Busway Operation

  • On Behalf Of Alan Howes
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2006
      On Behalf Of Alan Howes

      Must have a look at that website, Walter -

      But is your statement that "it requires a bus with doors on both sides
      of the bus" based on the premise that buses captive to the system will
      have high floors and platform-level loading on the off-side, while the
      "intruders" will have low-level boarding on the nearside? This is one
      way of doing it, but not the only way. All buses could have low floors
      and nearside boarding - the Ottawa Transitway is not closed, and AFAIK
      the buses have doors on one side only. (Not sure it has any captive
      buses though, and you may not consider it BRT.)

      In general, I see what you are driving at and agree - but one of the
      merits of BRT is that it is a flexible concept, not "one size fits all".
      If you want max capacity then you need mega-buses that will have
      problems on ordinary roads - but if you are prepared to sacrifice some
      capacity then a mix of bus sizes is fine.

      >From my [armchair] experience, I have concluded that the main constraint
      on capacity is actually the stations, particularly in a CBD or the like
      where large proportions of the pax on a bus are getting on or off.

      Alan

      --
      Alan Howes
      Associate Transport Planner