Marlboro 06' "Pioneers in the Valley"

  • Cpl.R.C.Tarbox
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2006
      Comrades,

      I am beginning to work on the Marlboro Campaign for this upcoming season. The date has been set for August 18-20th. We had a great go at it last season and I hope this year we can improve upon it's concept.

      We will continue to strive for high standards and hope that once again you will join us in the fray. Please be sure to spread the word to your like-minded pards. The event will continue to be a strictly campaigner event for those of us in the New England area. I think we found a pretty good balance of maintaining authenticity while still keeping modern needs and safety in mind.

      At this point I am going to bring the original concept of last year's event back to the forefront; which was.... recon as well as building earthen works and fortifications

      I envision two opposing forces out in the field using their Officers and NCO's to both survey the land and establish good ground as well as have squads on patrol for reconnaissance and protecting the lines.Digging trenches, stacking timber with head logs etc. being the order of the day.

      Hopefully this time around assuming we will gain more troops we can have a force in the field and on guard and alternate them with those on Pioneer duty.

      In keeping with this "scenario" if you will... We would essentially be detailed as Pioneers. Now...... We have roughly 7 months for preparation and it should be completely plausible for each of you to obtain period tools for this campaign.

      Keep you eyes peeled for shovels, pick-axes, axes and the like of a period-esque design at yard sales flea markets etc. All of the items I have procured have been purchased in the $2- $8 range and are quite serviceable.

      We will have a few work days over the course of the Spring and Summer to prepare the site and I welcome any of your input in what you would like to do for this event in addition.

      We will be moving around a bit this time and I am anticipating a 4 mile Federal march to the site on some of the back roads(dirt covered).

      *Registration will likely be due in mid June.

      I will be sending out tid-bits from time to time pertaining to the scenario. Again thank you for your support and hope to see you in the field. I did not have all the email addresses of last year's participants but if you were present in 05 you are more than welcome in 06. If I missed someone you are aware of please have them get in touch with me so I can add them to the list.

      Finally, below are a few things to ponder as we embark on another adventure in Marlboro.
      Thanks, YOS - R.C.Tarbox

      Pioneer and pontonier units were established by the field commanders in the Union Army. Although at times these units were under the command of engineer officers, they were not actually engineer units. The Army of the Potomac fixed the strength of the pioneer organization at 2 per cent of the effective force of the infantry brigade. A captain was detailed by the division commander to command the pioneers who carried axes, shovels, and picks, and whose duty was to construct and repair roads, bridges, and temporary defenses.

      In the Shenandoah Valley in June 1862, Captain Mapes' Pioneers were organized by the detail of 50 men from the participating infantry regiments to repair the bridges between Front Royal and Strasburg, Virginia.
      Thienel, Phillip M., 1955.  Engineers in the Union Army, 1861--1865:  Military Engineer, vol. 47, nos. 315-316.

      In a 12-hour forced march, Butler's Army of the James moved from the Petersburg trenches 17 miles northeast to Deep Bottom Bridge. Loaded with greatcoats, packs, haversacks, canteens, rifles, tent halves, 60 rounds of ammunition and three days' cooked rations each, the troops resembled pack mules more than infantrymen.
      Part of a Story by Chaplain (Col.) John Brinsfield

      Just some idea's
      Equipment For Twenty Men - Estimate For Regiment
      Six Felling Axes                    Six Hammers
      Six Hatchets                         Two Half-Inch Augurs
      Two Cross-Cut Saws           Two Inch Augurs
      Two Cross Cut Files             Two Two-Inch Augurs
      Two Hand-Saws                  Twenty lbs. Nails, Assorted
      Two Hand-Saw Files            Forty lbs. Spikes, Assorted
      Six Spades                           One Coil Rope
      Two Shovels
      Three Picks

       Pioneers would often move in advance of the army.  All the work at the front of the army would fall on their shoulders.  Conversely, the army engineers were employed chiefly on the lines of communication to the rear.  Both would be active in reinforcing gains made by the army on it's march.  Therefore, the Pioneer's duties would consist of the two tasks that were the most critical to an army advancing onto enemy soil; the same two General Buell sorely overlooked, reinforcing captured enemy ground to protect the rear and preparing transportation infrastructure to hasten the advance.    http://www.thecivilwargroup.com/pioneer.html     read more about it...

      That's it for now...
      R.C.Tarbox
      6th NHVI
      5th VA