RE: [NewEnglandCampaigners] Borderlands 2009

  • Bryan Stefancyk
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 14, 2008
      Ok. I think the point of doing a mid-war 63 ANV impression is to get some #s here. Nothing sucks more than going to an event and having like a 6 man of less group of guys doing the "hardcore" thing. You really cannot do anything substantial and it gets old fast with small numbers. We all have a ton of events we are all planning for this coming season that we have to make or buy stuff for. Why make people who do not have a western or another kit for that matter make or buy one for a low impact, not that great mainstream event? An RDII or a civilian jacket is something everyone has, or should have.

      Heck, I have a ton of CS impressions I never get to use. I would really like to wear my MO Bushwhacker kit!

      Anyways I would like to see a good 15-20 man CS company if possible. Really show the New England community what we are about. Also people take an ANV impression for granted... a good ANV kit is something we should all be able to do especially mid war considering how many events revolve around that impression. Lets concentrate on getting guys in properly cut and constructed clothing and gear. All too often people do not do the research and just buy stuff from "Approved Vendors," then when you start looking at originals and making this stuff on your own you realize alot of the stuff on the market is just not made correctly.

      Sorry for the rant and if I sound harsh... Just trying to put things in perspective. I would like to see a concertive effort to get a large number of guys with good kits out for this one as a CS Company.
      As Caleb said lets do some really cool stuff thats not really done at events. I will try and think of some stuff I would like to try. Lets start thinking outside the box here. I am up for a food issue. I would like to see people acting like they are really in a war where people are dying, the fear on guys faces, reacting to being shot at, and maintaining our respected sides and not hanging out with the US guys until the event is over, etc... All to often we tend to get caught up in what impression we should do, when it really should be about the experience to try and step into the shoes of these guys.

      So I say keep it simple, get the numbers, work on improving or updating your existing ANV kits and make this a great event.

      I do not do ACW really anymore in favor of other periods I find more challenging (do not get me wrong I love ACW history, but I do not find ACW reenacting rewarding anymore - I'm kinda jaded), but I am looking forward to putting my kit on and taking part in this if it is going to be worth it and more than a handful of guys.

      Bryan

      From: Shane Kindred <Gwedd@Hotmail. com>
      To: "newengland campaigners" <newenglandcampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 11:55 AM

      There's also that whole Texas Brigade thing available as well.

      But yeah, I understand the desire for the occasional western theatre as well. It'd be nice to see some Hardee pattern flags from time to time.

      The one item I would encourage is a civilian sack coat of some pattern.  No matter the year or the theatre, it's an acceptable choice sans documentation for a specific unit.

      I'm trying to square time for Borderlands. It looks doable. the fly in the ointment being me finding a new baby sitter for the kid.  Other than that, I'm good to go.

         Tim Kindred

      To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
      From: albemarle@gmail. com
      Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:59:20 -0500

      ANV would be much cooler if people invested in North Carolina Depot jackets and other items of Tarheelian extraction.

      Will

      then why do we always have to do ANV all the time. is it because people are lacking westurn theter uniforms. im not picking, just wondering.

        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 14, 2008
          true, i guess i understand, you're right you can get more numbers with ANV. but i was just throwing it out there.

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 14, 2008

             Bryan has a good point. We've never really been able to organize the Confederate campaigners into it's own separate company. It's always been pretty piecemeal and we are usually forced to be amalgamated into another company, due to lack of numbers. I think our main concern should be trying to build a good foundation first. We need to get enough interest and guys on the field to be independent and establish an identity. As it is the Confederate main streamers can't stand us. They also think they have the power to stop us from doing our own thing since there is so few of us. If we show up with a  big enough core of guys however. They're going to have to think twice, and they're desperate for numbers for their big shoot em' ups as it is. So they'll probably think twice before saying anything.

             On that note why not start off easy and slow by doing a mid war ANV impression. It is the most accessible impression for most people, and our galvanizing federal friends as well. This way we've at least built a foundation for ourselves. Perhaps if we get an appropriate showing for Borderlands we can start organizing a western impression for future events?

          • tom rosser
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 14, 2008
              --- On Sun, 12/14/08, Will Tatum <albemarle@...> wrote:

              "Come to Into the Piney Woods. That will put your Western uniform to good use! Or Bummers, for that matter."

              Will,

              Or Death March XII in 2010 along the steep hills and wide bottomland in the vicinity of "Lookout Creek" on the NY/PA border.

              For those interested in that sort of thing, and the upcoming opportunity to corduroy a road in 2009, please feel free to join the listserver at this url:

              Personally, I'm looking forward to field testing a potential site for the DM XIII event for 2011, which features among other things a nice 60-mile long mostly dirt road. Hard marching every day!

              Charles
            • Michael Jolin
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 14, 2008
                Without taking anything away from the valid points raised by some of the earlier posts, I think Bryan hit the nail on the head with his thoughtful response. And the reason lies with why I suspect most of us are engaged in this hobby of ours: to get a greater sense of what it was like for those who went before us, something that can't be attained by books alone. To do this, we employ many devices to help us get there, such as the wearing and using the correct gear, engaging in first person, knowing how to bivouack, participating in period activities, eating what they ate, going into battle with proper distances between us and them, drilling per the manual, etc. But just as important, I think, is feeling like you are actually part of an army. Recreating this aspect necessarily requires a chain of command, enforced discpline, and, yes, live bodies to stand shoulder to shoulder with.

                As anyone who has served can tell you, there's a special feeling being part of something bigger than yourself. Indeed, I doubt that I'm alone when I say that there was something special about marching in a line of thousands at my first huge mainstream event. It's a special feeling. Now, I recognize that smaller, regional events like Borderlands will never be able to deliver the numbers that one of the "national" events can but there's something to be said for having enough soldiers to field an honest to goodness army unit. If that means choosing an impression that will get us there, let's do what we have to do. And then let's make it as close to how "they" did it as we can. To put it another way, it may be a case of a half a loaf (i.e., more guys with generic kits) being better than no loaf at all (little to no participation with a more specialized impression).

                Just some food for thought...

                Mike Jolin
                "Back from the ROK" Mess

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 19, 2008
                  Tom,

                  We haven't been to Mumford NY in a few years, and this may be the year to go return. The CRs have gone in gray a number of times, and with Tim's blessing we'll go blue for the first time this July.  I like the Genny Country Village, but doing the same event year after year does get old. If this sounds interesting to anyone, the standing invite is there.

                  One of the events we attended instead of Mumford was a little thing in Liberty NY  in the Catskills. I do believe you were there the year we freshened up Chuck Young's earthworks, reset headlogs, scooped out rifle pits, and laid out an impressive array of thorny locust abatis. That red shale was darned hard.  As a carpe eventum, that was a lot of fun, cheap in terms of resources expended, and the White Star Saloon's variety of period vices was great fun. Who knew Dane Utter was a loan shark?  Poor Lanky Pete got beat at Faro time and time again.

                  Our 2009 schedule is starting to firm up nicely, but can you give a run down on Woodbury, Chase Farm, Brick House, and Winchedon in terms of size, acreage, bleeding-eyes factor, etc.? We will probably be looking for something light again for one of the warmer months, and that may be just the thing to recalibrate the meter.
                  Thanks,

                  Charles

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 20, 2008
                    Hey Charles,
                       Thanks for spreading the good word.  I went to Genny a couple of times and had fun there.  It is a nice setting for an event, even if it is something of a farb fest...I bet you can still get free Genny beer there too!
                       You ask for a run down on the New England events, and I will describe them in a lump for you.  In terms of "bleeding eye" factor, they are all similar to what you see at Liberty.  I haven't been to the site, but all accounts say that the Winchendon event site is quite large, and well suited to fun and reindeer games of all sorts.  The Woodbury event was very popular among the local streamer folks, but in the name of full disclosure, it was held on a soccer field the last time, and I would imagine this time will be the same.  The Chase Farm event has a pretty site, but it is pretty much an open field in an area just off a highway north of Providence.  The Brickhouse event I can't speak to as I have never been there, and all I know about it is that there is a long standing judged tactical.
                       Happy Holidays!

                  • rgrandchamp40@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 20, 2008
                      Y'all,

                      Chase has been a great sight in the past to do some stuff, but no campaigners ever show up. Does anyone know what happened to the Ft. Wagner/Hammonasset Beach event, or did the Piping Plovers win there as well

                      Respectfully,

                      R. Sheldon Grandchamp
                      Cmdg, Co. H, 7th RI Vols.
                      Kentish Guards

                    • Caleb Horton
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 21, 2008
                         Actually we've pulled off some successful stuff at Borderlands in the past. The Federal Campaigners have had good turn outs at Borderlands. I think there is enough interest this year to get a Confederate C/P/H whatever label you want to call it, thing together as well.

                         There hasn't been an event at  Hammonasset since i was fifteen. Not sure what blend of marijuana you've been smoking bobby boy.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 21, 2008
                          Sorry i miss read your post, you were talking about Chase farm, I apologize. Chase Farm
                          isn't bad, but trying to find a place to park is terrible. There is'n't much land to play with either, and not a whole lot of reenactors show up for it period.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 22, 2008
                            dont mean to break the conversation but would anyone be interested in a charly childs RD2 size 46. let me know

                          • moefreeloe@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 23, 2008
                              Very interested! Send me an e-mail with the details....Regards,Randy