BOGOTA'S REFERENDUM

  • OSCAR EDMUNDO DIAZ
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2000
      I would like to call your attention to our new mobility project. The
      Mayor of Bogota has proposed a referendum in order to ask citizens
      for the city they want in 2015. More important than the outcome on
      the referendum is the fact that citizens are going to vote for the
      Bogota they want in 2015. It is the first time a Latin American city
      is discussing democratically how people want to mobilize in 15
      years. In order to enrich the debate your opinion and support is
      wanted. We appreciate it if you send us a support letter or e-mail
      with your opinion on this historical referendum.

      Below you will find the press release including the 2 questions.
      Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require additional
      information at the following phone number (571) 350-7191 or fax
      number (571) 352-1618.

      Best regards,

      OSCAR EDMUNDO DIAZ
      Asesor en Asuntos Internacionales - Advisor on Foreign Affairs -
      Consejeria para la Nacion y las Relaciones Internacionales
      - Special Advisor Office for National and Foreign Affairs -
      Alcaldia Mayor - Office of the Mayor -
      Calle 10 # 3 - 61
      Bogota
      COLOMBIA
      Tels: (571) 352-1611 / (571) 337-5320 / (571) 350-6301
      Fax: (571) 352-1618
      Home Page: http://www.alcaldiabogota.gov.co
      E-mail: consnacion@...
      diazoe@...

      BOGOTA'S REFERENDUM
      PRESS RELEASE

      The City of Bogota is to hold a referendum on October 29, 2000
      proposing a ban on car use during peak hours beginning January 1st,
      2015. Should the people of Bogota vote favorably on this issue, cars
      would be banned from using any city street from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30
      a.m. and from 4:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. during weekdays.

      The referendum also includes a proposal about establishing the
      celebration of a Car Free Day once a year, as of the year 2001, every
      first Thursday of February in Bogota. Car circulation would be
      prohibited on this day from 6:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.

      Bogota, a 6.5 million inhabitants city, whose population is growing
      160,000 per year, has a low motorization rate, with only 120 cars per
      1,000 people. More than 80% of the population uses a low-quality bus
      system. The present city administration is structuring a very modern
      bus system based on exclusive bus ways which should reach all points
      in the city by the year 2015. The current administration has also
      promoted bike use which has grown from 0,5% to nearly 4% today. A
      bike path network of more than 200 kilometers is being built and
      should be in operation by the beginning of the year 2001.

      Bogota at 2,600 meters of altitude, thus with a low oxygen content in
      the air, needs all the clean air it can get. Despite the low number
      of motor vehicles, the city already evidences severe air pollution
      problems, which should get worse once Colombia gets over the economic
      recession which it is currently going through and car sales pick up.

      Bogota has peculiar conditions and traditions, which makes it
      possible for the city to become the first in the world to solve its
      mobility problems based on a total restriction of car use. Bogota has
      a 15 ºC (57 ºF) temperature year round which makes it easy to
      walk a
      few blocks to a bus stop or to ride a bike a few kilometers. It has a
      high population density at 210 inhabitants per hectare and the
      average distance of 8 kilometers for home-to-work or study trips is
      rather short. Bogota already restricts car use at peak hours, taking
      out of circulation 35% of cars every day through a system based on
      the last digit of the car license plate. Every Sunday more than one
      and half million people use 110 kilometers of main arteries, which
      the city closes to all traffic during 7 hours for recreational
      purposes, mainly for the use of bicycles. Bogota also held the most
      successful car free day in the world last February 24 in which the
      city functioned normally without any cars on the streets except for
      taxis.

      Beyond the transportation and environmental reasons to carry out the
      proposal, Mayor Enrique Peñalosa emphasizes its social integration
      implications. In a city with severe income inequalities and
      geographical segregation between poor and rich neighborhoods, the new
      system will seat together in buses high-level managers and shanty
      town dwellers and have them stand next to each other at traffic
      lights on their bikes, not separated by the window of a luxury car.

      City authorities believe that discussion on the issue will raise
      awareness about the type of city people want for their children.

      TEXT TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE DECISION OF THE CITIZENS OF BOGOTA

      Two (2) questions will be submitted to the citizens that comprise the
      electoral census of Bogota, the first, about the Car Free Day, and
      the second, about the Vehicular restriction beginning the year 2015,
      which texts are as follows:

      "Car Free Day" Question

      REFERENDUM BOGOTA D.C.

      QUESTION:

      ¿Do you agree, YES or NO, with establishing the celebration of a
      day
      without cars beginning the year 2001, prohibiting automotive vehicle
      circulation in the city of Bogota D.C., the first Thursday of the
      month of February of every year, in the schedule comprehended between
      6:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.

      The following vehicles will be excluded from the above prohibition:
      public transport vehicles, equipped vehicles for disabled citizens,
      emergency vehicles (ambulances, firemen), properly authorized student
      transport services, special transportation services like wage-earning
      drivers who mobilize more than 10 passengers, vehicles delivering
      services for public companies, vehicles destined to traffic control
      and cranes of the secretariat of transit and transportation,
      presidential caravan, military vehicles and police, vehicles assigned
      to diplomatic core, vehicles with a 3 level shield or superior,
      vehicles destined to be escorts, funeral float, motorcycles,
      motorcars and bicycle taxis?

      YES NO BLANK VOTE

      "Vehicular restriction beginning the year 2015" Question

      REFERENDUM BOGOTA D.C.

      QUESTION:

      ¿Do you agree, YES or NO, with the objective of building an
      environmentally sustainable city, with cleaner air, less traffic
      congestion and a better quality of life, by prohibiting, starting
      January 1 of the year 2015, the circulation of all automotive
      vehicles in the city of Bogota D.C., on work days, in the schedule
      comprehended between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., and between 4:30 p.m.
      and 7:30 p.m.

      The following vehicles will be excluded from the above prohibition:
      public transport vehicles, equipped vehicles for disabled citizens,
      emergency vehicles (ambulances, firemen), properly authorized student
      transport services, special transportation services like wage-earning
      drivers who mobilize more than 10 passengers, vehicles delivering
      services for public companies, vehicles destined to traffic control
      and cranes of the secretariat of transit and transportation,
      presidential caravan, military vehicles and police, vehicles assigned
      to diplomatic core, vehicles with a 3 level shield or superior,
      vehicles destined to be escorts, funeral float, motorcycles,
      motorcars and bicycle taxis?

      YES NO BLANK VOTE

      -------------------------------------
    • C Kenneth Orski
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2000
        > BOGOTA'S REFERENDUM
        > PRESS RELEASE
        >
        > The City of Bogota is to hold a referendum on October 29, 2000
        > proposing a ban on car use during peak hours beginning January 1st,
        > 2015. Should the people of Bogota vote favorably on this issue, cars
        > would be banned from using any city street from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30
        > a.m. and from 4:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. during weekdays.

        Mr. Diaz --
        Would you kindly let us know the results of the referendum.
        Thank you
        C Kenneth Orski
        Director
        MIT International Mobility Observatory