Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Payne's Farm AAR

  • caleb horton
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
      Tom, you forgot to mention one other low. That damn
      abolishionist in our company.

      signed the "70's" re enactor

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Frank and Karen Lilley
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 5, 2005

        Tom it sounded like a great event from what I have read here and on the AC forum, did you do infantry? I wish I could have been there just the wrong time of year for me.

        Frank Lilley

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
          Tom:

          Nicely written. For those of you who didn't make it, you missed a fine event. It was not an event for the faint-of-heart though. I overheard Matt Caldwell say in the parking lot after the event was over that he was tired from lack of sleep and hungry from lack of food - in other words, it was a great event! I concur.

          As Tom mentioned, it was at or below freezing both nights. The march was not overly long but was made more difficult by the extra weight on our backs. The rations were issued on Friday night and were meager (a small slab of bacon and 8 crackers). They had to last for two days and barely did so. It was a 24/7 environment so we had constant details - water, firewood, guard duty, etc. But all of that made it fun for us in the hobby who prefer to choose the hard right instead of the easy wrong.

          Tom failed to mention how he managed to sleep on Saturday night with temps in the high 20's. He got lucky with his spooning partner - me! I can generate some heat and Tom was the beneficiary thereof. He can put off some heat too and made for a better heat source than the skinny 17-year old that I paired up with on Friday night!

          Highs:
          - Retracing the movements and battle on original ground
          - Over $10,000 raised for preservation
          - Lots of New York State jackets sprinkled throughout the federal battalion (we portrayed the 151st NY) from a bulk buy with Chris Daley
          - Lots of period griping but everyone did their duty
          - Special orders/fate cards from Kevin O'Bee
          - Tom Craig's body temp
          - Great pards
          - Seeing some fine young reenactors joining the group

          Lows:
          - The freaking low nighttime temps
          - Marching on blacktop for much of the time, in modern neighborhoods (couldn't be helped but still a downer)
          - Lot of talking and general lack of military bearing while in formation (as a corporal I take some of the blame for this but it was my first time and some of the offenders were long-time reenactors; I just didn't feel right in admonishing them but probably should have)
          - Lack of basic drill knowledge by some (which is fine as long as those that need to work on it admit they need help and ask for it or at least work on it on their own; we won't think any less of you!)

          Rich Mountain is a similar-type event scheduled for July 14-16, 2006. Mark it on your calendars!

          Cheers!

          Michael

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
            Caleb,
               You're right, that damned abolitionist and his darky friends...they cost us a lot of good men!  Just wait, when I make 1st Sgt I will send him on a patrol that he'll never return from...and I'll send the supernumerary with him!

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/G0kwlB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
              Frank
                 It was too bad that you couldn't make it.  It was head and shoulders over McDowell in my book.  Lots of great impressions and attitudes.
                 I was on foot with Co B (Columbia Rifles and friends).  Really makes you want a horse when you march those miles with all that extra stuff on your back!

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
                Mike,
                   Likewise good points!  If any of you ever find yourselves facing a cold night under the stars look for Mike.  He hit the hay about an hour before me.  By the time I landed next to him he had warmed up my blankets and created a toasty warm spot form me to settle into...he is one warm guy!
                   On a related note, if any of you would like to try something totally different, I would like to recommend Winter '64.  Below is a brief description that doesn't do the event justice.  It is truely a unique opportunity to experience winter quarters the way "they" did.  And no, you won't freeze your ass off as the huts get really warm when the stoves are stoked.  Sign up now as space is going fast!

                “WINTER 1864” VI

                A WINTER QUARTERS IMMERSION EVENT

                Newfane, Niagara County, New York

                February 17-19, 2006

                NEWFANE, N.Y. – The next “Winter 1864” immersion event will be held in mid-February 2006 in Niagara County, New York.  “W64” is sponsored by the 151st New York of the Potomac Legion.  The 151st has been constructing winter huts at the event site for several years, and the site currently has about 10 winter huts (including a stockaded Sibley tent), plus a kitchen hut, sutler hut, guardhouse hut, officer hut, non-commissioned staff hut, heated hospital tent, a log cabin for the regimental laundress, and other period-style buildings.

                .  This event is a rare, first-person opportunity to portray the same regiment (151st New York) in two consecutive events (Payne’s Farm and W64) representing a single historical timeline (Mine Run 1863 and the winter quarters immediately following it).

                W64 features two days of non-spectator, semi-immersion Civil War living history in period-style log huts, including guard mount ceremony and guard duty, Sunday inspection, and first-person activities that are well-scripted in advance, but not announced to participants beforehand (suffice to say, the minds that dream these things up are fertile, and all based on actual events in the Army of the Potomac’s winter quarters).  Registration for the event is limited to sixty-five men due to bunk space constraints.  Registration opened October 30, 2005 immediately following the Payne’s Farm event and is already about two-thirds full, so register by the end of November (at latest) to get a spot.  The $12 registration fee includes cooked rations for from Saturday morning through Sunday morning.

                The event scenario is the camp of Companies K and H of the 151st New York State Volunteers in February 1864, outside of Brandy Station, Virginia.  The 151st was part of the Army of the Potomac, Third Corps, Third Division.  “Staff” positions include the Officer of the Day (Kevin O’Beirne of the CR), Adjutant (Dennis Schank of the 151st NY), Sergeant Major (Scott Schotz of the 151st NY), and Assistant Surgeon (Noah Briggs, independent).  Company commanders will be Pete Smith (CR) and Garr Gast (122nd NY/CR).  Orderly Sergeants will be Steve Tyler (CR) and Dave Grieves (122nd NY/CR).

                The event is located in Niagara County, New York, about thirty miles northeast of Buffalo.  The site is at the Town of Newfane Historical Society, located at the corner of Ide Road and West Creek Road, approximately one-half mile directly west of the village of Newfane.  Newfane is located on NY Route 78 about eight miles north of Lockport, N.Y.

                Uniform and equipment guidelines are:

                ·         Jacket: New York State jacket is preferred, but fatigue blouse or frock coat is also acceptable.

                ·         Caps: Forage cap is required for formal occasions; civilian hats and caps are allowed for camp life.  Forage caps may feature brass letters (H or K) and a blue lozenge corps badge (Third Corps, Third Division).

                ·         Shirts: Domet-flannel Federal-issue shirt is strongly preferred.  Civilian shirts and waistcoats are also acceptable.

                ·         Canteen: White cotton strap is preferred.

                ·         Waistbelt: US brass with leather keeper.  Brass keepers are strongly discouraged.

                ·         Scabbard: Seven-rivet pattern is preferred; two-rivet pattern is acceptable.

                ·         Shelter: Shelter halves are not required.

                ·         Baggage: Double-bag knapsacks are required for a potential Sunday inspection; if you do not have a knapsack, a blanket roll is also acceptable.

                ·         Coats and Blankets: Greatcoats are strongly preferred.  Bring period-correct gloves, mittens, and/or scarves.  This is western New York in February; it will be cold!  Consider bringing two period-correct Army blankets.  One appropriate civilian quilt per man is also acceptable as an item sent from home.  Canvas bed ticks are acceptable and encouraged; please bring a canvas tick if you own one.

                ·         Long Arms: 1853 Enfield or Springfield rifle musket.

                ·         Miscellaneous: The event portrays veteran troops during winter quarters.  As such, uniforms and gear should be relatively clean and in good condition.  Bring all other appropriate items: gum blanket, haversack, mess furniture, &c.  A second pair of period-correct heavy wool socks is MANDATORY! (your feet will get wet and cold).  This event represents troops in “garrison”, so bring writing materials (paper and ink—not pencils!), musical instruments, candles, soldier lanterns, period games, &c.

                ·         Ammunition: Bring 10 rounds of packaged ammunition.

                An accuracy inspection for all participants will be conducted on Friday evening.  Be on-site, in uniform, and ready to reenact by 7:00 p.m. on Friday.  The event will end by noon on Sunday.

                The event hosts provide cooked rations for Saturday breakfast, dinner, and supper, and Sunday breakfast.  Bring period-correct rations for Friday evening.  Bring plenty of coffee—it will be cold!  Firewood, water, and sanitary facilities will be provided.  Registration is by individuals and is through the event sponsors.  The registration fee is $12 and registration forms are available on the event website.  Register soon to reserve your bunk!

                If you haven’t made it to one of the past W64 events, don’t miss this one!

              • caleb horton
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
                  I heard he's got a subscription to the northern star.
                  Eh maybe if you send him out on patrol and he never
                  comes back you wont get so many emails. Im sure he'll
                  find some way to contact you, even if its through the
                  dead

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • rgrandchamp40@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 7, 2005
                    All,
                    I recieved a letter from that abolishinist fella, says he and his supernumerary pal went out west to join a Bully unit Co. Q, 200th Indiana under Lt. Klegg. I beleive he will not return.
                  • ttj1863@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 8, 2005
                      tom,

                       the dam albino Negro will surely have a accident while on patrol or be captured at least the supernumary is dense and rather get shot than be captured. also he is rather fast when the occasion calls for it. anyway I want that boxing match at W1864.  I'll will teach that damned abolitionist a lesson that we will soon not forget.

                      caleb horton <caleb5k@...> wrote:

                      Tom, you forgot to mention one other low. That damn
                      abolishionist in our company.

                      signed the "70's" re enactor

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/G0kwlB/TM

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    • Michael Jolin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 8, 2005
                        Tom and other Agents of Lucifer:

                        If that abolitionist is me that you are talking about then I welcome the bout. I can give as good as I can take in a donneybrook. If it's someone else, well, I'll be there to back up my fellow Christian against Satan's Messengers and no quarter will be given. Any man of God would know that in His Divine Providence, all men - Negro or otherwise - are created in His likeness.  Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice's sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:10.

                        I give you a short passage from a speech from William Garrison given in Charleston, SC, in April 14, 1865 (the day Lincoln was shot):

                        Abolitionism, what is it? Liberty. What is liberty? Abolitionism. What are they both? Politically, one is the Declaration of Independence; religiously, the other is the Golden Rule of our Savior. I am here in Charleston, South Carolina. She is smitten to the dust. She has been brought down from her pride of place. The chalice was put to her lips, and she has drunk it to the dregs. I have never been her enemy, nor the enemy of the South, and in the desire to save her from this great retribution demanded in the name of the living God that every fetter should be broken, and the oppressed set free.

                        I have not come here with reference to any flag but that of freedom. If your Union does not symbolize universal emancipation, it brings no Union for me. If your Constitution does not guarantee freedom for all, it is not a Constitution I can ascribe to. If your flag is stained by the blood of a brother held in bondage, I repudiate it in the name of God. I came here to witness the unfurling of a flag under which every human being is to be recognized as entitled to his freedom. Therefore, with a clear conscience, without any compromise of principles, I accepted the invitation of the Government of the United States to be present and witness the ceremonies that have taken place today.

                        And now let me give the sentiment which has been, and ever will be, the governing passion of my soul:

                        "Liberty for each, for all, and forever!"

                        So there.

                        Mike

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 8, 2005
                          spoons

                           don't worry, its not you, it is Mr Grandchamp.  at least I cam respect your beliefs. but the man in question is lack all sense of an moral back bone and surely not a true abolitionist. he makes such lofty statement's thought his action's to his so called fellow man, is the complete polar opposite. by exploiting them

                          caleb horton <caleb5k@...> wrote:

                          Tom, you forgot to mention one other low. That damn
                          abolishionist in our company.

                          signed the "70's" re enactor

                          __________________________________
                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/G0kwlB/TM

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          TaxidermyHobbyHobby and craft supply
                          Craft hobbyHobbies and crafts

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        • ttj1863@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
                            All,

                             we have to stop! this boob is having hissy fit over this, even thought he may have humored it. he is taking this personal. anyway he is a boo bird and no fun.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
                              Tom,

                              Are you calling me a boob? Please explain yourself.

                              Michael Jolin

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
                                Guys,
                                   I think there is a little miscommunication going on here.  The original crack about the "abolitionist" was directed at Rob Grandchamp.  We had some goofy first person at PF about him being a 2nd rate supporter of abolition.
                                    I believe that Tom R. is confusing Mike's posting with Rob's, and Mike thought that he was the subject of the abolitionist joke.
                                   Does that make sense....can't we all just get along?

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
                                    Im sorry, it was probably my fault. I just brought up
                                    our little abolitionist first person argument we had
                                    at paynes between me tom craig and bob. Thus the
                                    reference to the northern star, and the fact that Mr.
                                    Grandchamp so valiently defended his cause to defend
                                    the negro in combat. Even if he did say it was was all
                                    worth it to see our first seargent die.... Take care
                                    guys.

                                    caleb

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 10, 2005
                                        Governor Smith here in Rhode Island is offering commisions to young men of Rhode Island in the Fourteenth Colored Heavy Artillery in all grades to men of good background, ardened abolishnists, have served three months as a soldier in the ranks, and is willing to help advance their noble cause. One caveat, the Regiment is bound for Louisiana.  Any takers.