Organization of Discussions - Please Note

  • ecopl@n.adsl
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2000
      Martin Strid of the Swedish National Road Administration recently asked for
      clarification concerning the sometimes confusing plethora of programs and
      discussion groups under The Commons and the @ccess Cluster. Fair enough,
      let me see if I can quickly clarify.

      SINCE WHAT FOLLOWS CONCERNS THE QUALITY AND EFFICIENCY OF ALL COMMUNICATIONS
      UNDER THESE FORA, I WOULD KINDLY ASK YOU TO GIVE IT YOUR ATTENTION BEFORE
      SENDING ANY FURTHER EMAIL TO ANY OF THE GROUPS. For that I thank you most
      sincerely.

      1. Each of the several dozen programs under The Commons has its own
      dedicated discussion group. Each is run under eGroups, for better or worse,
      and offers much more than a simple 1985-style "List". That said, in every
      case the eGroups components (discussion forum, libraries, etc.) are not the
      principle focus but rather just a useful support function.

      2. In an attempt to clarify how all these programs eventually work together,
      we have entirely restructured the opening pages of The Commons (at
      http://ecoplan.org) and would ask you to have a look when you have a moment.
      You will note that all programs are now fully explained and conveniently
      linked and accessible from the opening page of the site.

      3. Those sites dealing with transport-related matters (@ccess Mobility
      Solutions, Car Free Days, Carsharing, Ciudades, Children on the Move!, etc.)
      each have their own discussion area, but these are intended specifically for
      exchanges that concern the IMMEDIATE interests and concerns of that forum.
      (Before using any of these, we ask everyone first to read the Welcoming Note
      at http://ecoplan.org/general/welcome.htm, and in particular the brief
      section on "Message Procedures and Etiquette". I realize that to those of
      you who are very busy this may seem like a bore and waste of time, but if in
      fact the simple rules are not followed by us all, the time that gets wasted
      is that of our colleagues. So thanks for being patient and a good neighbor,
      and doing this.)

      4. For more general discussion of matters related to transport, mobility and
      access, you are invited to address and use the @World Forum, which has been
      set up under the @ccess on the Web program at http://www.ecoplan.org/access.
      Our reasoning behind this is simple: we want to make sure that good
      discussions and useful information which may be of interest to all the
      groups does not get side-tracked into a specific program area and thereby
      lost to the rest. To post messages to the group as a whole, the address is
      access-forum@egroups.com. To read the messages, you can either get to the
      @ccess World Forum with a single click from your site under The Commons, or
      alternatively (but less conveniently) go to
      http://www.egroups.com/messages/access-forum.

      5. To avoid an eventual email overload, you may wish to sign in to the
      @ccess eGroups site -- and once there go to the Member section, find your
      name, click it and then modify your settings so that either (a) you receive
      only the Daily Digest or (b) set your listing to Email Only/Read on the Web.
      In the latter case, you may wish to check in from time to time to see what
      is happening in the discussions and contributions.

      6. Finally, we can recommend that you check out the Search Functions of each
      of the sites, including in particular those associated with @ccess on the
      Web site which are scanning not only our own programs but also a growing
      number of other sites on the Web that are generating interesting and useful
      materials in the areas that concern us.

      I do hope that this is reasonably clear and that you will put these powerful
      group work tools to good use. We've got them, the need is certainly there,
      so we might as well do the best we can.

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

      ecopl@n ___ technology, economy, society ___
      Eric.Britton@... URL www.ecoplan.org
      Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79
      Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
      Voicemail/Fax hotline: Europe +331 5301 2896
      Voicemail/Fax hotline: North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)