Re: Repositories

  • ppd652
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2008
      Rob,

      The Massachusetts archives has a huge collection of primary
      references dating from the 1600s. Although I have never delved into
      their CW collection, I have found a great many unpublished letters,
      etc. from revwar and prior. Also the Mass National Guard used to
      have an archive with a lot of CW documents, but I think they moved
      the stuff somewhere else.

      The Massachusetts Archives is located next to the JFK Library and the
      UMass Boston campus in Dorchester (take I-93 North to the JFK - Umass
      exit). The staff is very helpful and it is usually not crowded on
      weekdays.

      Bob Firth
      Awkward Squad Mess

      --- In NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com, rgrandchamp40@... wrote:

      > Pards,
      >
      > As many of you know I have been an active writer of CW History for
      the last
      > two years. I am now in the process of developing an article on the
      1864
      > presidential election and how NE soldiers were able to sway many
      who would have
      > voted for Little Mac through letters home and other means. My
      problem is where I
      > currently reside-Little Rhodie. The state is only so big and I am
      asking if
      > any of you know of any repositories-outside of Boston, within a
      two hour
      > drive of Providence. Especially I am looking for small town
      libraries or
      > historical societies that might have CW material for the project.
      Any help is
      > appreciated and I can be found at _rgrandchamp40@..._
      > (mailto:rgrandchamp40@...)
      >
      > PS- The Seventh RI Book was released this week and has been doing
      well, all
      > reviews have been positive "A right good read!"
      >
      > Respectfully,
      >
      > Robert Grandchamp
      > Graduate Student
      > Dept. of History
      > Rhode Island College
      >

      > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
      Music.
      > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
      NCID=aolcmp003000000025

    • bgbrother@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2008
        The National Guard stuff is in Worcester, MA. On the corner of Grove and Salisbury street. They are open Tues-Friday. The curator is a good guy and formerly worked at the Institute of Heraldry, COL Kondratuik. There is also another museum in Worcester the Anthenium which hold huge amounts of printed materials, periodicals and the like. Worcester being a straight shot down 146 from Woonsocket it might be an easier trip. i recommend calling ahead. I live in Worcester so if i can be of any further assistance contact me off the board. BgBrother@...

        Tom Gingras

        The Massachusetts archives has a huge collection of primary
        references dating from the 1600s. Although I have never delved into
        their CW collection, I have found a great many unpublished letters,
        etc. from revwar and prior. Also the Mass National Guard used to
        have an archive with a lot of CW documents, but I think they moved
        the stuff somewhere else.

        The Massachusetts Archives is located next to the JFK Library and the
        UMass Boston campus in Dorchester (take I-93 North to the JFK - Umass
        exit). The staff is very helpful and it is usually not crowded on
        weekdays.

        Bob Firth
        Awkward Squad Mess

        --- In NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com, rgrandchamp40@ ... wrote:

        > Pards,
        >
        > As many of you know I have been an active writer of CW History for
        the last
        > two years. I am now in the process of developing an article on the
        1864
        > presidential election and how NE soldiers were able to sway many
        who would have
        > voted for Little Mac through letters home and other means. My
        problem is where I
        > currently reside-Little Rhodie. The state is only so big and I am
        asking if
        > any of you know of any repositories- outside of Boston, within a
        two hour
        > drive of Providence. Especially I am looking for small town
        libraries or
        > historical societies that might have CW material for the project.
        Any help is
        > appreciated and I can be found at _rgrandchamp40@ ..._
        > (mailto:rgrandchamp 40@...)
        >
        > PS- The Seventh RI Book was released this week and has been doing
        well, all
        > reviews have been positive "A right good read!"
        >
        > Respectfully,
        >
        > Robert Grandchamp
        > Graduate Student
        > Dept. of History
        > Rhode Island College
        >

        > ************ **Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
        Music.
        > (http://music. aol.com/grammys/ pictures/ never-won- a-grammy?
        NCID=aolcmp00300000 0025
        > 48)

      • Doug Ozelius
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2008
          Rob,

           There are dozens of historical societies all over the Commonwealth. I agree with Tom that you should start in Worcester. If my hunch is correct, Tom is referring to the American Antiquarian Society (AAS) located on Salisbury St.

          www.americanantiquarian.org/

           To facilitate your visit, I'd recommend you ask for Jonathan Lane, who is employed there. You met him once (at least) at the
          The Pettaquamscutt Historical Society a year or so ago. I am sure he would be glad to assist you.

          Doug Ozelius

          bgbrother@... wrote:
          The National Guard stuff is in Worcester, MA. On the corner of Grove and Salisbury street. They are open Tues-Friday. The curator is a good guy and formerly worked at the Institute of Heraldry, COL Kondratuik. There is also another museum in Worcester the Anthenium which hold huge amounts of printed materials, periodicals and the like. Worcester being a straight shot down 146 from Woonsocket it might be an easier trip. i recommend calling ahead. I live in Worcester so if i can be of any further assistance contact me off the board. BgBrother@aol. com

          Tom Gingras