The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational Achievement - Redux

  • Richard Hake
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2013
      ABSTRACT: Among the 263 Comments (as of 4 March 2013 15:27-0800) on
      Diane Ravitch's (2013) blog entry "Why I Cannot Support the Common
      Core Standards" at <http://bit.ly/XGpEpK> was one by "Penny" who
      wrote on 3 March 2013: ''We know that poorer (lower socioeconomic)
      students tend to do poorer in school. How about looking at the true
      root cause."

      To look at the "true root cause" see, e.g., the poverty-related
      references from my *complete* post "The Contentious Common Core
      Controversy" [Hake 2013)] at <http://bit.ly/Y7ocMv>:

      1. "Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors and School
      Success"[Berliner (2009)] at <http://bit.ly/fqiCUA>;

      2. "Eight problems with Common Core Standards" [Brady (2012)] at
      <http://wapo.st/15Z4kTg>;

      3. "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational
      Achievement" [Hake (2011)] at <http://bit.ly/tUU65W>;

      4. "For Obama's New Term, Start Here" [Kristof (2013) at
      <http://nyti.ms/WnEhU2>;

      5. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in Mathematics" [Marder
      (2012)] at <http://bit.ly/KPitWM> (scroll down);

      6. "Giving Our Children a Fighting Chance; Poverty, Literacy, and the
      Development of Information Capital" [Neuman & Celano (2012)] at
      <http://bit.ly/ZVCsil>.

      Among the 263 Comments (as of 4 March 2013 14:48-0800) on Diane
      Ravitch's (2013) blog entry "Why I Cannot Support the Common Core
      Standards" at <http://bit.ly/XGpEpK> was one by "Penny" who wrote on
      3 March 2013: ''We know that poorer (lower socioeconomic) students
      tend to do poorer in school. How about looking at the true root
      cause."

      To look at the "true root cause" see, e.g., the poverty-related
      references preceded by an asterisk * in the REFERENCE list below.
      These are from my *complete* post "The Contentious Common Core
      Controversy" [Hake 2013)] at <http://bit.ly/Y7ocMv>.

      Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
      Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
      Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
      Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
      GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
      Google Scholar <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>
      Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
      Facebook: <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>

      "So much orchestrated attention is being showered on the Common Core
      Standards, the main reason for poor student performance is being
      ignored - a level of childhood poverty the consequences of which no
      amount of schooling can effectively counter."
      - Marion Brady (2012) at <http://wapo.st/15Z4kTg>.

      REFERENCES [All URLs shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 04
      March 2013.]
      *Berliner, D.C. 2009. "Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors
      and School Success." Education and Public Interest Center (Univ. of
      Colorado) and Education Policy Research Unit, (Arizona State
      University); online as a 729 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/fqiCUA>. In his
      abstract Berliner states: "This brief details six Out of School
      Factors (OSFs) common among the poor that significantly affect the
      health and learning opportunities of children, and accordingly limit
      what schools can accomplish *on their own*: (1) low birth-weight and
      non-genetic prenatal influences on children; (2) inadequate medical,
      dental, and vision care, often a result of inadequate or no medical
      insurance; (3) food insecurity; (4) environmental pollutants; (5)
      family relations and family stress; and (6) neighborhood
      characteristics. These OSFs are related to a host of poverty-induced
      physical, sociological, and psychological problems that children
      often bring to school, ranging from neurological damage and attention
      disorders to excessive absenteeism, linguistic underdevelopment, and
      oppositional behavior."

      *Brady, M. 2012. "Eight problems with Common Core Standards," in
      Valerie Strauss' "Answer Sheet," Washington Post, 21 August; online
      at <http://wapo.st/15Z4kTg>. Note especially Brady's crucial problem
      #4: "So much orchestrated attention is being showered on the Common
      Core Standards, the main reason for poor student performance is being
      ignored-a level of childhood poverty the consequences of which no
      amount of schooling can effectively counter" - see e.g., Berliner
      (2009), Duncan & Murnane (2011), Kristof (2013), Marder (2012),
      Neuman & Celano (2012), and my 14 blog entries on the overriding
      influence of poverty on children's educational achievement at
      <http://bit.ly/UW8Xpg>, especially "The Overriding Influence of
      Poverty on Children's Educational Achievement" [Hake (2011)].

      *Hake, R.R. 2011. "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's
      Educational Achievement" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at
      <http://bit.ly/tUU65W>. Post of 14 Dec 2011 09:56:02 -0800 to AERA-L
      and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being
      transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog
      "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/tBZEY4> with a provision for
      comments.

      Hake, R.R. 2013. "The Contentious Common Core Controversy," online on
      the OPEN! AERA-H archives at
      <http://bit.ly/Y7ocMv>. Post of 3 Mar 2013 11:01:22 to AERA-H and
      Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being
      transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog
      "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/Z7TV0W> with a provision for
      comments.

      *Kristof, N.D. 2013. "For Obama's New Term, Start Here." New York
      Times OP-ED, 23 Jan, online at <http://nyti.ms/WnEhU2>. Kristof
      wrote: "Something is profoundly wrong when we can point to
      2-year-olds in this country and make a plausible bet about their
      long-term outcomes - not based on their brains and capabilities, but
      on their ZIP codes. President Obama spoke movingly in his second
      Inaugural Address of making equality a practice as well as a
      principle. So, Mr. President, how about using your second term to
      tackle this most fundamental inequality?"

      *Marder, M. 2012. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in
      Mathematics," Journal of Scholarship and Practice 9(1): 8-25; the
      entire issue is online as a 2.7 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/KPitWM>,
      scroll down to page 8. Marder wrote: "The collection of nationwide
      data do point to a primary cause of school failure, but it is
      poverty, not teacher quality. As the concentration of low-income
      children increases in a school, the challenges to teachers and
      administrators increase so that ultimately the educational quality of
      the school suffers. Challenges include students moving from one
      school to another within the school year, frequency of illness, lack
      of stable supportive homes with quiet places to study, concentration
      of students who are angry or disobedient, probability of students
      disappearing from school altogether, and difficulty of attracting and
      retaining strong teachers. Most people who see the connection between
      poverty and educational outcomes are confident that low-income
      students in a sufficiently supportive environment will learn as much
      in a school year as students in well-off communities."

      *Neuman, S.B. & D.C. Celano. 2012. "Giving Our Children a Fighting
      Chance; Poverty, Literacy, and the Development of Information
      Capital," Teachers College Press, publisher's information at
      <http://bit.ly/ZVCsil>. Amazon.com information at
      <http://amzn.to/VVml0G>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature.
      The publisher states: "This is a compelling, eye-opening portrait of
      two communities in Philadelphia with drastically different economic
      resources. Over the course of their 10-year investigation, the
      authors of this important new work came to understand that this
      disparity between affluence and poverty has created a *knowledge gap*
      - far more important than mere achievement scores - with serious
      implications for students' economic prosperity and social mobility.
      At the heart of this knowledge gap is the limited ability of students
      from poor communities to develop *information capital.* This moving
      book takes you into the communities in question to meet the students
      and their families, and by doing so provides powerful insights into
      the role that literacy can play in giving low-income students a
      fighting chance."

      Ravitch, D. 2013. "Why I Cannot Support the Common Core Standards,"
      Diane Ravitch's blog 26 Feb., online at <http://bit.ly/XGpEpK>.