Carpooling Web Site in Ireland -- and then from there. . .

  • ecopl@n.adsl
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2000
      We just received notice of an article about a new Web site in Ireland --
      WWW.Dublintraffic.ie -- that allows drivers to set-up carpools with others
      from their area. The Link to story from The Irish Times (Dublin,
      Ireland):http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/computimes/2000/0925/computimes2.h
      tm

      I pass this on to the group in part because of its interest in itself, but
      also with the following thought in mind.

      It strikes me that one of the solutions for more public support and media
      exposure (new and old media) for carsharing groups is to consider adding on
      some like activities, and in the process gradually developing into more of a
      full function alternative mobility provider for their community. Of courses
      this requires maturity and balance as well as enthusiasm and energy to get
      right, but might this not be a way to widen your niche?

      Carpooling and ridesharing are tough nuts to crack - and the records show
      many more failures than successes, with many of the later being
      disappointing short lived. That said, we have learned a lot over the last
      two decades of trying, and there is plenty there to build on.

      Other possible business add-ons for a well equipped, well managed carsharing
      group might include: vanpool services, better integrated service provision
      in conjuction with local taxi operators, public bike programs for their
      community, and the list goes on. Many of these add-ons could not only be
      done in many places with the support of public funding, but it strikes me
      that the very process of increased public/private cooperation and
      interaction will help us to do our carshare jobs better (i.e., better access
      to parking, deals with public employers, etc.)

      I almost think that we should set up a special Roundtable on this, perhaps
      in conjuction with the major overhaul of the site that I would very much
      like to get to in the next few weeks. Any thoughts on that?

      Eric Britton

      ecopl@n ___ technology, economy, society ___
      Eric.Britton@... URL www.ecoplan.org
      Telephone +331 4326 1323
      Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
      Fax + Voicemail: +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)