Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] JVC

  • Cpl.R.C.Tarbox
    Message 1 of 26 , May 13, 2006
      Tom et-all,

      Those of us of the jean cloth variety have formally come up with the name for our ad-hoc group. Hence forth we shall be known as "The Old Dominion Rifles" be affraid....be very affraid

      Our guiding impression will be that of the 48th VA. Part of Stonewall's Brigade for the JVC event. Matt is putting together some info that he will post shortly.

      Cheers!
      R.C.Tarbox

      Tom Craig <tom-craig@...> wrote:
      Guys,
         To echo what Todd is saying, we need to get registrations in for this.  I set the deadline for registration as 5/15 but I am going to extend that for a bit.  I really would appreciate an email head's up if you are planning to go.

      "Todd M. Bryda" <bryda@...> wrote:
      Lads,
      The deadline to register for JVC is drawing near, and Tom only has
      7...count 'em...7 registered people with the Union Guards. I know
      that the boys from my own dear 28th Mass., Co. K are perched on the
      edge of their chairs to send in their returns. How about the rest? We
      have some very cool things in store for you guys, but you have to
      register. Or, we could just sit back and bitch about the shitty
      events in New England....and then travel 12 hours to some field in
      Virginia that Stuart pissed on for something half as good as Tom and I
      are planning for you. (was that too subtle?)
      Seriously, please send the registrations in guys. We have rebs to
      kill. :)

      YHS,
      Capt. Todd Bryda
      Commanding, Union Guards (both of them)

      You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See how.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/G0kwlB/TM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Matt Reardon
      Message 2 of 26 , May 13, 2006
                  Actually the 48th Virginia was part of Campell's 2nd Brigade of Jackson's Division.

                And as Rob said, I'll be posting something in the next day or two.  I found some pictures of original soldiers of the 48th that I'll also include.

        Matt
        "Old Dominion Rifles"

        P.S. Please send registrations to me ASAP.  We already have better numbers than last year CS wise.  We'll be better commanded and we're going to have better scenarios.  So if you haven't already considered attended, please do so.  You won't regret it.

        Message 3 of 26 , May 14, 2006
          Guys,
             Todd and I took another look at the JVC site along with Marc Bassos, the event host, today.  Things look great and we have a lot of great things planned.

          Highlights:  I won't spill many beans so that you all can have some fun surprises at the event but here are a few highlights.
          -Period ration issue
          -cross country march of 1-1 1/2 miles
          -all night picket post
          -1st person interaction with "hostile" civilians

             Those are just a few of the things that we have up our sleeves.  The ground is very good and has a lot of space for different scenarios.  As a reminder it is based out of a mainstream event, so there will be anachronisms but we will do our best to minimaize the group's exporsure to those things throughout the weekend.

          REGISTRATION:  I had originally set the deadline for Federal registration as 5/15 (tomorrow).  Quite a number of you have told me that you are coming, but I haven't seen the registrations yet, so I am pushing the deadline back to May 31st.  The event will NOT except ANY WALKONS---I reapeat NO WALKONS are allowed.  Registration for the event closes June 3rd.  Send your registration, along with a check for $17 to:
          Tom Craig
          95 Holley Place
          Torrington, CT, 06790

              If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.  This is a great opportunity to get together with some like minded folks close to home.  Get registered, get on board, and get ready for a good event.
        • jerzeeblues@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , May 15, 2006

            I sent my registration to you on Thursday.

            Harry
          • Matt Reardon
            Message 5 of 26 , May 15, 2006

              Tom,
                 The ration check for the CS is in the mail today.  You should get it by tomorrow.

              Matt

              Message 6 of 26 , May 16, 2006
                    Fellow Old Dominion Rifles,
                                 This will be part 1 of 2 emails, I will send out giving you basic information upon our guiding impression for the JVC event.  Part 1 includes unit history up until the time frame of the JVC event.  Part 2 will include the uniform and equipment standards.  Also, I have attached a photo of a soldier of the 48th in the photo section of the New England Campaigners yahoo group.

                Matt Reardon
                "River Rat Mess"
                Old Dominion Rifles

                    The 48th Virginia Infantry was organized in September, 1861 and contained units from Scott, Washington, Smyth, Russell, and Lee counties. It was mustered into Confederate service in Abingdon, Virginia on September 30. The unit was reorganized on April 21, 1861 and its term of service was extended to three years.

                The regiment had the following higher command assignments:

                September 20, 1861--Sixth brigade, Army of the Northwest
                December 8, 1861--Attached, Infantry, Valley District
                May 8, 1862--Second Brigade, Army of the Valley
                May 20, 1862--Second Brigade, Jackson's Division, Army of the Valley

                The 48th Virginia Infantry participated in the following engagements:

                Operations in the Valley District and against Romney, W. Va.
                November 4, 1861 - February 21, 1862

                Operations in the Shenandoah Valley
                May 15 - June 17, 1862

                Operations against Harper's Ferry, W. Va.
                May 24 - May 30, 1862

                Engagement, Middletown, Va.
                May 24, 1862

                Action, Newtown, Va.
                May 24, 1862

                Engagement, Winchester, Va.
                May 25, 1862

                Battle, Cross Keys (Union Church), Va.
                June 8, 1862

                Engagement, Port Republic, Va.
                June 8 - June 9, 1862

                  Narrowing it down for any possible first person interaction, we've picked Company D of the 48th Virginia to represent.  98% of the regiment were farmers or farm hands.  Other occupations included a school teacher, a blacksmith, a laborer and a student.
                       Company D's life began at Seven Mile Ford in Smyth County Virginia on May 18, 1861. On that spring day, 97 men enrolled in the “Smyth Rifle Greys”. The first captain was James Scott Greever, a twenty-four year old honor graduate of Emory and Henry College and a Smyth County teacher. This was the first of the groups to organize that would eventually form the 48th Virginia. They were given a silk flag made from the wedding dress of a Mrs. Arthur Cummings of Abingdon. As well, various people and civic groups donated money and provisions. They stayed in the vicinity of Smyth County until June 23 when they began the march to Abingdon. It should be noted that the 48th was recruited and organized in the same area as the 63rd Virginia, and it is not the last time that they will cross paths. On June 27, the Colonel and Lt. Colonel of the regiment were appointed and the regiment was officially designated the 48th Virginia Infantry. The company was first designated as Co. A, but by April 1862 would finally be designated Co. D. (For clarity, we will always refer to ourselves as Co. D.) As the regiment began to organize, it was described by Lt. Frank Robertson as a “big regiment . . . composed of big mountaineers . . . . These ‘Mountain Boomers’ were highly independent and had no use for ‘Discipline’ . . . . They were fine soldiers in battle, but difficult in barracks.” In July of 1861 came the first of many problems for Co. D—seven men went AWOL. As well, the regiment had not yet received its equipment. On July 25, “arms, tents, and equipage” were finally procured for the regiment. On July 26, 1861, the 48th Virginia Infantry, 836 strong, boarded cars for the Virginia and Tennessee railroad. On this day, the regiment departed for war. Soon after arriving in Staunton, the regiment was directed for Lynchburg, Va. Their stay would be short however; defeats at Rich Mountain and Corrick’s Ford had created a need for Confederate reinforcements in western Virginia. The 48th would arrive too late to play any role in the actions at Rich Mountain or Corrick's Ford.

                Links to letters written by members of the 48th which might be helpful:

                Message 7 of 26 , May 16, 2006
                  Harry,
                     Thanks a bunch!  I got the check in the mail.
                  Tom

                  Tom

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 16, 2006
                      Matt,

                      Nice work, it was a good read. Looking forward to more.

                      YOS
                      R.C.Tarbox
                      5th VA
                      "Old Dominion Rifles"

[...]

                    • DeAngelis Family
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 21, 2006
                        Tom:

                        Registration is in the mail tomorrow for myself and drummer Wheeler DeAngelis.  I couldn't find an individual registration form on the site, just a unit form.  So I filled in the basics - leaving the details to you.

                        I'm looking forward to sharing the camp and campaign with my comrades from Company K, 28th Mass. and all of the Union Guard.

                        See you in hell, boys.

                        Mark DeAngelis
                        28th Mass, Co. K
                        Union Guard
                        Gallant Sons of Erin

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 22, 2006
                          Mark,
                             Great to hear.
                          Everyone else:
                             The registrations have started to roll in and things are looking good for JVC.  Make sure that if you haven't sent yours in yet that you do so ASAP.  Registration is 100% closed for the campaigner effort on May 31st.  There are no walk-ons for the event so if you want to go, get registered!

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 23, 2006
                            Hi all,

                            Well I'll get straight to the point.  I located in central Connecticut and was wondering if I could carpool with someone going to Rich Mountain.  I can also make it to Northern New Jersey if no one is going through CT.

                            Sincerely,
                            Bill Backus

                          • Michael Jolin
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 23, 2006
                              I think that's the most I've ever heard you say! Just kidding, Bill!

                              I was thinking about trans to RM this morning. I know of at least 6 coming from MA/RI, four of which are definitely coming with me (as I'm one of the four). I always go through CT (via Rt. 6 from Providence) when I head down south so if we get our act together and rent a van, I'd be happy to include you in our plans. I'll float the idea around to see if it's feasible (everyone always says "yes" at first and then they back out but I'll try). It'll probably be in the neighborhood of $100 each to rent something plus gas, food, and beer (just kidding). We may go down Thursday night and stay in central Jersey before completing the trek as it will be a good ride down there.

                              Anyway, I'll stay in touch...

                              Mike Jolin

                              Bill Backus <wbackus1864@...> wrote:
                              Hi all,

                              Well I'll get straight to the point.  I located in central Connecticut and was wondering if I could carpool with someone going to Rich Mountain.  I can also make it to Northern New Jersey if no one is going through CT.

                              Sincerely,
                              Bill Backus

                            • Frank and Karen Lilley
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 23, 2006

                                Bill I always drive though Central CT (84) I take the Scranton route.

                                Frank Lilley

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 24, 2006
                                  Guys,
                                     I just wanted to remind you all that registration for Federal campaigners will close one week from today.  The pace of registration has certainly picked up, but there are a few of you that I haven't heard from yet.  Now's the time.
                                     If you for some reason sent in your registration to the event folks please let me know so I can count you in.  Otherwise send your registration and your check for $17 to:
                                  Tom Craig
                                  95 Holley Place
                                  Torrington, CT, 06790

                                • Bill Backus

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 30, 2006
                                      Guys,
                                         A few of things on JVC
                                      1) I've got a guy who wants to hit JVC but he lives in Maine and currently relies on public transport.  Some of you may know him-Tim Kindred.  He's a decent guy.  If anyone is coming from up that way, or is passing through Hartford or another city with regular bus service let me know and I will put you in touch with him.

                                      2) Registration: Registration for our part of the event closes tomorrow 5/31!!!  If you are just waking up and haven't sent me your stuff, there is still time.  If it is on the way, or you forgot to mail it email me ASAP and I will make sure that you get on the list before the event's June 3rd cut off.  Remember there are NO-WALK ONS!

                                      3)  If you happened to get flumoxed and sent your registration in to the event rather than sending it to me, please let me know that also.  I only have the folks who have registered through me.  Anybody else isn't on my list, and so far isn't part of the plan.

                                      Any questions please contact me!
                                      (860) 489-6302
                                      tom-craig@...

                                    • jerzeeblues@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 31, 2006

                                        Would you post a roster including rank for JVC?

                                        Thanks
                                        Harry C
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 31, 2006
                                          Harry,
                                             I will post a roster either tonight or tomorrow night.  I have a few last minute add ons that I am confirming and after that we'll be set to rock.  In a nice change from the usual we are adding guys as we get closer to the event rather than losing them!

                                          Tom

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 13, 2006
                                            Guys,
                                                I am passing on some more info on this weekend's festivities.  The weather forcast looks great, which is a shocker based on our weather lately...let's hope it stays good!

                                            Rations:  Rations will be issued at approximately 6 PM on Friday night.  Make sure that you bring some poke sacks etc to carry your share in your haversack.  We will be issuing coffee but you have to bring your own sugar, cream, muffins, danish etc!

                                            Meeting place: The Friday night Union Guard camp will be in one of the upper corners of the field where the Federal camp is located.  It isn't a big field so you shouldn't have trouble finding us.  For those of you who were there last time, the US camp is in a totally different spot than it was in '04.
                                                I will be on site no later than 3PM on Friday, and will probably be there earlier.  We will aim to "go live" by 6 with who ever is on hand.

                                            Packing: We will not have any sort of fixed camp for the weekend.  If you bring it you will have to carry it, so pack light.

                                            General expectations:  Come to this effort with a good attitude and a willingness to do the duty of a soldier.  You may be asked to pull picket duty at some ugly hour, or some other nuisance.  Do what the soldiers did, do your duty, and then bitch about it to your pards afterward...it's half the fun.
                                                This isn't an immersion first person experience, but do try to avoid loud and sustained modern banter etc.

                                               If you have any issues or anything comes up please feel free to contact me.  My number is (860) 489-6302.