cycling in cities

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2006
      I'm afraid I consider it virtually an infringement of human rights for cyclists
      and pedestrians to have to put up with intrusion of continuous (i.e. every few
      seconds) motor traffic on their routes. And as a pedestrian I don't believe that
      pedestrian/cyclist conflict is a serious problem, as long as cyclists are
      expected to ride thoughtfully (which takes a lot less concentration than riding
      safely in the midst of continous car traffic) and shared use routes aren't
      installed in unsuitable locations.

      No doubt the 20+kph breed of cyclist will want streets designed up to motor
      vehicle standards, but there are those for whom double walking speed is an
      achievement and for whom the luxury of being able to think while one's riding is
      more important than getting to one's destination faster than a motorist can.

      Simon Norton
    • Anzir Boodoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2006
        Simon,
        On 22 Aug 2006, at 13:42, Simon Norton wrote:
        > I'm afraid I consider it virtually an infringement of human rights
        > for cyclists
        > and pedestrians to have to put up with intrusion of continuous
        > (i.e. every few
        > seconds) motor traffic on their routes. And as a pedestrian I don't
        > believe that
        > pedestrian/cyclist conflict is a serious problem, as long as
        > cyclists are
        > expected to ride thoughtfully (which takes a lot less concentration
        > than riding
        > safely in the midst of continous car traffic) and shared use routes
        > aren't
        > installed in unsuitable locations.
        >
        > No doubt the 20+kph breed of cyclist will want streets designed up
        > to motor
        > vehicle standards, but there are those for whom double walking
        > speed is an
        > achievement and for whom the luxury of being able to think while
        > one's riding is
        > more important than getting to one's destination faster than a
        > motorist can.
        In Bracknell, as in many New Towns and "planned communities", there
        are segregated cycle paths. However, these have evidently not been
        designed with pedestrians in mind, as they often cross or join
        footpaths without warning. The paths allow cyclists to build up a
        pretty decent speed (especially downhill), and suddenly joining or
        crossing a footpath is quite dangerous - I have nearly been run over
        several times.

        However, what is also not good here is that pedestrians and cyclists
        tend to be lumped together and segregated from the roads, such that
        cycleways very rarely meet roads, and local drivers very rarely come
        across cyclists.

        The big barrier I face in urban cycling (ie one of the main reasons
        why I don't here) is the lack of safe places to park in town.

        --
        Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT Aff. IRO
        transcience, 72 Staplehurst, BRACKNELL RG12 8DD