Re: [NewEnglandCampaigners] New England Bummers Forage Company

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
          Okay, on first blush it seems already that sentiment is divided on these two events.  I can say that I will not be at IPW...I could take the time off, but frankly if I am going to take a week off and go to LA, I am going to spend that time sight seeing with my family rather than tramping around the woods with some dudes.  I have no doubt that it will be an excellent event, and were it closer to home I would consider it, but as it stands it is too rich for my blood.
         That said, I can certainly see where if you could only do one, that you would chose IPW.  I think the Bummer's event has the potential to be cool.  However, despite some of the hype that surrounds the event on the AC forum, there really is precious little info out there as to how the event will go, or what will make it worth the hype.
         I think it is fair to take a good look at both gigs as they both require a solid commitment of time and travel.  Can we expect a large NE grouping at either?  Not so likely, but we can pool those who can/will go and get a good solid showing at at least one of the events.

      From: Will Tatum <albemarle@gmail. com>
      To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 9:03 PM

      I dunno, Tom, I think Into the Piney Woods will be cooler. Bummers should be an interesting one, though.

      Best,
      Will

      On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Tom Craig <tom.craig@ymail. com> wrote:
      Guys,
         This event appears to be the event of the year.  It is still a year away, and it is all the way down in Georgia, but it seems like the place where all the "cool kids" are planning to be.  If you can make it down to GA next November, sign on up for Bill's foraging party.  We'll be pretending to be Hoosier's, but we can just tell people that folks from NE Indiana have an accent similar to that of New England!

      From: Bill Backus <wbackus1864@ yahoo.com>
      To: NewEnglandCampaigne rs@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 12:32 AM

      Boys,

      Registration for BUmmers is now officially open! Again I'm organizing a New England
      platoon, but if you want an independent unit, get them registrations in and sign up for Bill
      Backus's party!

      Questions are welcome!

      See you in Georgia!
      Bill Backus

    • Michael Jolin
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
        Tom,

        I am choosing Bummers over Into the Piney Woods for many of the same reasons that you so brilliantly articulated. I understand your concern over the hype but I can only tell you that Cornett/Tipton's other event - Rich Mountain - was one of the best that I ever attended. RM was hyped to death too but for me at least, it measured up to expectations and then some. Indeed it was on the way home from this gig that I was forced to go from 80 mph to 0 mph in order to allow one of our comrades an opportunity to puke on the side of the interstate in West Virginia. (Good times, eh Bill?)

        Mike