An International Prize for the Car Free Day efforts in South Africa

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2005

      An International Prize for the Car Free Day efforts in South Africa

      I would like to put the following idea before you, for your ideas and collaboration.

      If you go today to the New Mobility Agenda site at http://www.newmobility.org and click the News link on the top menu – and then once you are there as Google to sort the entries in terms of Relevant (that’s it just to your left) – you will see more than FIFTY media articles on their Car Free Day efforts there.  Three things strike mea bout this that I would like to share with you in this context:

      ·         First their sheer number – way outperforming media coverage of Car Free Days anywhere else in the world.

      ·         Second, the wide open attitude – often very critical – of the journalists, of those they interview and of the various government agencies and officials involved. I find this striking and hugely encouraging.

      ·         And finally the fact that all this appears to be shaping a consensus and public support for major rethinking of their existing transportation arrangements.

      To my mind, that is what a Car Free Day is supposed to be all about.

      So. . . now the easy part.

      Who can help us come up with a prize and nice high profile recognition?

      Be smart. Be good.  Be part of the solution.

      Eric Britton

      The New Mobility Agenda is on line at  http://www.newmobility.org

      Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara                      75006 Paris, France