on-street parking is the most efficient type of

  • Todd Alexander Litman
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24 8:10 AM

      On the other hand, on-street parking is the most efficient type of parking that can be provided. Most off-street spaces only serve a single destination and so have low load factors, while on-street spaces serve many destinations and have high load factors, and so are more efficient overall. Also, off-street spaces require driveways which use a portion of the curb and cross sidewalks. For these reasons many urban planners now support the provision of a maximum number of on-street spaces and a minimum number of off-street spaces (for discussion of ways to use parking facilities more efficiently see my new report "Parking Management" (http://www.vtpi.org/park_man.pdf ) and book "Parking Management Best Practices" ( http://www.planning.org/bookservice/description.htm?BCODE==APMB ).

      If the choice is really between sidewalks and on-street parking I would generally choose providing a sidewalk, but it is desirable to provide on-street parking where possible.

      Best wishes,
      -Todd Litman

      At 07:01 AM 4/24/2006, Lee Schipper wrote:
      Years ago a good Swedish Transport economist posed the same question. by measuring how much time people spent walking to where
      there was green space, he figured out that providing on-street parking rather than more green space and broader sidewalks led to a real
      economic loss. His advice was to provide parking only in private, commercial areas (he also looked at how much off-street parking cost).

      One benefit of such an approach * say every other street in NYCity had no parking...just bays for deliveries here and there * front yards would reappaear
      and children and families could play in the streets more safely!

      >>> whook@... 4/24/2006 9:44:09 AM >>>
      Eric,

      Paul white and i had a related idea over lunch the other day, and we were
      wondering if this has ever been tried.

      What if all the property owners and permanent tenants living along a block
      of urban street were given the choice by the municipality of whether they
      wanted the space in front of their house dedicated to car parking or
      sidewalk?  How many residents would vote for car parking?   It might be done
      something like this.  The department of transport could determine the needed
      road capacity, but the parking units would be a function of ultra local
      democracy.  What if as a result, each permanent resident or registered
      voter, or even just each property tax payer, on a city block got to
      determine the democratic use of the public space in front of their property.
      Since it is currently most of the time dedicated to parking, at least in the
      US, even if only 10% voted to get rid of the parking, that would be 10% of
      the parking units we could reclaim.  On my block i would guess that maybe
      50% would opt for a wider sidewalk. Then a block association could be free
      to contract an architect to redesign the street with that same number of
      units of parking.

      I am wondering if there are any successful examples of this sort of ultra
      local democracy?

      Walter

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24 8:24 AM

        I would like to weigh in on this one, with what may to some of you look like nothing more than a “personal religious prejudice” about matters of transport policy and practice that I have consistently courted for my entire career.  Which has consistently biased me against not only off-street parking but also putting money into underground rail.

        The nice thing about on street parking and all that visible traffic, congestion, etc. is that you cannot avoid seeing it. It is the nature of man that if we can avoid coming to grips with a problem, no matter how grave, because it is hidden, we will. So let’s keep our problems right in front of our noses – as a constant reminder that we better do something about them.

        BTW, I am a bit surprised that my proposal for annual open citizen mini-surveys of transport priorities in their cities has occasioned such a deafening silence. Hmm. And I thought it was/is a real great and useful idea. Hmm.