Potential Cheap Fabric Opportunity

  • Kelsey
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7 3:15 AM
      I'm living in Korea for a year right now, teaching, and two weeks ago a visiting reenactor
      friend and I went to Seoul, and went to the massive, massive fabric market there (it is
      several square blocks). While there, we found several merchants selling 100% linen and
      100% wools (at least, that's what the bolts said, and it felt/looked correct) for
      phenomenally cheap prices. Colored linens were mostly around $4/yd (give or take a
      dollar or so), and less for unbleached. Wools were a bit more expensive, but still very
      cheap for proper, fulled wool - about $10/yd for cloak-weight.

      I did not have a lighter with me to do a burn test, but I will be going back next weekend,
      and will be doing one then. If all goes well, I will be purchasing some fabric for both
      myself and some friends. I would love to help out my fellow reenactors, and if the fabric I
      send back to the states gets good reviews, I will start to put together an order list for a
      later trip. Many of the bolts are rather narrow, but as many of you know, many fabrics in
      period were made in narrower widths as well, hence much of the piecing, etc, that one
      sees in original garments.

      For those curious, some photos can be found here:
      http://flickr.com/photos/antipeople/tags/fabricmarket/

      The linens, and linen merchant, can be seen here:
      http://flickr.com/photos/antipeople/2715076703/ and
      http://flickr.com/photos/antipeople/2715904764/

      If all goes well with the burn tests, I will not really be seeking to make much more than
      enough to cover my travel costs. I just want to see more people out on the field with
      quality fabric, and making cheap fabric available will certainly help with that.

      I have cross-posted this to a few lists, and I apologize in advance to those of you who
      have to see this message multiple times.

      Your humble servant,

      Kelsey Freeman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8 8:22 PM
        Hi Kelsey,
           Is there any way that you could get some samples to share with the folks here at home.  I don't speak for anyone else, but I would be leary about buying large amounts of fabric, sight unseen, just because it is inexpensive.
        Thanks,
        Tom Craig

[...]

          Pilot, Sailor, Anachronism.