Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Re: Charles Heath

  • William Hallett
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28 4:59 AM

      Thanks for informing me about Charles Heath.

      I barely knew him. Back in the late ‘90s I met him on the AOL Civil War chatroom. We had some heated debates and one that comes to mind was about weight. I mentioned that most reenactors are too fat. My side was that any soldier slightly heavy at the war’s start would trim down after marching a few hundred miles. He stated that there were fat people then, such as Butler , Halleck, etc. I pointed out they were officers and didn’t march. But as Douglas MacArthur said, “if we’re thinking alike, then some of us aren’t thinking.”

      I think it was the summer of 2001, I finally met him in person at the Harrisburg museum as we were among a group doing a living history. I saw him again in September 2003 for the Antietam event (145th) as he was caring for a horse we spoke briefly.

      Bill Hallett

      Pres.

      CWRT of New Hampshire

      www.cwrt-nh.org

      From: Tom Craig <tom.craig@ymail. com>
      Subject: [NewEnglandCampaign ers] Re: Charles Heath
      To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 8:05 AM

      For those who didn't know Charles personally, he occasionally posted on this list, typically about events around the country.

      His services will be this Friday in MD, details can be found on the AC forum.  His widow has requested donations to the CWPT in his name in lieu of flowers.

      From: Marc Averill <cbce@roadrunner. com>
      To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 5:17 AM

      Josh - How much blood did you have to show to get out of Drill?

      From: Tom Backus <the_backus@yahoo. com>
      To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 7:57 PM

      3rd Arkansas will be there with about 8-9 people.

      Tom Backus