OSV Militia Day

  • rgrandchamp40@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2009
      Anyone on this list doing OSV Militia Day?

      Respectfully,

      Robt. Grandchamp
      Graduate Student
      Dept. of History
      Rhode Island College
    • Bob Firth
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2009
        Rob,

        Tom Gingras and I have been talking with some folks at OSV about doing a LH there.  As you know, the site is awesome and has so many possibilities.  We were talking about doing a recruiting scenario at a New England village circa 1864.  It would be something quite different, with most of the participants in civilian attire, and a few offficers and soldiers detailed as the recruiting party.  Politicians making patriotic speeches, etc. would make it a really great event.  Of course OSV makes it's money by being open to the public so it would by no means be an immersion event.

        With that said, the response by OSV has been lukewarm at best.  In the recent past they have done military timeline LHs, with no real authenticity standards.  They don't appear to be staging any of those, and have fallen back to New England militia circa 1840 for their military demonstrations.  They have said they would be interested in a CW period LH at some point in the future.

        If anyone out there has better contacts at OSV maybe they could generate a bit more interest than Tom and I have to date.  I'm going to try again soon and see if OSV may want to set up something for late summer, if it can be deconflicted with already planned events.

        We'd love to host a quality LH up here in New England that would draw some of the guys from south of the border.  I'll post this on the CR website also, if nothing else than to poll interest in a future recruiting LH up here.

        Tom, if you are not already somewhere in the Hindu Kush, you can chime in.  Your contact at OSV was better than the one I communicated with.

        But to answer your immediate question, no I was not planning to attend the militia day, however I'm going to look into it now and see if it's a possibility.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2009
          I see some chatter about events and thought I'd throw some into the mix for consideration. Here are some that may be worth considering and/or ones that I'm going to in case anyone wants to carpool:

          June 12-14
          "Day of Days" WWII tactical event, Stonington, CT
          Not Civil War but... The battle will take place on about a 200 acre site with a road network and varied terrain. Don't know much about this event but it's close and some guys from the Odessa gang that I fall in with may be going! Anyone know more or definitely going, let me know.
          June 27-28
          RI National Guard Air Show http://www.riairshow.org/index.html
          NOT a reenactment so don't come dress up in funny-looking wool clothes but it's an awesome display of American (and Canadian) might. The USN Blue Angels will be here as well as the Canadian Snowbirds. The best of the best. Come hear the sound of freedom! One of the best air shows in the country. I went last year right after I got back from airborne school at Ft. Benning and had fun walking through the C-130 on display and talking to the crew about how I've taken off in one of these planes 5 times but never landed in one!

          July 17-19
          Genesee Country Village, Mumford, NY (near Rochester, NY)
          Finally, a Civil War one! I'll be going for sure. The deadline for registering is in mid-June and needs to be sent to my unit's POC in the ways of registration yesteryear (if you don't mind falling in with us, of course). It's a great site (www.gcv.org) and a good group of guys. It's decidedly mainstream but a fun, no stress event in great surroundings. Anyone is more than welcome to hitch a ride with me if interested.

          Aug 14-16
          A New England Brigade event in Woodbury, CT
          I wouldn't mind going to this one if we can muster up a group and coordinate with the organizers.

          Sept. 11-13
          This is the same weekend as the big WWII event in Odessa, NY and my National Guard drill weekend. If I can make up the drill weekend, I'll be at Odessa but thought I'd mention it since it's less than 5 miles from my house and abuts my golf club (fore!).

          Oct. 16-18
          Cedar Creek 145th Anniversary, Middletown, VA http://www.cedarcreekbattlefield.org/
          Always a fun event, also decidedly mainstream. Just ignore the power plant across the street. It's usually got the numbers and plenty of vendors (funnel cake!). I'm running a marathon for the first time in my fat life in D.C. the next weekend so I'm not sure if I can squeeze this one in but haven't done it in a while. My "other" unit goes to this one so I'll have a place to fall in. I'll give a shout out closer to the date to see if anyone is up for it.

          Nov. 13-15
          Bummers Event, Molena, GA http://www.bummers09.com/
          Holy hardcore, Batman! Now that's more like it. Barring unforseen circumstances I'll be falling with Barfin' Bill Backus and others. Should be a good one.

          Give me a shout if you are going, might go, etc., to one, some or all of these...

          Hooah!

          Mike Jolin
          "Time to Wear Something Other Than ACUs" Mess

          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2009
            Bob,

            I know the OSV CEO very well from my nonprofit work here in RI but haven't talked to him in a couple of years since he took the position. Perhaps we can talk to see who you've spoken with thus far and I'll see if I can get a hold of him.

            Mike Jolin
            Cell: 401-787-1076

            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2009
              That would help a lot. As you are aware, it's all about "who you know", and it doesn't get much better than the CEO.  The guy I communicated with was the events coordinator.  That was about over a year ago.  Tom Gingras had a better contact, but I don't have his name.  We will have to get with Tom on that.

              Any help would be appreciated. I would recommend that we get our concept fleshed out a bit more with some harder info, then maybe we can have a sit down with your contact and make our pitch, stressing what we can offer to OSV as a LH exhibit.  I think we can pull it off with at least 20 participants, limiting participation to the CPH side will help us with quality control.

              Tom, do you have the name of the POC you talked with?