Birthday wishes to Dummer Michael Sylvester

  • David Sylvester
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2010
      I'd like to wish a Happy Birthday to my great grandfather "Mike"
      Sylvester.

      Dummer Michael "Mike" Sylvester born 19 January 1865 in Etna,
      Penobscot County, Maine son of Daniel Sylvester (Calvin 6, Edmund
      5, Zebulon 4, Zebulon [Silvester] 3, Israel 2, Richard 1) and Eliza
      Wolf Friend (Amos 7, Phineas 6, Benjamin 5, John 4, John 3, James
      2, John 1). He died 1 March 1958 in Searsport, Waldo County, Maine
      and is buried in Gordon Cemetery in Searsport.

      Evelyn Lissie Cochran born 20 April 1868 in Etna daughter of
      Randall Nelson Cochran (Samuel) and Phebe Elizabeth Glidden
      (William Stinson 7, Ezekial Averill 6, Benjamin 5, Charles 4,
      Charles 3, Richard 2, Charles 1). She was missing June or July 1917
      -- nothing further.

      Mike and Evelyn (third cousins) married 4 July 1891 as her second
      marriage. She had previously married Mr. Elbridge in 1888 in
      Carmel, Penobscot County, Maine.

      Children:

      1. Lionel Nelson Sylvester born 7 April 1892, died December 1945,
      married Mabel Stark 8 Nov 1917. One son. Later married Leona Jones.
      Two daughters.

      2. Vivian Daniel Sylvester born 20 November 1893 in Hartland,
      Somerset County, Maine, died 24 October 1968. Married Evangeline
      Estelle Washburn of Madison, Somerset County, Maine daughter of
      Edward Jones Washburn and Alice Eldora Williams 22 June 1916 in
      Madison. Two sons. (my line)

      3. Gertrude Pansy Sylvester born 13 July 1899 in St. Albans,
      Somerset County, Maine, died 28 May 1981, married Charles Roland
      Gordon 1 May 1921. One son and four daughters.

      Mike was a farmer and a carpenter. In addition to the towns above
      Mike and Evelyn also lived in Plymouth, Penobscot County, Maine
      (1920); Belfast, Waldo County, Maine; Searsport, Waldo County,
      Maine where he was manager of the farm on Sears Island (1916-1917).

      After Evelyn's disappearance in 1917 Mike moved back to Belfast.
      Mike married Harriet J. Hooper or Harriet J. Martin of Belfast on 1
      May 1918. In 1920 Mike was living in Belfast with his daughter
      Gertrude. In 1930 he was living in Simsbury, Hartford County,
      Connecticut with Gertrude's family. At some point in time he lived
      briefly in Florida.

      I remember him as "Old Gramps" (my great-grandfather) when I was a
      child. During that time he lived in Gertrude's home on Brock Road
      in Searsport where he died in 1958.

      Dummer Michael Sylvester should not be confused with his half
      brother Dummer Sylvester. The elder Dummer Sylvester was born 22
      July 1839 and died 9 December 1862 in Yorktown, Virginia while in
      U.S. Service. Dummer Sylvester was son of Daniel Sylvester and Mary
      Jane Mitchell. Dummer Sylvester deceased more than 2 years before
      Dummer Michael Sylvester was born.

      1-- Richard Silvester (1608-1663) Naomi Torrey (1612-____)
      2-- Israel Silvester (1646-1727) Martha Bryant (1652-1727)
      3-- Zebulon Silvester (1689-1766) Mary Turner (1690-____)
      4-- Zebulon Sylvester (1731-____) Letitia or Letershe Shippee
      5-- Edmund Sylvester (1751-____) Mary Hall (____-____)
      6-- Calvin Sylvester (1782-1813) Huldah Barden (____-____)
      7-- Daniel Sylvester (1811-1867) Eliza Wolf Friend (1838-1908)
      8-- Dummer Michael Sylvester (1865-1958) Evelyn Lissie Cochran
      (1868-1917)
      9-- Vivian Daniel Sylvester (1893-1968) Evangeline Estelle
      Washburn (1895-1981)
      10--Living Sylvester (1917-) Living Merry (1924-)
      11--David Wayne Sylvester (1951-) Living (1955-)
      12--Living Sylvester (1991-)

      1-- Richard Silvester (1608-1663) Naomi Torrey (1612-____)
      2-- John Silvester (1635-____) Sarah (____-1706)
      3-- Joseph Sylvester (1674-____) Mary (____-____)