Event Potential FYI

  • Sgt..R.C.Tarbox
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2008
      Gent's have been meaning to send this along.
      I rec'd an invite to this event and have wanted to go for several years now but just can't seem to get there due to a yearly schedule conflict. At anyrate I told the contact I would pass this onto all of you should anyone desire to attend.
      I can personally vouch for the quality impression of the 119th NY and would feel confident recommending any of their endeavors onto you all.
      The event itself takes place at a historic village on Long Island. (Old Bethpage)
      Feel free to contact Rob Weber directly should you want to attend. It is my understanding that they are in need of some quality CS troops but I am sure they would also welcome any bluebellies.
      Enjoy!
      YOS R.C.Tarbox
      Rob,

      Thanks for the invite. I have always wanted to do this event but I believe it always falls on one of our local money making living histories with the 6th NH. I am very familiar with your group in fact Adler is our contact for the NR.

      I believe that this date once again conflicts with our long standing commitment but I will double check. In case you are wondering I do in fact do a confederate impression with a growing number of progressive/campaigner corn feds from New England but I also belong to the 6th New Hampshire. So my plate is pretty full.

      Once again, thanks for the invite and I will certainly mention it to my pards in the Old Dominion Rifles. If you don't mind I will send out a message on our N.E. campaigner forum and have them contact you directly if they put some numbers together.

      Take care and good luck!
      Rob

      Hi Rob,
      My name is Rob Weber and I am a member of the 119th New York Volunteers. The 119th hails from Long Island and has been around for about 25 years. My friend Paul Martinello gave me your name and email.
      For the past three-four years Old Bethpage Restoration Village has been hosting a Civil War event and if one thing is consistent about it each year the CS numbers have been very low. The event itself is small but even so the Confederate units in the area are very limited in numbers. This year some of us are taking the bull by the horns by finding recommended units that are fairly close and sending them invitations to the event. I know Paul Martinello and he has been attending our event out at Old Bethpage for years even before they turned it into a "battle". Anyway as I sent my feelers out Paul told me that he knew you guys and thought that you would be a unit to have on the invite list. Hence this email. SO this is an invite!
      The 119th is the host unit so to speak and we are very fortunate to be able to utilize Old Bethpage for our monthly meetings and drills. We also participate in a number of other events there throughout the year. If you are not aware of Old Bethpage it is a restored 19th Century village. I am guessing they have about 25 buildings on the site which have been moved to this property from various points on Long Island. The property was originally farm property and the original farm house and barns still are there. It is a very cool place especially for Civil War living history enthusiasts. There is a website so please check that out to get a better idea of the place.
      In regards to the size of the event the US units typically field three companies numbering somewhere around 60-70 guys. The CS units (I think there are three of them) usually total about 25 30 guys including an artillery piece.
      The date of the event is July 19th and 20th and most folks actually arrive that Friday night. I am attending the first event planning meeting tonight and will find out more information that I can forward to you if you are interested.
      Please let me know if you are interested in attending this event and if so ask whatever questions you might have. I look forward to hearing back from you and hope to meet you and your guys this year. I hope this email is not too late as this is the time of year that most units start planning the years schedule.
      Thanks,
      Rob Weber

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
        Rob,
           Thanks for passing this info along!  I have never been to their events, but I know Bethpage has been home to some pretty top notch, but low key events in the past.  I believe in their hey day the NR crowd used to hold some really decent gigs there.
            Soooo...are there any of you out there interested in pulling together a CS company from New England for this?  I know I have a CS uniform hanging in my closet that I have never had the chance to wear, and this sounds like it may be a good excuse!  Anybody else want to give it a whirl?

      • bgbrother@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
          Tom,
           I might be able to swing it.