Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Boarderlands 2005

  • Matt Reardon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 27, 2005

      Hi all,

          I've been wanting to write something in regards to the Borderlands event but haven't had much time, I was having some troubles at work.

         First of all I wanted to thank all my Confederate pards who went out that night.  We did very well for our first time together.  Next time we'll do better and won't be caught.

          Second of all, I'd like to thank the Federals for letting us come out and challenge their picket line.  Even though arriving on the scene with a plan of what to do, the terrain occupied by you changed my whole outlook and we had to develop a plan in which we could cause some trouble but not alert you to our position.  I thought the natural depression we were camped in could have hid our small fire but unfortuately it didnt.  This weekend was the first time I actually felt like a real soldier.  The fear in you guys being so close and us being able to hear you guys change the guard and call the corporal of the guard was a really cool experience.  I actually for most of the night that I was up, I was afraid that you guys would jump out of the woods and get us.  Next time you guys won't be so lucky in capturing us.  Again I'd like to thank Todd and Tom and all you Yanks for letting us come out and join you guys on the outpost.  I hope we can all go out and do this again real soon.

      Yours very respectfully,

      Matthew Reardon

      2nd Lt.

      3rd N. Carolina State Troops

      Cmmnding the Late Detachment

      P.S. I'll also be writing an AAR to come out sometime in the near future.

      Yahoo! Sports
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 27, 2005
        Matt,
           IT's good to hear from you.  I am glad that you didn't waste away in Elmira prison after all!
        You guys did a great job, and it was your presence that really made the Saturday night picket scenario.  You kept the guys jumping, and made a short night of the whole experience.
           Your capture was no mark against you.  You guys are new at what you were trying to do, and your thought about the depression was a decent one.  You were dealing with some folks with experience and who also had the numerical advantage.  Frankly your probing of our picket line kept us on the defensive, and allowed you to make the most of your much smaller force.  It was only when I took over the command at 1:30 AM that we had free time to look for you, and that's around when I took my walk that uncovered you.
            I have to say rushing your camp was a neat experience, and an authentic one at that.  The job you guys did as prisoners was great too.
           Keep in touch and I am sure there will be more events to come!
        lately 1st Sgt, Union Guards

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2005

           Hdqtrs. Detachment of the 3rd Regiment of North Carolina State Troops
                   June 29, 1863

          Colonel: I have the honor to herewith to submit to you a report of the operations of my command on the night of June 17th and early morning of June 18th:

          My detachment set out for our assigned position for outpost duty at around 19:00 on Saturday the 17th.  We marched to a position about 2 miles from our main camp and first took up a position on a high rocky hill overlooking the road.  We were met here with a scout who alerted to us that we were very close to the Federal position.  We started to set up guards but soon realized we would not be able to recon the Federal position.  So we moved to another position opposite the side of the road in a natural depression.  The terrain of the second location was both ideal to conceal ourselves from the Federal camp which was around a quarter mile from our position but also provided a better vantage point in which we were able to observe them.
             My first instructions were to send out a volunteer to see how close we could get to the Federal position and see if we could figure out there strength.  I sent out Private Juan Otero to do this.  He soon came back with information of a very strong Federal force probably numbering a force which outnumbered my small force of about 4 to 1 and quite possibly 5 to 1.  Upon returning I went out with Private Otero to observe the situation for myself.  We could not get as close to the lines as Private Otero did for when we were crawling in the high grass as the field to the right of my position had we soon realized that the Federals had moved closer to our own lines that previously known.  We both returned to our base camp and began putting pieces of information together in attempt to as what we should do next.  I concluded that we should stay right where we were but be prepared to move on a moments notice.  I also concluded that any movements closer to the Federal line would be disastrous and result in capture.
           At around 19:30 we were surprised by the appearance of Federal riders galloping at high speed on our left.  I now knew that the Federal command was in command of the road and in good communication with their respective headquarters.  I felt after seeing these rider any movement upon their lines they could bring up reinforcements which would make the odds even more unfavorable for us.
           I took the first watch of the night which lasted from around 22:00 until 23:00. I observed nothing but  a patrol which moved down the road on out left.  At around 24:00 myself and Private Jonathan Chan went down to the road to investigate an increased Federal troop movement which was occurring.  At approximately 24:15 we noticed a small contingent of Federal troops move by and recognized officers amongst them.  We decided that they were probably on grand rounds and would return very shortly.  While waiting for the contingent to return Private Chan and I were met with two men, one being our scout again along with another private, who’s name escapes me.  We posted those two men on the side of the road opposite to us and myself and Private Chan along the other  in attempt to surprise the Federals on their march back.  The Federal did return sometime after 24:35 but with a much larger guard than anticipated.  We neglected to try to overwhelm them and held our position.
           After the Federal contingent marched away we returned to our camp but the scout and the other private apparently returned to our main camp.  When we returned to our main position. Myself and Private Chan stayed awake discussing personal things and about a possible approach closer to the Federal line.  The plan to approach the Federal line any closer was discarded.  At approximately 2:00 we heard another Federal patrol to the left and to the front of us.  We heard one of them shout, “Attention Company!”.  We quickly got in position to resist an apparent movement towards our position but soon realized it was just a hoax.  Silence mixed with a few occasional noises of possible Federal movements were noticed by myself to the front and also increased activity on my right.  We huddled down behind our breastworks which consisted of an already fallen tree.  We had two fallen trees and a stonewall, then a natural depression in the center which we used to our advantage in hiding ourselves many times during the night.
           At around 4:25 Sunday morning I had just awoken and was relieving Private Chan at watch when I notice several dark shadows on our right.  I called out, “Halt, who goes there?”.  It was answered by about eight, yelling Federal soldiers who charged our position with fixed bayonets.  I at once ordered the men to fall back but since two of our four men had taken ill during the night were fast asleep it was difficult to order my whole command to fall back and upon trying to run backwards and the difficultness of the terrain and also noticing that the Federals had surrounded us, threw up my arms in surrender and handed my sword over to the Federal commander.  We were ordered by them to pick up our gear and go with them.  We were marched back to their camp and placed under guard along a road.  We were given water but my men had their weapons taken away from them.  Upon sitting on the road for about an hour I was taken by one of the Federal soldiers and questioned.  Who I was, what unit I belonged to were amongst the questions I was asked.  We remained along the road for about three hours until we were marched under guard in the rear of the Federal column.  We were at first moved to Federal headquarters where we were positioned until exchanged at around 10:00.

          My special thanks to all of my detachment who acted most bravely during extreme situations.  Privates Chan, Wallace and Otero shall always be held in high regards by myself for the services they provided this night.

          I am, colonel, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

          M.E.A. Reardon,

          Second Lieutenant.

          Detachment

          3rd Regiment North Carolina State Troops

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • paul manzi

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 8, 2005

              Hi,                                                                                                                                              My mess is in the process of planning a Living History in cooperation with the New England Civil War Museum in Rockville, CT.  The possible scenario we were thinking about would include a detachment of Confederate soldiers who have returned home to recruit more men for their company.  It would be an excellant opportunity to recruit more campaign style reenactors and possibly raise some money for preservation.  I already have a place in mind where we could hold it.  Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions toward this?  Let me know as I am planning a trip down to the museum on Sunday.     Matt Reardon, River Rat Mess

            • Frank and Karen Lilley
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 8, 2005

                Matt when are thinking of doing this?

                Frank Lilley

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 8, 2005

                  Ditto Frank (Hiram Walker)....when would this be???

                  (As a 3rd N.C fella, we could boost the ranks....)

                  Pete Bedrossian

                  150th NY/3rd N.C.T.

                  -------------- Original message from Matt Reardon <carolinaboys1862@...>: --------------

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 10, 2005
                    Frank, Peter and all,

                    We're shooting for at the earliest sometime this fall or next spring at the latest.  I thought the museum was open today but I found out they switched to a different schedule for the summer. I'll post more info as soon as I get some more.

                    Thanks for your interest,
                    Matt Reardon
                    River Rat Mess

                    ltpete@... wrote:

[...]

                  • theodore urbanski
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 11, 2005
                      Hi Frank

                      I live ten miles from Rockville anything I can do help  let me know.
                      Ted Urbanski  4th TN Cav.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 11, 2005
                        Matt

                         Ilve ten miles from the Rockville Site and can stop by as  I can do by work. So if there is anything I can do to help let me know. Spring would be good for me.

                        Ted Urbanski
                        4th TN Cav.

                        Frank,y on my  Peter and all,

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 11, 2005

                          Hi all,

                           Is anyone going down to the Summer of '62 event that maybe I could carpool with?

                          Thanks in advance,

                          Matt Reardon

                          River Rat Mess

                          Do you Yahoo!?
                        • Frank and Karen Lilley
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 11, 2005

                            Mat I’m going plus a couple of others email me

                            Frank Lilley

                            Lilley22@...