[netgold] Spying on Journalists, Not Cricket for Bush Administration to Do That

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009
      Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 22:39:34 -0500
      From: Dwight Hines <dwighthines@...>
      To: netgold@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [netgold] Spying on Journalists,
      Not cricket for Bush Administration to do that

      QUICKLINK U.S. � January 22, 2009 � Reporter's privilege

      Ex-NSA analyst: Agency spied on news organizations
      <http://www.rcfp.org/newsitems/index.php?i=9912>

      A former National Security Agency analyst told MSNBC's Keith
      Olbermann Wednesday night that the Bush Administration targeted and
      eavesdropped on the conversations of American journalists.

      Russell Tice, one of the sources who revealed the secret NSA
      warrantless wiretapping program to The New York Times in 2005, gave
      harrowing details about the NSA's wiretapping program in an interview
      less than 24 hours after President George Bush left office.

      He told Olbermann that the NSA collected all communications from
      various U.S. groups, many of which had nothing to do with terrorism:

      Tice: Now, what I was finding out, though, is that the collection on
      those organizations was 24/7, and you know, 365 days a year, and it
      made no sense. And that's -- I started to investigate that. That's
      about the time when they came after me, to fire me. But an
      organization that was collected on were U.S. news organizations and
      reporters and journalists.

      Olbermann: To what purpose? I mean, is there a file somewhere full of
      every e-mail sent by all the reporters at the "New York Times?" Is
      there a recording somewhere of every conversation I had with my
      little nephew in upstate New York? Is it like that?

      Tice: If it was involved in this specific avenue of collection, it
      would be everything. Yes. It would be everything.

      When Bush defended the secret wiretapping program after it became
      public a little more than three years ago, he said that only
      international communications were monitored as a way to collect
      terrorism intelligence. But Tice said that was not true.

      <snip>

      Samantha Fredrickson, 3:48 pm

      Dwight Hines
      <dwighthines@...>