* Blogs take on the mainstream *

  • George Lessard
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2004
      * Blogs take on the mainstream *
      Blogs have shifted the balance of information online, argue experts,
      and they are here to stay.
      Full story:
      <http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/2/hi/technology/4086337.stm>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/2/hi/technology/4086337.stm

      It seems unlikely that we will end up living in a planet where every
      human is a blogger.

      We are entering one era in which the technological infrastructure is
      creating a different context for how we tell our stories and how we
      communicate with each other
      Andrew Nachison, Director, Media Center
      But the current number of blogs is likely to keep on growing, in a
      web already overloaded with information.

      Blog analysis firm Technorati estimates the number of blogs in
      existence, the so-called blogosphere, has already exceeded five
      million, and is growing at exponential levels.

      Tools such as Google's Blogger, MovableType and the recently launched
      beta version of MSN Spaces are making it easier to run a blog.

      US research think-tank Pew Internet & American Life says a blog is
      created every 5.8 seconds, although less than 40% of the total are
      updated at least once every two months.