Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] 2006 Events

  • Pvt.R.C.Tarbox
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2005
      Good day to you Thomas et all,

      Perfect timing putting this list together! I will be having a meeting with the 6th NH this weekend and will bounce this list off of them.

      My personal input is:

      #1 Mumford  Not sure about this one, Think I am heading to Manassas or Cedar Creek so it seems.

      # 2  Goshen..... I think this would be an excellent venue for us to get together. The site is pretty spacious and I know Marc Bassos of the 1st MD. (sponsor) and he has expressed some real interest in having some of us bushwackers out and about.

      Marc himself as an organizer is very campaigner friendly. I would be willing to coordinate the CS forces with you or anyone for that matter for some proper opposition. Pickets, long patrol- sounds good!

      #3 GAR cemetary sounds good too. Rob Grandchamp is a first rate lad and I would back him on this. In blue of course

      #4 Sept. VT Tactical... Might be willing to move to August if there is interest??? Guy that organized it last year is one helluva guy..

      #5 Long Patrol. again sounds good and I could coordinate CS forces if desired.

      #6 Newfane NY Been very tempted but as we say in NH "too fah!"
      We have permission to construct winter quarters at the Marlboro property and although it would take atleast a year of preparation and some serious commitment from you fine folks we could do the same thing here in our own back yard... We can talk about this...

      #7 Been there twice with the Rebs. Had a pretty good time but the multiple time periods thing would  prove a bit bizzare for any immersion stuff. Might be a good idea for a living history though and snag some recruits to the dark side of reenacting

      #8 Templeton I agree with the opinions expressed. This is an event I like to take the family to and watch my sons play with their muskets with all the other reenactor kids. The kid battles are actually better than the adult battles.
      However.... Might be a good meet and greet as well as a drill opportunity as someone else suggested.

      #9 Fort Warren don;t know anything about this one.

      #10 Millis... Sorry guys I like Millis There are some pretty cool nooks and cranies on the property that could afford some fun in the woods. If we can avoid the P.I. Again run by the 1st MD. and I could coordinate the CS forces.

      I think that if we shoot for 3 solid events as a cohessive body of Union and Confederate Soldiers on campaign we would be doing well. I think I could possibly field a company of Rebs in the 20-30 range if we can get the band back together from Marlboro.

      Let me know what y'all think.

      I remain
      YHS
      R.C.Tarbox

      DeAngelis Family <mdeangelis1864@...> wrote:
      Hi Tom:

      Thanks for putting this list together.  Here's my personal rankings of events and two cents.  Everyone, please pipe in with comments.

      1. July - Genesee Village, Mumford NY - strictly speaking not an immersion event - but year in and year out a quality event with unique battle scenarios fighting through a period town and opportunities for first person interaction with civilians.

      2. June - Goshen - the site provides us a lot of opportunities.

      3. Nov. GAR cemetary  - This is part of the important work of honoring the boys in blue

      4. Sept. Vt tactical - Reports on the '05 version make '06 sound promising. Unfortunately, the Sept date is tough for a lot of folks with academic jobs or kids in school.

      5. Late April/early May - The long patrol - sounds like there is potential - could it possibly grow in future years into a tactical?

      Best of the rest:

      6. Feb - Newfane NY - I did CR camp in Elmira in 3 feet of snow and COI (Camp of Ice) in Oneonta.  If you haven't done a winter event, it is definitely worth the experience.  I would have ranked this in the top 3 if it weren't such a damned long drive for a weekend (near Niagara Falls).

      7. August - Sturbridge - I haven't been to this event before but it seems popular.  Being in Sturbridge Village has some definite upsides.  But I wonder how many real first person interaction opportunities there may be with folks of other time periods about. I defer to those who know more about the event.

      8. May Templeton - small site with limited opportunities for immersion other than camping.  If the long patrol event doesn't happen, then it may be worthwhile as a drill/training/meet-and-greet event.

      9. August - Fort Warren - awesome site - but in the past a lot of animosity from mainstreamers about even the thought of doing anything progressive at "their event".  If as Tom says the mainstream event is truly caput and there is a void to fill it could be an awesome progressive event - but I suspect that someone needs to take the bull by the horns and plan for '07 in order for that to happen.

      10. Sept. Millis -  I have never been to this event because the Sept date is tough for me.  Based on conversations with people who I feel are knowledgeable and honest, I understand this event to be perenially overrun with the poorest quality reenactors in the hobby. Given the date, I would avoid it and concentrate on the tactical.

      Again, lads, these are my opinions, only.  Please feel free to share yours.

      I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday.

      Mark DeAngelis
      28th Mass Co. K
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2005
        Hi guys!
        I apologize for being MIA since Marlborough, but that is the
        nature of the beast for academics.
        I also want to welcome all the new members to the group. You
        won't be sorry. There are some real quality guys here. Just don't
        get Tom Craig talking about the mating rituals of horses.
        About the schedule, Tom thank you for getting the discussion
        rolling! Here are my two cents:

        May - Yes to Templeton. Co. K has always treated as an opportunity
        to shake the rust out, get some drill in, and see some pards.

        June - Yes to Goshen. Because of scheduling, this will have to be
        our Borderlands this year. Like Borderlands, there is great
        potential for fun and excitement. You just have to create your own
        event within the event.

        July - Yes to Genessee. I have been going to this event every year
        for 13 years, and I never get sick of it. The potential for 1st
        person is high; fighting through a 19th century town is the best time
        shift that you'll ever get.

        August - I'm torn here. I like going to Ryegate, VT to help support
        my good friends up north. As long as they don't feed us Duraflame as
        a cheap substitute for brown bread, it is always a fun low key
        event. Fort Warren is a great site. (Logistics can be hellish
        though). If the Marlborough Tactical shifts to August, I would have
        to go to that one. We didn't really talk about it a lot on the site,
        but it was the balls!! I led a small but determined little band of
        boys in blue who had the unusual role of aggressor squad, and they
        did great. We captured colors, ambushed reb camps, escaped from a
        surrounded position in the wee hours, and made real inroads to curing
        that pesky cancer problem. :)

        Sept. - I've heard mixed things about Millis, but I could be
        convinced to support it.

        I guess what I am saying here boys is that the whole purpose of
        starting this band of brothers was to kick up a notch here in New
        England. I hear what you guys are saying about Southern events. I
        have done my share. I just think that Marlborough proved beyond a
        shadow of a doubt that you can have a great, quality event and NOT
        have to travel 12 hours. I will say for the record that Marlborough
        brought me more enjoyment as an event than Recon II. The VT
        organizers were great! I'll gladly travel South for something that I
        can't get here, but if we continue to choose to travel South instead
        of supporting local events, than we simply play into the same trap
        that has plagued New England for years. Now is our time, lads.

        My humble opinion ....

        Todd Bryda

        P.S. Thanks Tom for taking the bull by the horns!

        Service.

        > "Don't you run till you see the Sixth New Hampshire run; but when
        you see that regi-ment retreating, you may do likewise." (officer of
        another regiment fighting with the sixth at Bull Run)

        > {History of the Sixth New Hampshire Regiment in the War for the
        Union

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 2005
          Guys,
             Todd brought up something that I wanted to clarify.  There is no Ryegate, VT event this season.  Barb Watts is taking a year off, but will be back in 2007.  I still maintain that that event has great potential for us, but not for this year.