A Call to touch the Elbow

  • rostranor
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 18, 2009
      Gentlemen,
      The Potomac Legion and the Columbia Rifles are working on putting together a unit for the Second Bull Run event this upcoming year, which I believe is 6-8 August. This will be part of the Chris Anders event and lobbying has allowed them to portray a specific unit for the whole event as opposed to changing hats throughout the event like we did at Gettysburg. The unit being portrayed is going to be the 26th New York. This is shaping up to be a pretty good event of promise with both a march and a rations issue. I would like to see if there is any interest among the New England boys to make a regional name for ourselves and try to get our own group together for this event. Whether it be a squad, platoon, company, or even a mess any effort from the solid Union men of New England will be a great addition to the event and perpetuate our interest in improving the New England region of the hobby. Units are now forming so dont hold back, answer the call to arms.

      tom gingras
    • Doug Ozelius
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 18, 2009
        FYI -  Doug
        _____________
        The scenarios for next year's Return to Manassas ( August 27-29, 2010) will be:

        Thoroughfare Gap- reenactors only
        Brawner's Farm- public
        Morning Assualt on the RR Cut- reenactors only
        Chinn Ridge- Public

        If you have been to a WMHF event, you know what to expect. Planning on 2,000 participants, with force ratios enforced, highly detailed unit specific scenarios, and history being first, last and foremost.

        There will be a military only camp, a Civilian only area, and a Camp of Convenience for those who wish to camp with their families.

        All published rules will be enforced, as per our SOP, and as reenactors we will work long and hard to produce another memorable event.

        It has been a long time since there has been an event based on the 2nd Manassas Campaign, and we welcome your support.

        Kevin Air will be returning as the Commander of the Federal forces, and they States Rights Forces will be lead by your's truely. My apologies to those who don the gray!

        The event is being held on the Hope's Campaign site ( near Hershey PA), and all proceeds go to Britney's Hope, a non profit charity for special needs children.

        Look for a web site and more information shortly!

        Pards,
        __________________
        S. Chris Anders
        Southern Division
        http://www.southerndivision.org/

[...]

      • Michael Jolin
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 18, 2009
          If it doesn't conflict with a Guardl weekend, I plan on going.  Wouldn't mind doing it New England style... (and no, that wasn't a reference to Pat the Patriot getting arrested in that prostitution sting!)

          Mike Jolin

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 18, 2009
            Hey All,
               Aside from the fact that Mike has just signed on to this gig, I think that it could be fun!  There are absolutely enough of "us" here in New England to put together a company (20-25 guys) for this thing.  The event is an Ander's event, which means that it will be a well scripted mainstream event, but the PL is working pretty hard to get something worthwhile together for this.  They are looking to raise 4 companies, they've got two spoken for, let's make a New England company the 3, and of course the best!
               Who's in?!
            Merry Christmas,
            Tom

[...]

          • Caleb Horton
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 18, 2009
              I have a 2nd Rhode Island impression burning in my closet. It needs to be worn! Seriously guys it's a blue flannel overshirt with tan or gray trousers. It's the easiest impression to put together. Also, check out Elisha Hunt Rhodes diary; he describes the 2nd RIV's action during the battle in great detail. If not Rhode Island, let's try to put some kind of New England impression together, we're New Englanders, not New Yorkers! The same old worn out impressions get done at these anders gigs, lets do something different.

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 18, 2009
                hahaha Second Second Bull Run! Man I need to stop smoking!

[...]

              • Shane Kindred
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 19, 2009

                   Sounds like fun. Sign me up!

                    Tim Kindred

                • Frank and Karen Lilley
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 19, 2009
                    Interested last PL 2nd BL with the late Charles Heth at rations was the first event I went to where I gained weight. and the last event I went to.

                    In honor of Charles I'm interested and not in shape

                    Frank Lilley

                  • rgrandchamp40@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 20, 2009
                      I'm in, will bring this up to the 5th NH at our meeting in a few weeks, might have some more Yankee boys up north. 2nd Mana is a good time era that is really not covered in the books, between the Peninsula and the Maryland Campaign. I certainly would not have wanted to be in the ranks of the 82nd Ohio getting rocks thrown in my face by Starke's Georgians.

                      Best,

                      Rob Grandchamp
                      5th NH Vols.

[...]

                    • Bob Firth
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
                        It's all about the numbers.  I'm sure we can do any impression (accurate of course) that want as long as we have the numbers and it fits into the overall scanario of the organizers.  But we also need to think about supporting the CRs effort in this, which unless we get some really big numbers, is what we should do.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
                          Oh yeah, that's right second bull run, battle shirts would look a bit silly.  Never mind.....

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
                            Not sure how much support you'll get for a supporting effort of the CRs.  It's a case of reaping what you sow and the past president sowed a lot of ill will among many here in New England (not to mention throughout the hobby).  His untimely death and the current acting president's renewed efforts at bringing people back together notwithstanding, it'll probably be a while before people get past the damage that was done.

                            That being said, I've been a CR for several years and continue to be one.  I haven't done much with the group lately (more b/c of my recent marriage and military commitments than my issues with Charles) but hope to do more this year.  Perhaps a combined effort (versus one supporting the other) might be more appropriate if the numbers thing works.  We'll see.

                            I wish everyone a happy holidays and Merry Christmas!  See y'all in the New Year!

                            Mike Jolin
                            Columbia Rifles and Other Assorted Messes

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
                              Hey All,
                                 This Bull Run adjunct is NOT a CR directed affair.  It is a PL production, although more than that it is a product of three guys, two of which happen to be in the CR.  The idea was initally pitched by Joe Bordonaro who was last year's PL president.  He is still the lead on this, and is assisted by CR's Bill Birney and Joe Caridi.  If you look at the AC thread on this, the CR name is no where on it, and in fact there is a PL company committed thus far, but not one from the CR alone.
                                 Just want to be clear for those who know, want to know, or care, that this is a PL thing.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
                                Hey all,

                                I've been meaning to make a return to the scene.  I'd love to do 2d Bull Run but it looks like right now, I'll be getting ready to start student teaching.  So I probably won't be able to go.

                                Can I suggest something though?  Maybe at one local event this year. Instead of trying to get two sides organized (US and CS), gather all New England campaigners into one unit. I think it would accomplish two things.  One it'll show strong campaigner numbers.  If we can get 20-30 guys, I think it'll look great. And two it'll give a chance to build some good solid cohesion between us New Englanders.  Better cohesion equals enjoyment.  Enjoyment equals the wanting to participate more.

                                And I'll even offer to do US. To those who know me, know that this is a big deal.  Matt Reardon doing US. haha

                                Just a thought,

                                Matt Reardon
                                River Rat Mess
                                Co. G, 8th CVI

                                P.S. Starke's brigade was from Louisiana not Georgia.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
                                  I'll second that....Matt doing US is something you'd have to take a picture of as you might not see it again in this lifetime....

                                  I live down in NC now but still keep in touch via email (well, have been trying to)...I'll also second Matt's suggestion, it would make more sense (for enjoyment and campaigner strength) to organize one company of either US or CS versus one of each.

                                  My .02...

                                  Happy Holidays,
                                  Robin

                                  To: NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
                                    Matt,
                                       I do like, and agree with your suggestion about getting everyone together on one side, in one impression for a local event.  I think it would be pretty cool to have everyone in one company for the weekend all working together.  I am certainly baised towards Federal, but I also think that more of the guys in this area have Fed kit than have CS, and I know that several who have CS also have Fed stuff.
                                       For discussion sake, here is a link to the NEB schedule of events for the coming season:

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
                                      Well,

                                        I am game for either. I'm a cross-dresser, so either impression is fine by me.

                                      To: NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: tom.craig@...
                                      Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:50:57 -0800

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
                                        Gentlemen,
                                        glad to see this has gained some traction. i thought i had fired in the dark until i realized that i had my yahoo groups settings all confused. Anyway...

                                        Matt, Tom Craig had some great success in putting together the "Union Guard" for Borderlands a couple of years back which was a campaigner elements much like you speak of. I would be love to get that going again as that was pretty much the inception of this yahoo group.

                                        Also, Other Tom is right that this is a Potomac Legion event. Their Campaigner effort has been granted permission to portray one regiment for the entire event, pending sufficient numbers, as opposed to swapping out hats and what not during the event. That and the ration issue and marching is what is drawing me to this element of the event.
                                        I would really like to see two efforts accomplished for our confederation. Putting together a regional effort for Bull Run, and like Matt said, getting the Union Guard effort up again this year.
                                        So far I am tracking eight people interested in this event.

                                        --- In NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com, Shane Kindred <Gwedd@...> wrote:

                                        > Well,
                                        >

                                        > I am game for either. I'm a cross-dresser, so either impression is fine by me.
                                        >
                                        > To: NewEnglandCampaigners@yahoogroups.com
                                        > From: tom.craig@...
                                        > Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:50:57 -0800
                                        > Subject: Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] A Call to touch the Elbow

                                        > Matt,
                                        > I do like, and agree with your suggestion about getting everyone together on one side, in one impression for a local event. I think it would be pretty cool to have everyone in one company for the weekend all working together. I am certainly baised towards Federal, but I also think that more of the guys in this area have Fed kit than have CS, and I know that several who have CS also have Fed stuff.
                                        > For discussion sake, here is a link to the NEB schedule of events for the coming season:
                                        > http://www.newenglandcivilwarevents.com/2010-Schedule.html
                                        >
                                        > Take care,
                                        > Tom

                                      • Dave none
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 23, 2009
                                          While I can't commit to August just yet, count me down as very interested.

                                          I also think it would be great to get a good sized campaigner company at a local gig up here. Maybe we can work with some event organizers and plan some scenarios of our own to draw further interest or at least make things a little different for ourselves.

                                          Merry Christmas,
                                          David Worsham

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 27, 2009
                                              Hey All,
                                                 I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas festivities!

                                              Mark: Yes the object of this talk about the Bull Run event would be to put together a company of guys from New England to fall in with the PL campaigner adjunct for the event.  The PL is looking to pull together 4 companies, and they have two spots filled up.  A New England company could be the 3rd on to fill the breach.  We're up to 9 or 10 guys who say they are interested...who else is on board?

                                              Everyone else:  A few of you have expressed interest in renewing our local campaigner adjunct effort in some way.  As one of the parents of the original concept, I'm all for it.  Here is a link to the NE events that I am aware of this season: http://www.newenglandcivilwarevents.com/2010-Schedule.html
                                                  There are a few events on the list, but I don't really know anything about any of them in terms of the appropriateness of our participation.  I will do some digging and see what I can find out.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 28, 2009
                                                Tom Craig wrote:

                                                There are a few events on the list, but I don't really know anything about any of them in terms of the appropriateness of our participation.  I will do some digging and see what I can find out.
                                                Gentlemen,

                                                 For what it is worth, I'd suggest the Rutland and/or Winchendon event.

                                                Doug

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 28, 2009

                                                  What I can offer up for input & information on Tom’s message would be to knock Ft Knox off the list of ones for an adjunct.  While a beautiful site, there just may not be enough room for a separate campaign camp(s).  The fort itself is a great place to see and I have been there to several (small, very mainstream) events during the past.  The event coincides with the Bucksport Bay Festival and lots of other distractions.  Though less than 2 hours away from home for me, I will skip this one myself.

                                                  Though not on the NE Events schedule yet, Norlands will be happening again June 12 & 13.  Things went pretty good for a first time event this year.  Plenty of opportunities to interact with the public, lots of woods for a tactical or two – it’ll be interesting to see what develops as this year the Norlands staff is allowing artillery and cavalry from what I understand.

                                                  Rutland & Winchendon are on my personal radar as local events that fall right for my schedule this year.

                                                  Marc