Bowdoin questions

  • Mark DeAngelis
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 11:24 AM
      Hi all:

      The Bowdoin event sounds like it holds some real possibilities for
      some nice daytime immersion activities. However, I am concerned
      about the campaign camping options.

      I camp (modern) in the Bath area in August and it takes two wool U.S.
      blankets and a tent full of body heat to make it through the night
      comfortably. I imagine that the nighttime conditions in Bowdoin in
      the middle of May would be more like conditions in Virginia in the
      middle of March. There was a reason (besides impassible roads) why we
      don't see any battles in Virginia in March. At that time, troops
      would have been in permanent winter camps - in log huts with
      fireplaces. If any regiment was on the move, I am sure that they
      would have turned some secesh family out of their quarters in order
      to secure a warm dry place for the night rather than risk the whole
      group coming down with frostbite.

      So, unless I'm wrong about the climate (Paul - help us out here)the
      thing that the organizers could provide to make the event attractive
      is a barn or shelter or something for the night.

      Otherwise, we could go with a stationary, garrison camp in wedges
      where we could have extra blankets. But trying to maintain
      a "campaign" camp under those conditions would be, I think, modern
      folly and questionably accurate.

      Templeton allows for the option of a more campaign type camp - but
      little or no daytime immersion.

      So, I think that is the trade-off. Any other comments or suggestions?

      I would like to see the NECC get together in May if for no other
      reason than to drill and get to know each other. We just have to
      choose which event and under what scenario.

      Mark D.
      28th Mass, Co. K
    • Tyler Godrich
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 6:02 PM
        Howdy pard
         Im not sure if its diff in Maine then Vermont but a may night is fine with just one blanket and a fire i have always stayed warm. The boys of 61 and on would have done some skirmishes in the winter spring months so im for just the campaigner yes a barn would be great also but im not with the A tents and then doing a tactical type event.
        But we all have an opinion this is just my 2 cents
        Hope to see you at Bowdin or Borderlands.
        Your pard
         Tyler Goodrich
        Green mt mess

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2 6:38 PM
          Hi Tyler:

          Thanks for the info.  We "Southerners" (Connecticut) will have to rely on the opinions of you Northern fellows.  If the nights will be tolerable in a bivouc, then I'm all for the event. Having to go with a garrison camp would be a significant letdown.

          Any other opinions or comments out there?

          Mark D
          28th Mass. Co. K