SABR Boston March 29 Meeting Announcement

  • Joanne Hulbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2008
      SABR
      Boston Chapter

      Announcement of Their Next Meeting

      The Cy Young Birthday & Spring Training-To-Opening Day Meeting

      On Saturday, March 29, 2008, 10:30 AM to 4 PM the Boston Chapter of SABR
      will meet to celebrate Cy Young's 141st birthday and to get everyone revved
      up as Boston starts working toward their next World Series sweep.

      The meeting will be held once again at The Baseball Tavern, 1270 Boylston
      Street, Boston, one block from Fenway Park. The location has become very
      popular with everyone who has attended the last two meetings. Having a look
      at the McGreevy collection all around the second floor meeting room is alone
      worth the trip.

      The committee is now working on the program lineup. Stay tuned for more
      information regarding the program agenda as plans unfold.

      We will also be offering the popular Ten-Minute Presentations, and anyone
      who wants to join in please let me know. Time slots are limited so volunteer
      early!

      If you have an item to donate to the raffle table, we would greatly appreciate it.
      Books, autographed baseballs, or any memorabilia you've outgrown, lost
      interest in or no longer have space for will go a long way toward helping the
      Boston Chapter keep up with expenses.

      So mark your calendar, Saturday March 29, at The Baseball Tavern, and be
      there for another memorable gathering and to wish Cy Young a happy 141st
      birthday.

      Joanne Hulbert, SABR Boston Chapter
      jhulbert@...

      The Chicago Evening Post indulges in the following prophecy:
      HE'LL BE PITCHING STILL
      On the morning of the Judgment, when friend Gabriel calls the game,
      He'll be somewhat disappointed when he cries one famous name;
      For in all those countless legions who will answer to the roll,
      There will be one fellow missing and may peace be on his soul.
      There will be one man too busy to come in and learn his fate;
      He'll be working while the others try to horn in past the gate;
      For when Gabriel toots his trumpet and we all rise from the hay,
      Old Cy Young will not be present – he'll be pitching ball that day.
      The Sporting News, pg.4, September 21, 1911.