Fort Warren

  • Todd M. Bryda
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2006
      Comrades,
      There is a very good chance that we may be able to do a
      progressive living history event at Fort Warren this August! Matt
      Burbank is the point man on the event, so I'll let him give us some
      details, but suffice it to say this is a great opportunity for a
      return to a very cool fort and to expand the progressive offerings
      in New England.
      For the uninitiated, Fort Warren is an early 19th century fort in
      Boston Harbor. It was used for coastal defense throughout the
      antebellum. During the war, it was a prison. We used to do events
      there, but they were a bit silly. Rebs would storm the fort, and
      there would be a stand up battle on the parade ground. Nobody ever
      asked how these ninja/Navy Seal/Delta Force Rebs ever made it into
      the Fort, but you had to experience the 80's and early 90's to
      understand. :) We would be doing a prison scenario (no shower
      scenes). That means drill, guard mount, first person interaction,
      great views of the ocean. Most importantly, IT WILL NOT INTERFERE
      with the Vermont event that Rob Taxbox puts on for us. Vermont is
      near and dear to my heart (Patches and Digger are developing plans
      for a cabin on our knoll). Rob gave us a great event, and you must
      keep faith with your friends.
      There has also been some talk about Fort Adams in Newport
      (another great fort). If that happens, we would have two ...
      count 'em two....opoortunities to hold living histories in real
      period forts without having to travel 15 hours. Obviously, timing
      is the issue, so stay tuned.

      So tell your units! Give Fort Warren a try!

      YHS,
      Todd Bryda
    • Cpl.R.C.Tarbox

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2006
          Your too funny Rob...But that does sound a little way too West Virginia for me...lol
          Anyway, what we are planning is to take back our Civil War fort and make it our event. People travel a long way each year to do these type of events, I truly believe that it is up to us to set the standards in NE and raise the bar. We have alot of great people up here and with all our knowledge together I hope that we can make this event a true success. I would want to tap into our resources and set up standards ect. What we do have planned so far is to run this event from fri eve right through Sunday aft. Just like we were in the real time period itself. I am invisioning drill, guard mount, prison scenarios.I also have been talking to the guys of the 32nd Mass Feild Hospital and trying to work out them doing the Commisary for us for the weekend. I also am working with the park and we are looking into what we can do about building some bunks and such. I will be getting more info as it comes availible...
          Please pass this event on to your units ect.Anyone that is interested in this please consider it for 2007.This is your event and lets do it together.

          Your Obedient Servant,
          Colonel Matthew Burbank

        • Michael Jolin
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2006
            Sounds great. I've been putting my finishing touches on my Lynddie England impression. Who's bringing the dogs?

            Oh, is this for the American Civil War or the Iraqi one?

            MJ

            "Todd M. Bryda" <bryda@hotmail. com> wrote:
[...]

          • Frank and Karen Lilley
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2006

              Appreciate the emails but does anyone know how to fix the list, I get 3 emails from this forum for every single email someone sends. Getting kind of tired of it

              Thanks

              Frank Lilley

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 12, 2006

                Gentlemen

                Is anyone going to
                (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

              • Sgt..R.C.Tarbox
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 12, 2006
                  Doc, The 6th NH will be there with the National Regiment. You are welcome to jump in with us if you choose. Just need a head count before Friday.

                  YOS
                  R.C.Tarbox

                  Minsinger <minsinger@...> wrote:
                  Gentlemen
                  Is anyone going to Gettysburg for the Remembrance Day Parade
                  I will be in the area to pick up my youngest son – Kris who is a freshman at Gettysburg College – for Thanksgiving and will be packing our equipment and would like to fall in with a unit for the parade
                  Any suggestions
                  Doc Minsinger
                  3rd  Vermont

                • Minsinger
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006

                    I am sure that two of us will be there and possibly a third – my oldest son will be having his wisdom teeth out Wednesday and might not make the trip

                    Where are you planning to meet up I was hoping to make the Railroad Station re opening on Carlisle Street at 11AM

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006
                      Doc,

                      We will be staying at the Best Inn (near friendly's) I will shoot you my cell # at your personal email.

                      YOS
                      R.C.Tarbox
                      Bully Sixth!

                      Minsinger <minsinger@...> wrote:
                      I am sure that two of us will be there and possibly a third – my oldest son will be having his wisdom teeth out Wednesday and might not make the trip
                      Where are you planning to meet up I was hoping to make the Railroad Station re opening on Carlisle Street at 11AM
                      Thanks
                      Doc