[NewEnglandCampaigners] Road to Goldsboro?

  • Mark McCormick
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 15, 2006
      Is anyone on this list looking at this event?

      http://www.roadtogoldsboro.com/index.html

      Looks interesting to me, but North Carolina is a bit if a drive unless a few
      guys want to carpool?

      Stiggs
    • bgbrother@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2006
        That event looks awesome. If there is a group going I would be interested in going.

        Is anyone on this list looking at this event?

        http://www.roadtogoldsboro.com/index.html

        Looks interesting to me, but North Carolina is a bit if a drive unless a few
        guys want to carpool?

        Stiggs

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 15, 2006
          Stiggs,
             I am going but will be doing cavalry for that one.  If they can pull the event together as advertised it should be one hell of a time!

          Mark McCormick <pvt_stiggs@...> wrote:
          Is anyone on this list looking at this event?

          http://www.roadtogoldsboro.com/index.html

          Looks interesting to me, but North Carolina is a bit if a drive unless a few
          guys want to carpool?

          Stiggs

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Frank and Karen Lilley
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006

            I thinking about it but it’s really far about 4 hours south of Hagerstown I think. But it sounds excellent i.e. on par with PF. May be worth the long drive

            If you going contact me, I might be talked into it.

            Frank Lilley

            Lilley22@...

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 17, 2006
                The event is near Dunn, NC

                Jerry

                NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                |Frank,
                | I also think it may be worth the long drive...that is why I'm going. It is more than 4 hours past Hagerstown. The event is roughly in NE North Carolina, not too far from 95 but no where near Hagerstown, MD.

                Sent through e-mol. E-mail, Anywhere, Anytime. http://www.e-mol.com
              • Frank and Karen Lilley
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 17, 2006

                  Yo I know its not near Hager’s Town MD but for some reason that’s become a measuring stick for me driving south since I try to avoid going thru 95/D.C. 14-15 hours RT that’s tough. I’m going to think on this.

                  My long distance trip this year was slanted for Perryville. Don’t know if I can handle two very long distance trips.

                  Frank Lilley

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 18, 2006
                      I'm willing to throw my hat in the ring for Goldsboro if there is a group of guys going. This event looks awesome.

                      Tom G.

                      Is anyone on this list looking at this event?

                      http://www.roadtogoldsboro.com/index.html

                      Looks interesting to me, but North Carolina is a bit if a drive unless a few
                      guys want to carpool?

                      Stiggs

                      TaxidermyHobbyHobby and craft supply
                      Craft hobbyHobbies and crafts

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    • Michael Jolin
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 18, 2006
                        I too am considering the event. Hardcore Harry expressed some interest in it and wanted me to tag along. My schedule is up in the air until I get Uncle Sam to nail down my advanced individual training which makes planning things difficult. As we get closer, we should see if there's still some interest so we can share resources (rides, gas, etc.)...

                        Rock on!

                        Mike "Spoons" Jolin

                        bgbrother@... wrote:
                        I'm willing to throw my hat in the ring for Goldsboro if there is a group of guys going. This event looks awesome.

                        Tom G.

                        Is anyone on this list looking at this event?

                        http://www.roadtogoldsboro.com/index.html

                        Looks interesting to me, but North Carolina is a bit if a drive unless a few
                        guys want to carpool?

                        Stiggs

                        TaxidermyHobbyHobby and craft supply
                        Craft hobbyHobbies and crafts

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        Yahoo! Photos

                      • Matt Reardon
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 19, 2006
                          Can I get in on this event too?  I live in the West Haven, CT area.  If you want to contact me offline, my phone is 203-647-0234 or my cell at 203-733-3543 or email: robwall45@....

                          When is it agian, I want to mark it on my calender?

                          Thanks,
                          Robin
                          38th NCT

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 19, 2006
                            31 March to 02 April.

                            I have a Jeep wrangler and not a lot of room but I would be willing to pay my share in gas and driving if someone has room. I'm not sure how much of an option flying is with the TSA.

                            Is anyone on this list looking at this event?

                            http://www.roadtogoldsboro.com/index.html

                            Looks interesting to me, but North Carolina is a bit if a drive unless a few
                            guys want to carpool?

                            Stiggs

                            Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
                            Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 19, 2006
                              Tom,
                                  Flying can be done with your weapon fairly readily.  You cannot fly with powder and caps, so you would have to figure out some way around that.  There are a number of threads on the AC about flying with your musket-do a search there and you'll find 'em.  The jist of them is that you need a locking hard-sided case.  You have to declare the weapon and open the case for inspection at check-in.  The longest off the shelf gun case will require you to dismantle your musket, but that isn't too bad.
                                 ****Always check with you airline first for specific requirements!

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 19, 2006
                                Tom, etc:

                                Yeah, I'd need to work around the musket issue as well.  When I went to McDowell last april, I was lucky enough to be able to borrow a musket from a friend as he was doing officer for the event.

                                I'd need a ride as well, (I have a '91 Mercury Grand Marquis which has a lot of room, but I can't drive on highway as of now b/c of an eyesight issue).  I"m also willing to chip in for gas, etc to share a ride.

                                Thanks in advance,
                                Robin

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006

                                  Frank:

                                  In running through the threads I noticed you're looking for info on the 2nd Mass for the "Road to Goldsboro Event". We (150th NY)  were brigaded with the 2nd Mass, along with the 3rd Wis and 13th NJ. (Hawley was the 3rd Wis Col until he was booted up to Brigade). Vol. 47 Part one (reports) of the Official Records will have all reports pertaining to the Carolina's campaign. You can access it via Cornell University or U Mich through the "Making of America" websites. You can search the volume index for all mention of the 2nd Mass. It will give some stuff on Order of Battle, regimental, brigade, division and Army Corps reports. You'll also get any reference from somebody else's reports. I found a lot of information on my unit, which later was confirmed by diairies and day books we discovered in the Dutchess County Historical Society.

                                  As for the trip, I have gone down that way about 10 times since '92. From here in Poughkeepsie its 11.5 or so hours. We always left Thursday night and drove thru the night, and arrived 8:00 or so Friday morning. I'm not sure where this event is actually going to be held, but if yo u do pass through Dunn, there is a small museum on the BAttle of Averasboro, and it is on the original battlefield. We had the privilege of marching the 150th's advance on the 2nd Confederate line a few years ago. We got permission and walked the route they took as the field is nearly the same as it was in '65.

                                  Anyway, wish I had the time for that event, but no way I could get a Friday and a Monday (even though my students would love it!)

                                  All for the Union,

                                  Pete Bedrossian

                                  150th NY