Boston SABR Chapter Announcement

  • Joanne Hulbert
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2007
      The Boston SABR Chapter regrets the resignation of their Chairman, Seamus
      Kearney, who, apparently would rather be in Philadelphia. Therefore, the
      Phillies' gain is our loss. We all wish Seamus the best as he advances on to
      retirement and although he will still albeit from afar root for the Red Sox, we
      will grant him the privilege of helping Philadelphia in their pursuit of, at the
      very least, the NL East pennant.
      Filling such a significant gap in the Boston Chapter was not an easy task.
      After a prolonged period of negotiations, compromises and general gnashing
      of teeth, an agreeable plan was arrived at for the Seamus Replacement. The
      decision was made for a Co-Chairmanship, aka the Coco-Chairmanship of
      Boston SABR (a crisp decision that will not lowell our standards but drew alot
      of hot air and won't cost us a shilling).
      Three persons have agreed to somehow fill the role and will make a strong
      commitment to carry on the great programs that Seamus started.
      Dan Desrochers, Joanne Hulbert and David Laurila each bring varied
      experience to the table, and invite all interested persons to become involved
      in Chapter activities.
      The first issue of interest is considering new and unique locations for
      meetings. For the past few years, we have gathered at the Friends
      Meetinighouse in Cambridge, a location that has served us very well.
      Although we may not abandon the location, we are considering other
      locations and invite suggestions. A few so far have included the Lowell
      Spinners ballpark and the John Harvard Brewpub.
      Also, the Hot Stove meetings in Cambrdige during the winter have been
      popular. Similar meetings in other locations could easily be organized if just
      a few members get together at other locations.
      Work is still on-going with several projects nearing completion. The 1918
      Red Sox book is coming along and the 1950s is still a work in progress.
      Recently Bill Nowlin has suggested a 1939 Red Sox book.
      Members of the Boston Chapter, and any interested persons beyond the
      Boston area, are encouraged to let your thoughts, opinions and suggestions
      known. Please contact us, we are open to new ideas.

      Joanne Hulbert, Co-Chair, BostonSABR Chapter
      jhulbert@...