Sustainable Transport in the EU II

  • David Stein
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2006
      Hopefully my message will make it through this time............

      I recommend as part of any syllabus reading on sustainable transport/mobility the book by David Banister et al. titled "European Transport Policy and Sustainable Mobility" which features a good overview of policy analysis of transport in Europe and how targets to lower auto use and increase public and non-motorized transport could be achieved. It has input from several noted academics in this area and is also written in a non-complicated version of English.

      The EU has sponsored several projects covering this topic which has produced an abundance of literature and guidebooks on "good practices." Unfortunately, the results of these projects are not well publicized enough (from my perspective) and have been limited to those  involved in these projects and their associates. However, such projects and their results could mostly be obtained online  at the Land-use and Transport Cluster Web site: http://www.lutr.net/

      If anyone would be interested in some sample material from one of these projects, please contact me directly.

      David Stein
    • Mari Jüssi
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 12:54 AM
        David Stein wrote:
        > The EU has sponsored several projects covering this topic which has

        > produced an abundance of literature and guidebooks on "good
        > practices." Unfortunately, the results of these projects are not well
        > publicized enough (from my perspective) and have been limited to
        > those involved in these projects and their associates. However, such
        > projects and their results could mostly be obtained online at the
        > Land-use and Transport Cluster Web site: http://www.lutr.net/

        Another of these EU projects is PORTAL, at http://www.eu-portal.net
        which tries to summarize many best practice projects and includes
        teaching materials, slides, photos etc, glossary and recommendations for
        further reading. Some of these teaching materials are translated into 16
        EU languages, but unfortunately some smaller languages are not
        translated professionally.

        Regards,
        Mari Jüssi
        Estonian Green Movement
        www.roheline.ee
      • Stephen Plowden
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3 9:04 AM
          In 1992 the late John Roberts and others edited a book consisting of 25
          papers by different experts on behalf of the Labour Paerty. John
          Prescott, now British Deputy Prime Minister, wrote the foreword. The
          book is called "Travel sickness, the need for a sustainable transport
          policy for Britain" and was published by Lawrence and Wishart. Some of
          it is a bit dated, especially the article on air travel, but most is
          still relevant .