Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Marlboro

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2005
      Rob,
         Keeping your eyes peeled is always a good idea.  I remembered that the Millis, MA event is also in September, and they just recently announced their date.
         I won't be at the coordinators meeting as I'll be at the Payne's Farm event, as will some of the folks on this list.  I think we all should put our heads together to shape a workable "campaigner friendly" schedule for next season.

      "Pvt.R.C.Tarbox" <rob_6thnhvi@...> wrote:
      Tom et all,

      I will keep my eyes peeled as events shape up for next season. I look forward to seeing some of you at the coordinators meeting. Perhaps we can hash some of this out then.

      YHS
      R.C.Tarbox

      Tom Craig <tom-craig@...> wrote:
      Guys,
          While I am very sorry I missed the event, I am more than happy to hear that it went well!  1st time events are always dicey, especially something of this nature.  That Rob and Eric pulled it off is an excellent tribute to their hard work and dedication.  Hopefully next year will be even better.
          Rob, something to think about schedule wise, Recon IV is largely supposed to be taking place in September next year.  No date set, but many of the same folks who came to your event will be heading to that one.
          As Matt mentioned, it is never too early to start thinking about next season.  We had an excellent start at Borderlands, and a great event at Marlboro.  Let's build up some steam and make next season a great one for campaigners.  The NEB schedule will be shaped in the next month or so, but I already know of some good opportunites for us.  A few events to think of, but certainly not the only ones:
          June:  Torrington
          August: Ryegate
          September:  Marlboro Tactical (?), Milis
        I am sure there will be more potential events.  If you know of something or think of something that could be good share it here and post it up!

      matt burbank <ltdan25th@...> wrote:
      I think that's a great Idea of already planning Campaign events for next year JVC would be great. We will definalty support this idea within the NEB .

      Your Obedient Servant
      Colonel Matthew Burbank
      Twenty-fifth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Company H
      New England Brigade

      Yahoo! for Good

      Yahoo! for Good

    • Matt Reardon
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005

        Hi all,

            I have a concern probably mostly pertaining to my small group for the upcoming season.  We realized at Borderlands that we might have a problem going to New England events with us falling in with the Liberty Greys.  Our problem is with insurance.  They almost didn't let us participate in the event because we didn't have any insurance.

               Now my question is, is there a larger group within the New England campaigners that will allow us to join their group so we may have insurance?  I do not want anything to do with any of the Liberty Greys units, due to our treatment by them at Borderlands.  We were actually mocked at by them, accusing of us of showing them up actually looking like soldiers.  I know, Heaven forbid we look like real soldiers.  We were also hassled by the command staff.

             So if there is any unit that wouldn't mind having two more guys around, let me know.  I'd still like to keep our own identity, I just hate running into these problems which I'm sure the 'stremers will continue to send at us.  It doen't matter if they are US or CS.  I have been wanting to do a Federal impression but have not had the money being in college to start buying Federal gear.  I only do CS right now.  So if any one can help us out or point us in the right direction, please let me know.

        Thank you,

        Matt Reardon

        The River Rat Mess

        Co. K, 38th North Carolina Troops

        Yahoo! for Good
      • Frank and Karen Lilley
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2005

          Mat hang in there you are doing a great job. Bill Watson runs a campaigner group for orphan campaigners (Company I Potomac Legion). Despite my membership in 28th K, I also joined his group $12. They only do federal right now but he may let you join them do it and just claim you are galvanizing when you go as a confederate. He is also a good source for finding an umbrealla group. Another suggestion is the Liberty Rifles they do both federal and confederate great guys but they only do events in VA and MD. If you join either of these groups you will have insurance that is recognized anywhere.

          I’m not surprised by your reception by the LGs. They do have some good people there but well I can’t say more publically.

          If you guys are prevented from joining the LGs because of your excellent impression that’s a badge of honor. Also some of the VT boys do confederate allot they may have a way you could join them (Tyler Goodrich I think-Green Mountain Boys?)

          Frank Lilley

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2005
            Matt,
               As some of the other guys here have mentioned the simplest route at this point would be to join one of the existing units that has insurance.  I believe also that the LHA has insurance that can be purchased.  The NRA also used to have some sort or insurance that was fairly cheap and could cover reenacting stuff.  I am far from an expert in the subject so others may know better.
               I think the bigger issue is the Confeds and their acceptance of "campaigners".  Todd and I went to the NEB meeting and openly explained who we were, and what we were up to.  We were well supported by some, but we were openly challenged by others...and I am a reasonably well know person in regional reenacting.  You were heading into an event with folks who didn't know you and didn't understand what you were up to.
                As I see it the choices are these: A) Make an effort to gain support and educate the leadership of the LG's.  If THEY are on board, the rank and file folks will follow.  B)  Say screw it and abandon local events until they can appreciate what you're doing.  Which means host your own stuff or travel south.  C) Give up the CS thing for local events and fall in with the Feds.  We have plenty of loaner gear and are always happy to have new friends.
               Obviously the choice is yours.  After the fun we had at B-lands I would hope that you would be game enough to stick to your guns and give it a try.  If you want to give me a call I'dd be happy to talk about it some more, and give you some more candid advice.

            Matt Reardon <carolinaboys1862@...> wrote:

[...]

          • paul manzi
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2005
              Tom-
              Good advice for Matt.  Having been a Confederate campaigner back in the late '70s/early 80's as part of the old UCV, I can tell all the CS guys that they should expect mainstream folks at a mainstream event, and all that goes with it.  They should also expect everything from guarded curiosity, to polite inquisitiveness, to open hostility.
                I spoke for some time with the CS commander at Borderlands, and came away feeling that from his viewpoint there's no real issue with us campaigner types at what they feel are "their" events. I'm sure that over time the mainstream folks will get used to us. It all happens in stages.  This was the ice breaker, and I saw what I expected to see.  At this point as one of the CS campaigner guys, I would urge Matt and the rest of the Confeds to stick to their guns, get to know the powers that be, and keep on being a CS Campaigner.  The authenticity level among campaigners in New England has been making strides the past several years, so lets all build on that.
                 You know Tom, way back when, we were doing EBUFU events out in New Braintree, Ma., which put me in mind of the Vermont event you guys just had.  We had period ration issues, complete kit inspection to make sure the standards were met in every detail, and went out into the fields and woods for two days, with a just a basic scenario and whatever we could carry on our backs.  That was the old 5th NH, and the old 2nd SC/34th Va. We didn't know we were hardcorps, we were just having fun being as authentic as possible.
                So I say to Matt and the rest of the campaigners in New England, lets stay with this and make campaigning a piece of the New England reenacting culture!

              Regards,
              Paul Manzo
              Shocker Mess
              Co. E 2nd Va.

              Yahoo! for Good
            • Matt Reardon
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2005

                Hi all,

                    My intention is not to give up, it's just solving some problems to make next year better and a little easier. I'm really new to organizing, Borderlands was my first time ever in command.  There is bound to be mistakes.  It's just the insurance issue they threw at me.  I had no idea what to do because it seemed they told me at the last second.    I have and will continue to try to work with the Liberty Greys, to the best of my ability.  I just think it surprised them to see me in charge of anything, especially guys from my old group.  It will take time, but I am committed to making Confederate campaigners work in New England.  I also have to learn my drill better because as the guys who were with me already know, my knowledge is not the best.

                  Thank you Frank, Tom, Todd, Paul and anyone else who helped me with my question.

                Matt Reardon

                Yahoo! for Good
              • Todd M. Bryda
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11, 2006
                  Gentleman,
                  I would like to encourage you to get your registrations in as soon
                  as possible to Rob. Last year was one of the best experiences that I
                  ever had in the field, and I know that this year will be even better.
                  Many of the veterans from last year are still talking about the night-
                  time death march. Don't miss out.

                  Todd M. Bryda
                  Commanding, Union forces