Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Borderlands info

  • paul manzi
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2005
      Tom-

      If you or any of your bretheren in blue are interested, I can swing by your campain camping area at Borderlands, and speak with interested parties on Confederate kit, and how to do it correctly.  I've been at this the last 22 years, and at a minimum would like to meet your campaigners, if you don't mind a Johhny in camp for a spell.

      Tom Craig <firstmasscav@...> wrote:
      Paul,
         The lack of Confederates in my proposal was not of any intention.  I was only focusing on what I know well, and what I know I have to work with.  At this point, beyond yourself and anyone on this list with Confed. kit, I personally don't know Confeds. who are in the area and are of any quality to invite (not to say they aren't out there).
          I would be happy to have some Johnies to harass the picket line/run patrols toward the line etc, but I would want to make sure that they are of equal quality to what we're putting out.  No offense to anyone, I just want to put together a quality effort.
          If you, or folks you know can get something together I would be more than happy to incorporate it into what we're up to...however someone else would have to write the standards, and would have to do the coordinating with the Confed. event folks.  About all I really know about Confed kit is that it isn't blue!

      Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 5:34 AM
      Subject: Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Borderlands info

      Yankees only huh?  Bummer.  Guess we'll have to start our own group for the CS Campaigners.
      Hawk

      Tom Craig <firstmasscav@...> wrote:

      Hello All,
        In case you haven't gotten the email yet, I have downloaded the
      Borderlands proposal to the group site.  If you have some trouble
      reading it for any reason, or want it emailed to you, let me know and
      I'll get it to you in another format.
         I urge you all to take a good look at it.  It isn't nuclear
      science but I dare say that it is head and shoulders above
      the "typical" New England fair.  I hope you are all as excited about
      this as I am, and I hope that we see all of you at Borderlands.
      Please feel free to circulate this to other New England folks who
      might be interested.
          If you have any questions feel free to get in touch with me, or
      Todd.

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

    • Tom Gingras
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2005
        First off I would like say hello to everyone on the board. i have
        talked to some of you before others I am just meeting. So to all
        hello.

        Second: The talk about having Confed's to play with at Borderlands
        raises and interesting topic. I know for the Union effort the idea
        has been thrown out there by the New England brigade that any that
        wish to do so can join this company for the event. This is great but
        also means that there is no sure way of knowing how many guys are
        actaully on the ground(as well as only being for the Union). I would
        like to suggest that we get people on this board to form a core
        group that will relaibly be at this or that event and from that list
        have people say whether they will be Federal or Confederate, as well
        as those that have the ability to do both. that way as we get closer
        to D-day we can look at the nucleus of the company and see where
        those who can do both are needed. So that the officers can plan to
        do some playing or at least know someone else is out on pickett. One
        of the crapest things about the Waldoboro event last year was that
        60 yanks were chasing 10 confederates around in the woods. This
        small bit of organization on our part could go a long way in
        planning realisitic and enjoyable campaigner scenarios.
        tom gingras
      • Pvt.R.C.Tarbox
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2005
          Tom et all,

          I am able to do both impressions, I will likely be confederate for Borderlands. Some of my pards in the 5th VA may also like to give it a go if we can muster enough Rebs to make it worthwhile.

          I do know that my federal unit (6thNH) is planning on attending the event and I will bring this up at the meeting next Sunday. I would guess that the 6th would field about 10 rifles or so. Will let you know.

          Rob

          Tom Gingras <bgbrother@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Frank and Karen Lilley
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2005
            Rob I was at the CW swap last Sunday and I talked to who I believe was in a leadership role of the 5th VA. I told him what we (campaigner group) were doing at Borderlands and he was interested (in working out something with us from the confed side). It appears they are mainly a mainstream group but I'm not sure. As Todd and Tom said this was started as a federal campaigner affiliation, i.e. most of us from Tom Craig's group and 28th K do not do confed (as far as I know). Its not that some of us are philosophically opposed to it its just time money and keeping our own house in order.

            I think its great that a number of participants in this forum do dual impressions. In the end we are really striving for the same thing; more authentic events. The events I've been to in NE are primarily hosted by the Liberty grays and the NEB. The battles (and I've been to about 5-7 of them are generally terrible as is the circus atmosphere). We are trying to change this and have cocoon of authenticity to enjoy ourselves here in NE without driving 20 hours RT to VA/MD). My own opinion is this will not work in the end (this is going 2-3 years out) unless there is a like minded group we can trust on the confed side. However, all we can really do this year is get our own house in order and continue to reach across lines.

            Anyway I think its great you are doing reb at Borderlands, perhaps this will be an in to work out a few more realistic interactions instead of the typical LG/NEB Sunday football field Battle.

            Frank Lilley

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2005
              Frank,
              I think you hit the nail square on the head. The only caveat I have to that is that getting our own house in order (Federal) should be tied to at least a tokien rep on the Confederate side. I think the importance of confronting this as a united New England campaigners can not be overstated. When we do get organized on the Federal side we will want people to play with and if our philospohy, proposals and approach match we will grow with help from each other.
              Tom G.
            • Pvt.R.C.Tarbox
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7, 2005
                Frank,

                I believe you spoke to Brian he is the 1st Sgt. of the unit. You are correct that the 5th is primarily a mainstream group but like many other units in NE there are pockets of progressives in most unit's. Believe it or not...

                A couple times a year we make the trip south to do something more satisfying. I am pleased with the dialogue of this newsgroup and am optimistic that it will make a difference down the road.

                I can understand the federal campaign group getting thier house in order but would still encourage those of the confederate persuasion to participate in the "talks" and coordination of this effort.

                I myself, dont have the illusion of being a full time campaigner but doing a couple of well orchastrated events close to home would be first rate.

                thanks for the reply.

                Rob Tarbox