Ferrari 275 GTB drives through Paris streets at breakneck speed

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2006

      I am rather sure that we are going to have some rather different reactions here to this, but let me at least tell me why I am sending it to you.  Let me start by telling you what it is:

      On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

      No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

      The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

      Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago.

      Click here: Rendezvous - Google Video

      Now, why? Well, I don’t really quite know but there is something about this obvious madness, this patently anti-social behaviour that is not just one isolated corner of our society; it is somehow in many of our heads. My own theory has for years been that when you put anyone into the driver’s seat and slam the door, a monster emerges. You or I may not see it, but to almost anyone at the wheel there is a more than modest ration of kinetic impatience and aggressive behavior that suddenly is there. You or I may be (or think we are) civil, responsible, careful, but that basic character deformation comes with the murderous, two tons of hurtling steel and glass that we think we possess/have control over.

      Executive Summary: Weird, but probably worth troubling ourselves with for a few minutes.