Events for next season

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2007
      Hey all,
         Christmas is right around the corner, but after that it will be time for folks to firm up their calendars for next season.  With that in mind I figured I would throw out a few dates and events, both in the region and beyond for all of you to consider.

      February
      Winter '64, Newfane, NY
      -This is one hell of an event, and this time it is 4 days long!  I am not sure if there are any openings left for registration, but if you have ever wanted to experience a winter camp, this is the event to go to.  I have done the event the last two times it was held, and I know at least a few people on this list are going to this next one.  It is a haul out to the Buffalo area, but it is well worth it!

      April
      18-20 Glendale, near Richmond, VA
      -At this point not many details have been made available for this event.  It will be on/near NPS land and will be (I presume) a mobile living history similar to the 2nd Bull Run event of 2006, and the Wilderness event of 2007.  Some folks from the Columbia Rifles are involved in putting this one together and they generally host a top notch event.

      June
      13-15th "Jackson's Valley Campaign" Goshen, CT
      -I will be organizing a campaigner adjunct to this event.  At this point this looks like the only campaigner adjunct effort that I will be organizing this season.  Those who were with us last time had a good time.  It is part of a mainstream event, so you have been forwarned that there will be farbs, coolers, and any number of inauthentic things at the event, but we will do our best to avoid them and have fun in spite of it.

      27-29th "At High Tide" Gettysburg, PA
      -This is the Gettysburg event organized by Chris Anders (who did this year's September Storm, and previous year's Summer '62, and To the Gates of Washington).  He is limiting registration to 4000, and promises to uphold event standards and rules for authenticity.  Anyone want to form a New England company for this one???

      August
      23-25th "Death March" near Scraton, PA
      -The name for this event is quite a bit more foreboding than the event itself.  I have been to one, and know guys who have been to several, and to my knowledge, no one has died yet!  The event has been moved to a new site in northeastern PA this year and will feature miles of marching and running skirmishes.  Doug Oakes who hosts the show puts on a great event...it is a bit of a drive but it is worth the effort.

      September
      26-28th "The Lonley Patrol" Marlboro, VT
      -I will take my turn at hosting an EBUFU event this year, with the gracious loan of a site from Rob Tarbox.  Rob has decided to take a year off from event hosting which gives me a chance to put together an event for us, no mainstreamers and no farb-ocity.  The event will feature a good long march, possibly some skirmishing, and the chance to forage for pie!  More details will be posted very soon!

      October
      10-12th "Bristoe Station" northern, VA
      -This is a new, and likely one time event to celebrate and draw attention to the park.  Details have been somewhat limited thus far, but the event is rumored to feature a five mile march and some skirmishing along the way.

      November
      14-16th "After the Battle" Fredericksburg, VA
      -This event was postponed from 2007 due to landowner request.  It has been pushed back a few weeks for next year to get closer to the actual date of the battle.  This is supposed to be a top notch semi-immersion event, and will be held on pretty much the only open land that was part of the battle, but doesn't belong to the NPS.

          That isn't a comprehensive list, but it is a good start.  As you can see there isn't too much scheduled for New England, but there is plenty of room to add events if we can pull some things together.

    • Marc Averill
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007
        Tom,

        Sounds like some promising events for 2008.  Definitely high on my list is "At High Tide" - though my Guard weekend has been moved to that w/e due to the 4th.  ;-(   Marlboro is on the calendar and is being submitted to "Higher HQ" for approval.

        Another event that I will put a plug in for is "Bristoe Station".  Those of us who do Confederate will fall under Mike Hendricks of Lee's Sharpshooters.  Mike and his company are a great bunch of people to be around and I was treated like family at their "School of the Sharpshooter" back in September.   I am attaching a couple Word Documents on this Mike sent me.

        Take care,
        Marc Averill

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007
          OOPS - Belay my Last!!!

          Sorry everyone, as I start on my second cup of coffee - I realize that those attachments were for a program they did this year at Bristoe Station.  There may be some useful information in the event packet

          Maybe I should go back to bed...

          Marc

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2007
            > April
            > 18-20 Glendale, near Richmond, VA
            > -At this point not many details have been made
            > available for this event. It will be on/near NPS
            > land and will be (I presume) a mobile living history
            > similar to the 2nd Bull Run event of 2006, and the
            > Wilderness event of 2007. Some folks from the
            > Columbia Rifles are involved in putting this one
            > together and they generally host a top notch event.

            Tom,

            The Glendale-Malvern Hill event is at that "tweener"
            stage between verbal and written approval from the NPS
            and CWPT. I suspect it will be the normal late January
            2008 timeframe before the final approval letter is in
            hand. A third landowner wants to become involved, and
            while a small site, it is significant to both battles
            and contains a wonderful interpretive feature in the
            form of a hospital used by both US and CS forces.

            You are correct in the mobile aspect of the event. The
            combined properties represent approximately 1.5 square
            miles of battlefield in a strip about 3 miles long
            with a variety of terrain features. Obviously, the NPS
            rules we live and die by prohibit opposing forces, so
            the "battle area" is on CWPT land. The guiding
            impressions for the infantry are the 47th Virginia and
            the 4th Penna. Reserves, and the scenario is based on
            the actions around Randol's (Randall's) Battery during
            late afternoon on 30 June 1862. The artillery will
            remain at Malvern Hill, and the 1st USSS will also be
            at Malvern Hill. Neither the NPS nor CWPT permit
            mounted activities at this site.

            Of the several camp life activities, I can mention the
            ration and ammunition issues. The other two won't make
            much sense until game day. The NPS interpretive
            activities will be a little different than what we
            normally do, the CWPT fundraising will be about the
            same, and I hope we can give a nice check to CWPT on
            Sunday morning.

            Charles

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 20, 2007
              Charles,
                  Thanks for providing that info on the Malvern Hill event.  I know that there is a fair amount of interest out there for the event, and I know I for one hope that everything comes together for a great event.