Millis Dates

  • Michael Jolin
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
      I was actually hoping of a recounting of the remaining events of the
      year, not just the Millis one.

      Also, I think the dates provided by B/Rob for Millis are off. Is it
      actually Sept. 15-17?

      Finally, all those who missed the Rich Mountain event missed what was
      the most authentic campaign event I've ever been to. I know there's
      been some chatter about the scenario (dropped packs, fixing bayonets,
      and using rammers) but it was all done in a safe, well-thought out
      manner that provided one hell of an experience.

      By the way, the 2006 Winter '64 event was the most authentic garrison
      event I ever went to. So, in one year I've attended 2 different types
      of events that set personal bars for me in terms of authenticity that
      I doubt will be matched any time soon. In other words, they've ruined
      the hobby for me forever more! Maybe 4 days of campaigning in the
      backwoods of Louisiana in March 2007 will change that. Red River III,
      anyone?

      Michael

      --- In NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com, rgrandchamp40@... wrote:

      > Millis is September 17-19, Battle of Chickamaugua. Currently
      looking at portraying a regiment of Thomas' corps. RSG

      seem to mention the gig but not when it is. There's a calendar on our
      NE Campaigners' web site but I didn't see anything posted on it. Just
      a thought.

      > Mike
      >
      > Tom Craig <tom-craig@...> wrote:
      > Guys,
      > I've been off email lately due to computer malfunction and
      vacation. As of Saturday I will be gone for 2 more weeks on vacation
      to sunny California. I will be around this week if you need to get
      in touch.
      > I don't want to crowd on Marlboro, but we also have Millis
      coming up in the not so distant future (2 months away). Right after
      Marlboro I will be posting the details on Millis and the NEC effort
      there. The land is good, and the weather should be nice, as long as
      there is no hurricane. I am working on a very different schedule for
      our efforts at Millis with some different challenges thrown in for
      rank and file. In addition we get to dig out our scruffy gear as we
      will be portraying western Feds on campaign. Pretty cool stuff!
      > Take care,
      > Tom
      >

      > See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com. Check it out.

      __
      > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures,
      email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
        Paul,
           It sounds like you and Matt could get something cooking...I'd think that Rob Tarbox would be happy to help as well.  I have heard a few different folks remark that September is a tought time to hit events (too many teachers and students in this crew :)  The thing is we are talking a local event here.  No one has to drive any more than three hours, except maybe the VT folks from the howling northern wilderness.  September is a busy time but the weather is often very nice, the scenery turns colorful and it is a local opportunity to hit up an event.

        To all: The remaining dates for 2006
        August
        11-13th 2nd BR living history-Manassas, VA
        18-20th Marlboro, VT tactical---registration closes 7/30

        September
        15-17th Oak Grove Farm, Millis, MA
        22-24th "Retreat from Fisher's Hill" Elmira, NY ---particiatpation limited to 50 per side

        November
        Date TBD ----last winter Rob Grandchamp had mentioned a local cemetary gig in RI, and there was a lot of interest on this list about doing something---Any details or new info Rob?

        I don't know the local scehdule for next year, but some things that should be on your radar for events for 2007
        March/April
        Red River, near Shreveport, LA

        May
        Columbia Rifles Spottsylvania LH
        May/June
        Rumored local event "EFUBU" style in SE Mass.

           I'll be off on vacation again for a couple of weeks so all you folks play nice, and get registered for Marlboro!

        paul manzi <soldmysoul88@...> wrote:
        Tom,
           Thanks for the reply!  I was wondering if anyone would have any info on this.  The AOT is my favorite impression to do, having grown up in Chattanooga. Hopefully Matt Reardon will help get some interest for this event on the CS side.  I have some uniform standards ready to go just in case..........

        Paul Manzo

        Tom Craig <tom-craig@...> wrote:
        Paul,
           I have no idea for certain, but I would hazard a guess that there will be a CS turnout based on what we saw at Goshen.  I'll post here if I hear any more info.

        paul manzi <soldmysoul88@...> wrote:
        Does anyone have any word on a CS campaigner group attending Millis?

        Paul Manzo
        2nd Va., Co. E
        www.stonewallbrigade.com

        Tom Craig <tom-craig@...> wrote:
        Guys,
           I've been off email lately due to computer malfunction and vacation.  As of Saturday I will be gone for 2 more weeks on vacation to sunny California.  I will be around this week if you need to get in touch.
           I don't want to crowd on Marlboro, but we also have Millis coming up in the not so distant future (2 months away).  Right after Marlboro I will be posting the details on Millis and the NEC effort there.  The land is good, and the weather should be nice, as long as there is no hurricane.  I am working on a very different schedule for our efforts at Millis with some different challenges thrown in for rank and file.  In addition we get to dig out our scruffy gear as we will be portraying western Feds on campaign.  Pretty cool stuff!

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • paul manzi
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 22, 2006
          I also have a couple of AOT jackets laying around that some guys could borrow if they need one.

          Matt Reardon <carolinaboys1862@...> wrote:
          Paul,
             I'm not of anything planned as of now.  It was brought I think brought up at some point. I'm not sure if I can 100% commit to it but I definetly would like to know if there is interest from others about it. The reason I cannot 100% commit to it is because I'll be down at school and it'll be an even farther drive for me.  It might be harder to do a Western CS impression for us than it would be for the US guys but hey if we did the 39th NC me and you would be set!  I'll let you know of my commitment as the day comes closer.

          Matt
          .

        • Robert Wallace
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 22, 2006
            Matt/Paul:

            I'd like to try and do a Western CS impression too, but I also have to agree
            that a western one would be more difficult to do....not sure if I can commit
            to the event myself due to work, etc but we'll see as time gets closer.

            Robin

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 23, 2006
              Hey guys, c'mon!  It ain't that hard to do a Western CS impression!
                Trousers were of similar styles, being the French style pocket, seen on both AOT and RD trousers, as well as the side seam pocket which also was seen in both armies. There are no shirt styles that seem to be more common in one theater than the other. Ditto shoes, socks, and drawers.  While there are a few kepis that seem to be of a very slightly different cut id'd to the AOT, a high quality jean cloth CS kepi would probably suffice for our purposes. Any high quality slouch had would work well also.
              As to packs, a correctly made CS "Mexican War" style pack would be ok, as would the plain ol' blanket roll.
               The big sticking point here, and the one that is making everyone hesitant about doing this impression is probably the jacket, right?  I'm sure a lot of you feel you need a Columbus jacket. Well do some looking at photos of AOT troops, (there are a few), and you will notice only one or two examples of guys wearing Columbus depot jackets. What appears to be the most common per the photographs are what we now referr to as a "basic"shell jacket.  Six piece body, either one piece or two piece sleeves, with button counts that vary from 5,6,7, or 8.
                As to  weapons, there were a great deal of 1854 Austrian Lorenz's in the ranks, but any correct P53 Enfield, or an M1855, or M1861 Springfield would be correct too, as would the occasional M1842 Springfield.
                Any unmarked CS made accoutrements would work, as would of course any Western CS made items, i.e., Atlanta Arsenal accoutrements.
                What will really make this impression work will be correctly made items worn the way the old soldiers wore them.
                Lets really try to get this off the ground!  It isn't that difficult and would be a real nice change from the hum-drum of always doing the same ANV impression.  If anyone has any questions/comments, or needs any help, Contact me, I'll be glad to help.

              Paul Manzo

              Robert Wallace <robwall45@...> wrote:

              Matt/Paul:

              I'd like to try and do a Western CS impression too, but I also have to agree
              that a western one would be more difficult to do....not sure if I can commit
              to the event myself due to work, etc but we'll see as time gets closer.

              Robin

              >From: paul manzi
              >To: NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Millis and stuff
              >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:28:04 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >I also have a couple of AOT jackets laying around that some guys could
              >borrow if they need one.
              >
              >Matt Reardon wrote: Paul,
              > I'm not of anything planned as of now. It was brought I think
              >brought up at some point. I'm not sure if I can 100% commit to it but I
              >definetly would like to know if there is interest from others about it. The
              >reason I cannot 100% commit to it is because I'll be down at school and
              >it'll be an even farther drive for me. It might be harder to do a Western
              >CS impression for us than it would be for the US guys but hey if we did the
              >39th NC me and you would be set! I'll let you know of my commitment as the
              >day comes closer.
              >
              > Matt
              > .
              >

              >---------------------------------
              > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great
              >rates starting at 1¢/min.
              >

              >---------------------------------
              >See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com. Check it out.

              Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/G0kwlB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • theodore urbanski
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 23, 2006
                Hi folks

                As I do Western theater Richmond Depot Jackets II & III are acceptable as well as Columbus Depot and sack coats were richmond Depot uniforms were issued to the boys who went to Knoxville, TN. for the siege.

                I Have proof of men drawing gear from the Richmond Depot in my files. Wide brim hats, kepis any style, shoes same, trousers jean wool any color or Federal Kersey. Tennessee issued blue and white checkered or white cotton shirts. Blanket roll best impression as they were considered 2nd rate soldiers to the Eastern boys. My unit took a federal wagon train in 1863 and were wearing blue Federal uniforms just before the battle of Farmington TN. where they changed into grey so they could take part in the battle.

                Ted
                4th Tenn. Cav.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • rgrandchamp40@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 23, 2006
                    All,
                    The ceremony Tom mentioned is on November 11, at North Burial Ground in Providence. They are rededicating a GAR plot, etc. It will be a good time. I am looking at putting together a Union company for the event, it is at most 2 hours from most of you'ens. As an added bonus I will give a tour of North Burial Ground and Swan Point Cemeteries. Amongst the people you will see are Ambrose Burnside, Sullivan Ballou, and a ton more. North Burial is the largest cemetery in RI and has over 1500 CW vets, including 450 in the plot. I hope some can come out and support this one as this is what we do to remember those whom gave the supreme sacrifice so we can enjoy all we do today. Please contact me here, or call me 401-474-4889 for more info or questions. RSG
                  • tom rosser
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 24, 2006
                      Spoons,

                      The reaction from folks who have attended their first
                      campaign event is usually rather special. I hope folks
                      can see the difference between a "sleep without tents"
                      effort and something requiring actual movement.

                      Although the spry elders and beardless youths of
                      Company B were severely handicapped by a first
                      sergeant with an unusually thick Hoosier accent, we
                      managed to muddle through most of the mundane company
                      level administrative chores with ease. LOL! Just
                      kidding - you did an excellent job.

                      For the fellows who have never fixed bayonets, never
                      used rammers, slept in the mud, marched in the rain,
                      kept a cold camp, never endured some minor physical or
                      mental hardships at an event, I'm always amazed at
                      what comes afterwards in the form of surprise and
                      disbelief. People want more, but there isn't much more
                      on the horizon on that scale.

                      Would that we had 2-3 similar events each season
                      within reasonable travel distance. About the only real
                      big winner next year is Banks Grand Retreat (aka Red
                      River III), and even with folks using air
                      transportation it will be a challenge to attend. It
                      will be worth it, just were the last two, but a
                      challenge.

                      If you get the chance to line up vacation days for
                      Banks Grand Retreat (March 14-18 2007), you won't
                      regret it. Dave Grieves is heading up a company for
                      that event, so you know it will be another well led
                      group. The recent date shift (see above) has hosed up
                      some of our plans to march in the St. Paddy's parade
                      in NYC, but folks will place their priorities where
                      they will.

                      Go.

                      Charles Heath

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Michael Jolin
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 24, 2006
                        Folks,

                        I mentioned this satirical article about the South rising again to some the guys on the way down to Rich Mountain (in the context of Confederates in the Attic, I believe - hey, it was a 13-hour trip!). It's from The Onion, the national humor weekly that is as dry and witty as anything out there. Thought I'd post it here in light of some of our more "serious" counterparts in this crazy hobby of ours. Enjoy and please don't take it seriously!

                        And the article:

                        South Postpones Rising Again For Yet Another Year

                        April 12, 2000 | Issue 36•13

                        HUNTSVILLE, AL–For the 135th straight year since Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, representatives for the South announced Monday that the region has postponed plans to rise again.

                        Enlarge ImageSouth Postpones Rising
                        Three of the estimated 45 million Southerners who have not yet gotten around to rising again.

                        "Make no mistake, the South shall rise again," said Knox Pritchard, president of the Huntsville-based Alliance Of Confederate States. "But we're just not quite ready to do it now. Hopefully, we'll be able to rise again real soon, maybe even in 2001."

                        Pritchard's fellow Southerners shared his confidence.

                        "Yes, sir. The South will rise again, and when it does, I'll be right up front waving the Stars and Bars," said Dock Mullins of Decatur, GA. "But first, I gotta get my truck fixed and get that rusty old stove out of my yard."

                        "Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, we gonna rise again," said Sumter, SC, radiator technician Hap Slidell, who describes himself as "Southern by the grace of God." "I don't know exactly when we're gonna do it, but one of these days, we're gonna show them Yankees how it's done."

                        "Save your Confederate dollars," Slidell added. "You can bet on that."

                        The Deep South states of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, and Tennessee consistently rank at the bottom of the nation in a wide variety of statistical categories, including literacy, infant mortality, hospital beds, toilet-paper sales, and shoe usage. Even so, some experts believe the region could be poised for a renaissance.

                        South Postpones Rising jump
                        The Kentucky state capitol.

                        "The way things stand, things in the Deep South almost have to get better. Otherwise, the people who live there will devolve into preverbal, overall-wearing sub-morons within a century," said Professor Dennis Lassiter of Princeton University. "Either Southerners will start improving themselves, or they'll be sold to middle-class Asians as pets."

                        "My constituents are decent, hard-working folk," said Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC), despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, in his 22nd annual "Next Year, By God!" speech on the steps of North Carolina's capitol building. "We are a proud people who mayn't have all that much fancy-pants book-learnin', but we live and die with pride in our proud heritage and the dignity of our forebears."

                        Helms' speech was met with nearly 25 minutes of enthusiastic hoots and rebel yells by the 15,000 drunk, unemployed tobacco pickers in attendance.

                        Though Southerners are overwhelmingly in favor of rising again, few were able to provide specific details of the rising-again process.

                        "I don't know, I reckon we'll build us a bunch of big, fancy buildins and pave us up a whole mess of roads," said Bobby Lee Fuller of Greenville, MS. "I ain't exactly sure where we're gonna get the money for that, but when Johnny Reb sets his mind to something, you best get out of his way."

                        "Oh, it'll happen, sure as the sun come up in the morning," said Buford Comstock, 26, a student at Over 'N' Back Diesel Driving School in Union City, TN. "The South is gonna rise up, just as soon as we get together and get all our shit back in one sock. Then, look out, Northerners!"

                        "Yesiree," Comstock added, "one day soon, the Mason-Dixon Line will be the boundary between a great nation and one whose time done passed."

                      • Cpl.R.C.Tarbox

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 17, 2006
                              Does anyone have an extra ground cloth I can borrow for Marlboro?

                              Thanks,
                              Matt Reardon

                              W.