Bull Run event

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hey All,
         I have been in contact with the orgainizers for the Return to Manassas PL adjunct.  I inquired about what we'd need to form a company of our own, and if there were still spots available.
         They would love to have us fill the vacant spot in the battalion.  In order to have our own company we would need to field between 25-35 guys.  That's a tall order, but I am sure that it can be done if we put the effort into it.  I know we've gotten about 8-9 guys who have said they are interested...is there enough to field a company?  Please chime in if you are on board, interested, or at least willing to consider it.
         To be realistic I think we need to establish a deadline to determine if it is plausible to move forward with our own company.  To that end, if you're interested make it known by January 10th.
      DISCLAIMER!!!  I am not acting in any official capacity of any sort at this point.  If there is someone with a burning desire to organize this, by all means step forward!  I am simply trying to guage interest and get the ball rolling.  I will willingly support anyone who has a burning desire to be a point person on this effort.

      Happy New Year!
      Tom Craig

    • Bob Firth
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
        Tom, I'm interested.  I have this event already pencilled in.  Be nice if we got the numbers, but I'm pessimistic.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
          I'm in.

          Tim Kindred

          To: NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com
          From: tom.craig@...
          Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:28:26 -0800

[...]

        • Frank and Karen Lilley
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
            I will try to do it physical limitations not withstanding, do not want to take the point just want to be a grunt

            Frank Lilley

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
              Happy New Year to all,
                 All you ruffians and shirkers ought to be over your New Year's hangovers by this point, so I want to refresh your memories on the Bull Run adjunct.  So far we have the following folks who have expressed interest (names are listed in no particular order):
              Tom Craig
              Frank Lilley
              Tom Gengras
              Bob Firth
              Tim Kindred
              Dave Worsham
              Marc Avrill
              Rob Granchamp
              Mark McCormick

                 So there is 9, and I know of at least two other characters who will go, but just haven't chimed in anywhere.  We need 25 signed up for our own company and we're almost halfway there.  What do you think guys...can we do it?

              P.S.   In case you'd like some more detail, here is the message I got from Joe Bordonaro (one of the adjunct organizers):

              We do have an open company if you and your New England pards want to join the party. We're looking to field 25-30 man companies.  We would like the number of NCOs to be proportional to the number of troops, of course. With a 30 man company you'd probably want a captain, a first lieutenant, an orderly sergeant, a second sergeant, four corporals, and 22 privates. Although the event itself will not be an immersive event we are going to try and make our portion of it as immersive as possible. We'll be portraying one unit all weekend and will be participating in only two of the four battle scenarios. We will be doing a little marching, but nothing very strenuous or very long. We will be moving our campsite which will limit the amount of stuff that our guys will be able to bring with them. If there is any other information I can supply, please let me know. I'll send you an invitation to the 26th New York YahooGroup website I've set up for the event. We have some research posted there and will be adding more as time goes by. Bill Birney and Joe Caridi are the main guys for this adjunct. I'm basically just a front man to make people think a responsible older guy is involved in the planning :) Of course, since you know me you'll know that I'm not that responsible, but I am indisputably older :) Anyway, it's good to hear from you and I hope that your New England pards rally around the 26th New York flag for the occasion!
                       - Joe

            • Will Tatum

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Hey Will,
                     Good to hear from you!  Yes, the event is August 27-29th.  Caleb was one of those miscreants that I was counting on coming but hadn't heard from yet, but I will happily add his and your names to the list.
                     That's 11 folks who have expressed interest.  Let me know by Sunday the 10th if you're interested so we can make a call on whether to proceed with this merry experiment.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Tom et al,
                         What about the 5th NH guys? Surely there is a way to rally more New Englanders to the colours, even if we have to portray some New York Regt. Wish we could represent old Rhode Island...has there ever been a quality event with an RI focus?

                    Will

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
                      Tom,

                      After a very inactive 2009, both myself and my son are very interested.

                      Mark & Matt Boynton

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
                        All right now we are talking! I like where this is going. Someone posted earlier that they were going to possibly bring this event up at the 5th NH unit meeting. Not sure if I read that right or not. I am going to send out a couple more emails today to drum up some more guys. We can add Ryan Mcyntre to that list ( and I think Johnny Lolyd
                        said he was done too. Bob am I right on that one?)

                        Frank glad to see you returning to the colors. Maybe we can hike up the mountain again for training.

                        Tom Gingras

                        --- In NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com, "Boynton Family" <mboynton1@...> wrote:

                        > Tom,
                        >
                        > After a very inactive 2009, both myself and my son are very interested.
                        >
                        > Mark & Matt Boynton
                        >
                        > Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from U.S. Cellular

                      • tom Rousseau
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
                          Will

                             I don't think there has ever been a effort to portray a Rhode Island unit properly at quality event which kills me.  since almost all or my ancestors that fought in the war,  served in the 2nd RI Infantry.
                          also Tom you can count me in for the company for 2nd Bull Run its about time for me to brush the dust off my Civil War kit.

                                                                                                              Tom Rousseau