Living without my car - Observer pieces

  • ecopl@n.adsl
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2000
      Simon Baddeley <s.j.baddeley@...> kindly brings these interesting UK
      angle articles on cars, transport and money to our attention. You'll find
      them at
      http://www.observer.co.uk/cash/0,6903,,00.html
    • patrice.husson@cec.eu.int
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2000
        Message to all Commission staff (Brussels)
        >>internal EU staff communication of today:

        Subject : _European Car Free Day_, 22 September 2000

        Many of us in the Commission and in Brussels in general have experienced _car
        free_ or car restricted days recently. Against this background, we would like to
        draw your attention to the fact that over 800 cities, including some
        municipalities in Brussels, will take part in the _European Car Free Day_ on
        Friday 22 September. This truly pan-European event seeks to underline the
        importance of improving air quality, highlighting the adverse effects of
        unlimited car use in city centres and promoting sustainable urban development.
        This Friday, bicycles, pedestrians, and public transport networks will be on the
        move from Lisbon to Helsinki and from Dublin to Athens. Around thirty cities
        from outside the European Union will also take part including Buenos Aires,
        Geneva and Tel Aviv and cities from countries that are candidates for accession
        to the European Union.

        For the second year running, the European Commission will promote this important
        event. Recent events will make the Car Free Day 2000 particularly poignant. A
        group of some 300 cyclists will ride through Brussels accompanied by several
        Commissioners and Commission colleagues, journalists and members of leading
        environmental NGOs. So, saddle up on 22 September (or just take public transport
        for the day) and support the European Car Free Day!

        | Details of the itinerary and the buildings for which access will be
        particularly affected, can be found on | the website at
        http://www.ieb.be/smob/index.htm and EC intranet (/guide/ghk/index.htm)

        Margot Wallström Neil Kinnock