Next year

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 13, 2006
      Guys,
         It has been rather quiet on this list lately given that it is almost the end of the season.  With that in mind it is time to start looking forward to next season.
         What "national" events are people looking to attend?
         What types of events would you all like to see locally?
         Is there a direction that you'd like to see the local campaigner movement go?

         I'd like to see us heading more into hosting our own events.  Rob Tarbox has done a great job with his event, and we all (myself included) need to do a better job supporting his efforts.  Is there anyone else with a good event idea and/or access to a piece of property where we could hold our own event?
         Let's get the ball rolling on 2007!
    • rgrandchamp40@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 14, 2006
        All,
        In response to Tom's question there is a valuable piece of property right down the road for me that is little used for its real purpose. During the Civil War, Fortress Adams, in Newport was used a training depot for the 14th and 15th US Infantry as they drilled their recruits and repaired after Gettysburg. An idea for an event is a campaigner Union only event portraying the typical activities at the fort in the fall of 1863. Highlights could include guard duty, fatigue, drill, DRILL, drill, mustering into service, burial detail, and when the Alabama was rumored to be in the Bay. Point being their is so much that can be done. It is very easy to get a hold of the fort and can be done. Ft. Adams has gotten a bad rap in recent years, but WE can put on a good event there. RSG
      • Cpl.R.C.Tarbox
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 15, 2006
          Make it happen Rob!

          There is plenty of time for us to try and prepare those of the grey persuasion to either get a union kit together or borrow some for the event. We could have a decent sized company should it come to fruit and it would work to further strengthen the campaigner adhesion here in New England both blue and Grey.

          YOS
          R.C.Tarbox

          No running away with sore gonads though in the middle of the night

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 15, 2006
            All,
            Very well. When would we like to see Adams occur, early, late, mid season, etc. Even those with Reb kits that look somewhat civilian would be a good occurrence as they had yet to receive the uniforms from the arsenal. On an added note, two casemates were recently restored to live in, including Burnie's. RSG.
          • Gordon Markiewicz
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 16, 2006

              Point of information:

              Don Hamel and I tried to conduct such a weekend at Fort Trumbull, CT. The event "evolved" over a couple of years to something short of "immersion," but it was a fun attempt. Some major stumbling blocks were not being able to feed the garrison from within the fort. State regulations got in the way. Another stumbling block was numbers. I have not seen Fort Adams, but I heard it is a great place. If it is anything like Fort Trumbull, you could deliver a knock-out blow with 70-100 Federal troops doing 24-2 garrison duty. Is there that commitment?

              Could everybody be happy just playing at real soldiers, meaning a "boring" garrison weekend? No Rebs, no skirmishes or fighting, but lots of regulation activities, drill, civilian interaction...if so, et's do it!

              Gordon Markiewicz

              From: rgrandchamp40@...
              To: NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Next year
              Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:22:32 EDT

              All,
              In response to Tom's question there is a valuable piece of property right down the road for me that is little used for its real purpose. During the Civil War, Fortress Adams, in Newport was used a training depot for the 14th and 15th US Infantry as they drilled their recruits and repaired after Gettysburg. An idea for an event is a campaigner Union only event portraying the typical activities at the fort in the fall of 1863. Highlights could include guard duty, fatigue, drill, DRILL, drill, mustering into service, burial detail, and when the Alabama was rumored to be in the Bay. Point being their is so much that can be done. It is very easy to get a hold of the fort and can be done. Ft. Adams has gotten a bad rap in recent years, but WE can put on a good event there. RSG

            • Caleb Horton
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 16, 2006
                Sounds like my kind of event. I would be all for it!

              • rgrandchamp40@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 16, 2006
                  All,
                  The feedback I am hearing sounds great. There are definite opportunities for civilians and all as the fort was near the town, and the officers left frequently to get supplies, one day Burnie came back with a wife! The site is absolutely fantastic, with the only modern sites inside the fort being the occasional tator. Next week, I will go down and visit the office. What I need is a date. I hate being a dictator so will solicit what you may think of a an appropriate time. The setting would be the fall of 1863. Personally I think a spring event to train us for the upcoming season, late April or so is sufficient. If the command staff-Todd, Tom, Rob, etc. would chime in or contact me directly would be appreciated. RSG.
                • Cpl.R.C.Tarbox
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 16, 2006
                    I sure would Gordon...... Sounds like a good one... And Rob, late April or early May sounds good to me. I know here in VT and NH in April it rains and is still pretty cool just about every day but being in garrison I suppose we could muster in the A tents.

                    I am sure the 6th NH would be down with this event. Sounds like a good time.

                    Will sit back and see what others think about a date but that is my 2 cents for now.

                    If cook fires are not allowed perhaps someone that lives close by in the area could work out prepared rations (that we would all pay for of course) and have it delivered by some authentic civilians... Kind of like Millis. That was cool.

                    YOS

                    R.C.Tarbox

                    From: rgrandchamp40@ aol.com
                    To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
                    Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:22:32 EDT

                    All,

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 16, 2006
                      Guys, looking at what is already in the works for 2007 April probably would be best. Looks like the whole month is open. Here is a link to the schedule of the NE Brigade and the Grey's http://www.cwevents.org/Schedule2007.html

                      There is a coordinators meeting on the 28th of this month that I plan on attending.

                      Not that the schedule of these two groups will necessarilly effect what we do but for maximum attendance we should try not to schedule while another event is going on.

                      I know May 5-7 is usually the opening weekend for the Grey's (CMD) I may be asked to do a presentation on campaigning again.

                      You feds really ought to consider attending the NE Brigade school of instruction. I had a great time last year and it is a good opportunity to try and drag some of those boys  still on the fence over to the dark side of reenacting.

                      Lead by example lads....

                      At any rate. talk to you all soon.

                      YOS
                      R.C.Tarbox

                      P.S. Jon Chan went up to Marlboro this past weekend and took a bunch of photo's of both the US and CS Breastworks. He should be posting them soon.

                      Cheers!

                      From: rgrandchamp40@ aol.com
                      To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
                      Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:22:32 EDT

                      All,
                      In response to Tom's question there is a valuable piece of property right down the road for me that is little used for its real purpose. During the Civil War, Fortress Adams, in Newport was used a training depot for the 14th and 15th US Infantry as they drilled their recruits and repaired after Gettysburg. An idea for an event is a campaigner Union only event portraying the typical activities at the fort in the fall of 1863. Highlights could include guard duty, fatigue, drill, DRILL, drill, mustering into service, burial detail, and when the Alabama was rumored to be in the Bay. Point being their is so much that can be done. It is very easy to get a hold of the fort and can be done. Ft. Adams has gotten a bad rap in recent years, but WE can put on a good event there. RSG

                    • Shane Kindred
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                        Comrades,

                        I, for one, would be interested in such an event. As someone who does a
                        medical impression, I can think of numerous ways to interact with the troops
                        in a period fashion.

                        Respects,

                        Tim Kindred

                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                           All,
                          We have two weekends to work with April 21-22 or April 28-29. What is preferred. I need to know before I go down to Newport next Weds. A medical portrayal would be good, as many of the men there were recovering from what they suffered at Gettysburg and disease, and the post cemetery is chock full o CW vets. We have one casemate for officers and the other will hold about thirty enlisted men, the rest outside. Cooking is permitted in the fort, and a good sized commisary serving garrison rations would be well. Civilians are most welcome, in addition to men civilians just joining up, would be good to have an "ackward" squad that can not drill right! Looking at invite only to prevent the local Newport farb garrison from showing up again. RSG.

                          From: rgrandchamp40@ aol.com
                          To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
                          Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:22:32 EDT

                          All,
                          In response to Tom's question there is a valuable piece of property right down the road for me that is little used for its real purpose. During the Civil War, Fortress Adams, in Newport was used a training depot for the 14th and 15th US Infantry as they drilled their recruits and repaired after Gettysburg. An idea for an event is a campaigner Union only event portraying the typical activities at the fort in the fall of 1863. Highlights could include guard duty, fatigue, drill, DRILL, drill, mustering into service, burial detail, and when the Alabama was rumored to be in the Bay. Point being their is so much that can be done. It is very easy to get a hold of the fort and can be done. Ft. Adams has gotten a bad rap in recent years, but WE can put on a good event there. RSG

                        • Michael Jolin
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                            One of those weekends may be the Columbia Rifles COI. I was looking for Tom's email on the potential dates for it and couldn't find it. Perhaps he can chime in. I know that we usually do it in April. Something to keep in mind as we coordinate this.

                            Also, McDowell is usually the first or second weekend of May. And finally the CR's living history with the NPS at Spotsylvania National Park is the weekend of May 18th. Just some things to keep in mind. Rock on!

                            MJ

                            From: rgrandchamp40@ aol.com
                            To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
                            Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:22:32 EDT

                            All,
                            In response to Tom's question there is a valuable piece of property right down the road for me that is little used for its real purpose. During the Civil War, Fortress Adams, in Newport was used a training depot for the 14th and 15th US Infantry as they drilled their recruits and repaired after Gettysburg. An idea for an event is a campaigner Union only event portraying the typical activities at the fort in the fall of 1863. Highlights could include guard duty, fatigue, drill, DRILL, drill, mustering into service, burial detail, and when the Alabama was rumored to be in the Bay. Point being their is so much that can be done. It is very easy to get a hold of the fort and can be done. Ft. Adams has gotten a bad rap in recent years, but WE can put on a good event there. RSG

                          • tom rosser
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                              Mike,

                              > One of those weekends may be the Columbia Rifles
                              > COI.

                              Listed on the back cover of the August 2006 Columbia
                              Examiner is the weekend of 13-15 Apr 07 for the CR COI
                              at Fort Ontario. This is also the same weekend as
                              SCAR's Shiloh NPS LH.

                              > Also, McDowell is usually the first or second
                              > weekend of May.

                              McDowell is listed at 4-6 May 07 in their press
                              release posted in the usual places.

                              >And finally the CR's living history
                              > with the NPS at Spotsylvania National Park is the
                              > weekend of May 18th.

                              Anticpate a possible deviation from this date. It
                              isn't in writing yet, so I won't say more.

                              Charles

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • rgrandchamp40@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                                All,
                                As of now, Adams is not scheduled to interfare with anyone else's event. RSG.

                                From: rgrandchamp40@ aol.com
                                To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
                                Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:22:32 EDT

                                All,

                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                                  True enough, B/Rob, but as I mentioned to you in my separate missive to you, I'm not a big fan of back-to-back gigs or even multiple gigs in a single month. One of my weekends each month is taken up defending freedom so, if there's a reenactment, that leaves two weekends for me and the missus (and NASCAR, of course). But that's just me. Admittedly, I'm also feeling some end of the season burn-out this year for some reason so maybe after a winter of discontent I'll be ready to do a whole bunch of stuff (especially since Fort Adams is 45 minutes away from the Bucket).

                                  Ciaou!

                                  MJ

                                  From: rgrandchamp40@ aol.com
                                  To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
                                  Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:22:32 EDT

                                  All,
                                  In response to Tom's question there is a valuable piece of property right down the road for me that is little used for its real purpose. During the Civil War, Fortress Adams, in Newport was used a training depot for the 14th and 15th US Infantry as they drilled their recruits and repaired after Gettysburg. An idea for an event is a campaigner Union only event portraying the typical activities at the fort in the fall of 1863. Highlights could include guard duty, fatigue, drill, DRILL, drill, mustering into service, burial detail, and when the Alabama was rumored to be in the Bay. Point being their is so much that can be done. It is very easy to get a hold of the fort and can be done. Ft. Adams has gotten a bad rap in recent years, but WE can put on a good event there. RSG

                                  Do you Yahoo!?

                                • Shane Kindred
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                                    Comrades,

                                    Either weekend will work for me.

                                    Respects,

                                    Tim Kindred
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                                      Guys,
                                         I like the sound of an event at Ft Adams.  My wife went to school in RI, and I've been to Adams a bunch of times to poke around.
                                         The Spring is fairly tight for 2007.  On a national level you have two big events in March (not too much a concern) and you have McDowell and the CR living history in May.  As fo right now it looks like the CR COI will be April 21-23rd.  On the local level you have camps of instruction, and Neshaminy (which draws some NE guys believe it or not) the last weekend in April.
                                         If there is any date available in either June, August, or October that might be easier to schedule.
                                         I think it is a great concept with a lot to speak for it if we get folks on board with the concept of a Fed only garrison event.

                                      rgrandchamp40@... wrote:
                                      All,
                                      The feedback I am hearing sounds great. There are definite opportunities for civilians and all as the fort was near the town, and the officers left frequently to get supplies, one day Burnie came back with a wife! The site is absolutely fantastic, with the only modern sites inside the fort being the occasional tator. Next week, I will go down and visit the office. What I need is a date. I hate being a dictator so will solicit what you may think of a an appropriate time. The setting would be the fall of 1863. Personally I think a spring event to train us for the upcoming season, late April or so is sufficient. If the command staff-Todd, Tom, Rob, etc. would chime in or contact me directly would be appreciated. RSG.

                                    • kperlotto
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                                        Dear Gordon,
                                        This sounds like a great effort.
                                        Please keep the 8th Conn Vols in mind, and let us know future developments.
                                        Our events coordinator is Nate Bayreuther, nate8thcvi@...
                                        Respectfully,
                                        Kim Perlotto
                                        kperlotto@...
                                        www.8cv.org

                                        From: rgrandchamp40@ aol.com
                                        To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
                                        Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:22:32 EDT

                                        All,

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                                          All,
                                          Based on the last few, how is the fall of 07, Oct? This would in timeline with the fort, and something to close their 2007 season. RSG
                                        • Bill Backus
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                                            If Fort Adams is in the late spring/summer I'll be there.
                                          • Bill Backus
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 17, 2006
                                              Since theres interest in doing events at forts how about something
                                              like I-600 at Fort Warren. Obviously it won't happen this year but
                                              I've heard that the Fort allowed living histories in the past so it is
                                              a possibility.

                                              Bill Backus
                                            • Robert Wallace
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 19, 2006
                                                Rob,

                                                That would work for me, (assuming I'm still in the area as my job search may
                                                or may not take me elsewhere, but will keep y'all posted as able). Typical
                                                garrison events sounds like it would be fun.....

                                                Looking forward to taking the field next season,
                                                Robin

                                                PS: Not sure if this is an option, but what about trying to do Ft. Nathan
                                                Hale in New Haven, CT? I haven't done it in a few years so not sure what
                                                the current status of it is and if we can still go play there, but that
                                                would be a good one. If my memory serves me correctly, last time I did it,
                                                (summer of '01), we did fed and had the navy reenactors, engineers, Pres.
                                                Lincoln there, etc and were able to do some good scenario's. Just my .02.

                                                >From: rgrandchamp40@...
                                                >To: NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com
                                                >Subject: Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Next year
                                                >Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:38:25 EDT
                                                >
                                                >All,
                                                >Based on the last few, how is the fall of 07, Oct? This would in timeline
                                                >with the fort, and something to close their 2007 season. RSG

                                                Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
                                                Live Search!
                                                http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline
                                              • Todd M. Bryda
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
                                                  Hi guys!
                                                  Just a couple of other things to add to the discussion:

                                                  - I think that Fort Adams would be great. Since the demise of the
                                                  Colt State Park event 6+/- years ago, we never do anything in Rhode
                                                  Island. This would be a great opportunity at a great site. (Last
                                                  time I was there was for the JVC Jazz festival, and it is an
                                                  impressive fort)
                                                  - I think that we should aim for May for this event because we will
                                                  certainly have an event in June (Borderlands probably), so we could
                                                  use this living history as a tune up. Any later in the year, and
                                                  people get busy with vacations and other events.
                                                  - Another event coming up this year that we need to be aware of
                                                  (whether we like big events or not) is Antietam.

                                                  - the 28th would (will) probably support the following:
                                                  - Fort Adams (if it is in May)
                                                  - Borderlands (June)
                                                  - Genessee (July)
                                                  - Vermont (August)
                                                  - Antietam (Sept)
                                                  - October ?

                                                  Just my two cents.
                                                  Todd

                                                  --- In NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Wallace"

                                                • jerzeeblues@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
                                                    Mike and all

                                                    Don't forget about the 145th Shiloh LH April 13-15.

                                                    This should be a good one.

                                                    Harry C
                                                  • rgrandchamp40@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
                                                      All,
                                                      There is much going on now with dates and what not. We really need to solidify something here. I know that in one way or another we will trespass on someones event. If I am going to be the boots on the ground here in RI, please pass along for a date. Between late May to mid August, I think our schedules are pretty much set. Can we work around this for a date that is good for the majority. Robt. Grandchamp

                                                      PS I will write the press release this weekend for you to forward to your units.
                                                    • tom rosser
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Oct 20, 2006
                                                        Rob,

                                                        I've done this deconfliction thing for our end of the
                                                        hobby for the last ten years, and you'll notice I
                                                        have very little hair remaining on this head of mine.
                                                        Let me pass along some skinned knees and scraped
                                                        elbows type of advice.

                                                        A few things to keep in mind is the scale of the event
                                                        in terms of the local, regional, or national
                                                        attraction, as well was the scale of other events in
                                                        that timeframe. It helps to know your market, too. Do
                                                        your guys think nothing of hopping in a car and
                                                        hauling one way 15 hours to an event? Is "regional"
                                                        simply a 100 mile trip? If 2006 is any indication,
                                                        more and more of the road runners are looking for
                                                        something closer to home.

                                                        You asked for a date between May and mid-August. By
                                                        now, you have probably created a simple document with
                                                        dates, event names, and places. That is the biggest
                                                        help I have next to a 3' x 4' At-A-Glance Wall
                                                        Calendar. I don't keep up with NE events, so you need
                                                        to do that yourself.

                                                        I do feel the need to let you in on at least one event
                                                        date that isn't widespread, and that is the 4-6 May
                                                        Wilderness NPS LH which is the substitute for the
                                                        previously announced, lettered, and sealed
                                                        Spotsylvania NPS LH. Seems the park was surprised with
                                                        the letting of a multi-year major road network
                                                        reconstruction and parking lot expansion contract.
                                                        Better to find that out now, than next March or April.

                                                        The NPS offered us the Wilderness in 2007, a good shot
                                                        at another Chancellorsville in 2008, and moved the
                                                        Spotsylvania LH to 2009. These places have not been
                                                        tramped to death by reenactors. If you are the lest
                                                        bit interested in a living history that will cover a
                                                        good deal of ground (if you were at the Antietam LH in
                                                        2003 or 2nd Bull Run LH in 2006, then you know what I
                                                        mean) shoot an email to Jeff Johannes at
                                                        jjspanzer@... as he is the event coordinator.

                                                        Looking ahead, 20-22 July 2007 is 2nd Kernstown. The
                                                        25th Anniversary Mumford event is most likely that
                                                        same weekend or the weekend before, but the museum
                                                        real good about dates and information. The Slaughter
                                                        Pen is 26-28 October, and I see it is being marketed
                                                        as "After the Battle" on the various fora. Cross off
                                                        a couple of weekends for Something in the Valley in
                                                        June, a pair of Antietams, and not many free weekends
                                                        appear. As a side note, Doug Oakes (LHG) is also
                                                        looking for a calendar hole for the next one of his
                                                        events, and that will most likely be August.
                                                        Incidently, that event is slated to be located close
                                                        to I-81 between Syracuse and Binghamton. If anyone is
                                                        interested in the latter, email Doug Oakes at
                                                        oldsoldier51@...

                                                        I don't know if this is much help, but I tried to hit
                                                        the highlights knowing most of the folks up there
                                                        aren't going to attend Vicksburg MS, Pilot Knob MO,
                                                        Chickamauga GA, or similar events during that
                                                        timeframe.

                                                        Charles

                                                        http://mail.yahoo.com