt"
      > howard finch
      > copyright September the 29th, 2006
      > all rights reserved by howard finch, USA ga tech class of 1966
      > Karl Bevins, mentor

      Most of my friends are still friends in spite of most of them being
      republicans and democrats.

      Daryl Oster
      (c) 2006 all rights reserved. ETT, et3, MoPod, "space travel on earth"
      e-tube, e-tubes, and the logos thereof are trademarks and or service marks
      of et3.com Inc. For licensing information contact: POB 1423, Crystal River
      FL 34423-1423 (352)257-1310, et3@... , www.et3.com>