LIBRARY: SERVICES : MARKETING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS: Branding Library Services: Some Selected Soup Starter Sources

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006
      LIBRARY: SERVICES :
      MARKETING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS:
      Branding Library Services: Some Selected Soup Starter Sources

      WEBBIB0607

      These are a few sources that focus on the why and how of marketing and
      making relevant publics or market segments aware of the services and
      resources of various types of libraries.

      The Library Brand
      By Roy Tennant January 15, 2006
      Library Journal
      <http://libraryjournal.com/article/CA6298452.html>

      It's likely that few professionals worry more about how their services are
      perceived than librarians. Lawyers may have more reason for concern, but
      many of them laugh all the way to the bank. We have little if not our
      reputation. So the new report published by OCLC, Perceptions of Libraries
      and Information Resources, deserves notice.

      OCLC commissioned Harris Interactive, Inc. to survey Internet users
      worldwide. The responses, gathered online, represent a significant portion
      of our user communities. The surveyasking such questions as, How are
      libraries perceived by today's information consumer? Do libraries still
      matter? On what level? Will library use likely increase or
      decrease?generated heartwarming comments but also much to cause concern.

      Strategies for Planning and Promoting Library Services to New Users
      By Deborah H. Charbonneau, Carrie Croatt-Moore, and La Ventra
      Ellis-Danquah, Wayne State University Library System (contact information)
      Presented at Symposium for Academic Librarians 2004 at Eastern Michigan
      University, Friday, April 30, 2004.
      MLA Forum Volume III Issue 2 July 14, 2004
      <http://www.mlaforum.org/volumeIII/issue2/conf2.html>

      A team of academic librarians is using a set of common strategies
      assessment, advocacy and advertisement - to develop and enhance health
      information services and programs to an urban campus community and beyond.
      As a means of meeting the challenge of disseminating and promoting a large
      number of new information resources and skills to current library patrons
      and to new user populations, these strategies inform a refocused program
      for on-site library instruction, a current health information outreach
      initiative and planning for a new health outreach initiative.

      Branding 101: What It Takes to Build a Library Brand
      <http://www.oclc.org/capcon/training/courses/descriptions/M211.htm>

      This is an OCLC Course Description

      Building a Brand: Got Librarian?
      By Cynthia L. Shamel
      Searcher
      Vol. 10. No. 7
      SLIS Summary
      Indiana University
      <http://www.slis.indiana.edu/news/story.php?story_id=584>

      Information professionals are not on the radar screen of Harvard Business
      Review as it relates to knowledge management. Presumably those who read
      HBR publications could be in a position to hire an information
      professional. Why do we not make ourselves known to these people? How can
      the Harvard Business Review write a book on knowledge management and not
      include the role of librarians? We need to do a better job of getting
      someone listening to our tune besides the choir.

      Why does the business literature not address the value of business
      librarians? According to Anne Mintz, librarian at Forbes, the role of an
      organization's librarian does not represent a story. Business magazines
      might publish stories on companies doing business in the information
      industry, but not on the information professional. If we had numbers or
      could quantify the value and give examples, then we might have a story.
      Whatever the reason, the result is that those in a position to employ
      librarians are not reading much in their professional literature about a
      librarian's value; rather, the literature discusses decreases in our
      value.

      Business literature does not communicate the value of librarians and
      information management skills. Business schools do not teach the value of
      librarians and information managers along with the role of technology. Why
      do some businesses have libraries while others do not?

      Beyond the Newsletter: Leveraging Technology to Market the Library
      American Bar Association

      Law firm libraries and information centers need to practice aggresive
      internal marketing in order to make attorneys aware of the full scope of
      available services. Harnassing technology can help put this endeavor on
      the fast track. Creating "brand", logos and slogans, and marketing plans
      are discussed. This article first appeared in Legal Information Alert
      Volume 21, No. 9 October 2002.

      by Catherine Sanders Reach
      <http://www.abanet.org/tech/ltrc/publications/beyondnewsletter.html>

      Law firm librarians have long been aware of the importance of marketing
      the library, often using subtle and unobtrusive methods to get the
      attention of the firm attorneys. In the twenty-first century people are
      bombarded with advertisement and marketing in every facet of their lives.
      Companies are taking advantage of a myriad of communication vehicles to
      get their message across to the public. Law firms are just beginning to
      discover ways to market their services, an activity that has only recently
      become an acceptable practice. Libraries too must market their services.

      Recent data from the marketing research consulting company Yankelovich
      shows that users want value, content, personalization, and commitment from
      companies and products.

      Oxford University Library Services : How to Deliver Portal Functionality
      in a Box
      <http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix/news/oxford-university-library-
      services--how-to-deliver-portal-functionality-in-a-box>

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      <http://snipurl.com/u9yo>

      As Ruth Bird, Bodleian Law Librarian, and member of the Senior Management
      Group of OULS with responsibility for the OULS web site, explains: With
      libraries working independently to produce their portals, a number of
      problems were arising. Most notably, the look and feel of each site was
      different, and this lack of consistency was leading to inefficiencies from
      a user perspective. Essentially, we were making it harder than it needed
      to be for users to access their resources.

      From a technical standpoint, support issues were also growing, and, as the
      people responsible for helping the library network, this was unsustainable
      for SERS. My web site planning team has only one dedicated IT support
      person, and his ability to cover all the bases was compromised. There
      were simply not enough hours in the day and skills within the team to
      manage such a disparate group of sites!

      "What we really needed was control. We wanted to simplify the process of
      publishing and maintaining each portal within the network. We wanted to
      manage the entire network of sites within one central system, and to
      provide each of the libraries with a standard portal in a box that was
      easy to publish and easy for my team to support.

      WOLLONGONG CITY LIBRARY
      Strategic Plan 2004-2008 - New Directions
      A source of enrichment and inspiration
      <http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/library/strategic_plan.html>

      The NEW Directions statement for the Wollongong City Library sets a clear
      and exciting five year direction for the enhancement and enrichment of the
      Service.

      Wollongong's population continues to grow and currently 60% of our local
      community use our Library Service. In partnership with the community and
      within the context of Council's goals, NEW Directions will take the
      Library Service to a contemporary level that assists in building a strong
      and vibrant community.

      We will continue to provide a people friendly service within a stimulating
      environment, with access to informational resources, recreational spaces,
      and to real and virtual services via:

      An inviting and safe community space
      Improved access to all our products and services.
      New technologies and technology access centres
      Personalised and remote access to online services.
      We will meet the needs of our community's different age and cultural
      groups with a variety of resources in relevant formats.

      We have identified four key strategic areas. These will assist with our
      ongoing community focus, goal setting, key activities and resource
      utilization during 2004-2008.

      Identify Your Brand, Before You Market
      Information Outlook, Vol. 6, no. 11, November 2002
      Special Library Association
      <http://www.sla.org/content/Shop/
      Information/infoonline/2002/nov02/identbrand.cfm>

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      <http://snipurl.com/ua0q>

      If librarians hope to stay in business (and I think we do), it is in our
      best interest to examine our brands and ourselves so we know what we're
      marketing before we market. Many librarians are astute marketers. We have
      planned, developed, and used a wide range of marketing media. To add
      impact to our marketing, whether we are new or experienced marketers, it
      is paramount that we understand our brand. We need to know who buys our
      brand and why. Whom do we compete with and what value does our brand offer
      against the competition? What does our brand stand for and why should
      people believe in it? When you know the answers to these questions, your
      marketing message can be more powerful, more meaningful, and more
      customer-focused.

      During my 18-year career with a major consumer products company, I learned
      that to sell a product successfully you need three thingsquality
      ingredients, a good brand-driven marketing strategy, and luck. Creating a
      brand-driven marketing strategy involves understanding your brand and the
      customers who buy it.

      Volume 20, Number 3 May/June 2006
      Marketing Library Services
      A "How-To" Marketing Tool Written Specifically for Librarians!

      Library Marketing-Thinking Outside the Book
      Resources, readings, news and ideas for librarians who seek
      outside-the-book marketing innovations for their libraries.
      <http://librarymarketing.blogspot.com/
      2005_04_01_librarymarketing_archive.html>

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      <http://snipurl.com/ua1c>

      Public Relations
      How do you want the library to be seen in relation to the community?
      <http://www.olc.org/marketing/4pr.htm>

      Electronic Journal of Academic and Special Librarianship
      v.6 no.1-2 (Summer 2005)
      Papa's Got A Brand New (Virtual) Bag:
      Real-Time Chat and Reference Discourse
      Darren Chase
      <http://southernlibrarianship.icaap.org/content/v06n01/chase_d01.htm>

      We Cannot See Them, But They are There: Marketing Library Services to
      Distance Learners
      Page Range: 41 - 50
      DOI: 10.1300/J192v02n01_04
      Copyright Year: 2005
      Contributors: Melinda Dermody MA, MLIS, Assistant Professor, St. Cloud
      State University, St. Cloud, MN, 56301
      Journal of Library & Information Services in Distance Learning
      Volume: 2 Issue: 1
      ISSN: 1533-290X Pub Date: 3/30/2005

      Branding for libraries: communicating your value to increase reader
      awareness and usage of the library service.
      Kenneway, Melinda
      Serials
      July 2006 v. 19 no. 2 p. 120-126

      4th IFLA International Marketing Award for 2006.
      Library Times International
      April 2006 v. 22 no. 4 p. 34

      Selling yourself the Essex Libraries way.
      Public Library Journal
      Spring 2006 v. 21 no. 1 p. 2-4

      Branding, books and libraries
      Pors, Niels Ole.
      Scandinavian Public Library Quarterly
      2006 no. 1 p. 14-15

      Making the invisible visible: bringing e-resources to a wide audience
      Cole, Louise
      Serials
      March 2006 v. 19 no. 1 p. 37-41

      Forging The Library's Future In Our Electronic World.
      Lorbeer, Elizabeth R.
      Against the Grain
      February 2006 v. 18 no. 1 p. 58

      Affordable, Effective, and Realistic Marketing.
      Verostek, Jane M.
      College and Undergraduate Libraries
      2005 v. 12 no. 1/2 p. 119-138

      Creating an Effective Marketing Campaign.
      Armstrong, Annette
      ILA Reporter
      June 2005 v. 23 no. 3 p. 14-15

      Marketing Matters!: 1. Six Electronic Branding Opportunities.
      One-Person Library
      May 2005 v. 22 no. 1 p. 5-6

      Branding in the United Kingdom public library service.
      Hood, David; Henderson, Kay
      New Library World
      2005 v. 106 no. 2 p. 16-28

      A Practical Approach to Marketing the School Library.
      Burkman, Amy.
      Library Media Connection
      November / December 2004 v. 23 no. 3 p. 42-43

      What in a Brand? The Art Library and the Changing Academy
      Wallach, Ruth
      Art Documentation: Bulletin of the Art Libraries Society of North America
      Fall 2004 v. 23 no. 2 p. 33-35

      Target Your Brand.
      Dempsey, Beth
      Library Journal
      8/15/2004 v. 129 no. 13 p. 32-35

      Image Analysis of Mysore University Library: A Study.
      Nikam, Khaiser; Mamatha, M.
      SRELS Journal of Information Management
      June 2004 v. 41 no. 2 p. 205-222

      Branding Helped To Promote Our Library And Its Technology
      Sejan Yun
      Computers in Libraries
      May2004 v. 24 no. 5 p. 18-23

      ALA Offers Tips on Creating Online Library Services.
      Computers in Libraries
      May 2004 v. 24 no. 5 p. 48

      Branding in library and information context: the role of marketing
      culture. Singh, Rajesh
      Information Services and Use
      2004 v. 24 no. 2 p. 93-98

      UK public libraries: roles in adult literacy provision.
      McLoughlin, Carla; Morris, Anne
      Journal of Librarianship and Information Science
      March 2004 v. 36 no. 1 p. 37-46

      Marketing of Library and Information Services: Building a New Discipline
      for Library and Information Science Education in Asia .
      Gupta, Dinesh K.;
      Malaysian Journal of Library and Information Science,
      v. 8 no. 2 December 2003 p. 95-108

      Why Branding Matters to WLA.
      Haras, Catherine Marley
      Alki
      December 2003 v. 19 no. 3 p. 19

      The Brand Promise.
      Olson, Chris
      Information Outlook
      October 2003 v. 7 no. 10 p. 41

      US associations try to spark library promotion.
      Dempsey, Kathy.
      Information World Review
      September 2003 no. 194

      Marketing and Promotion of Information Services in the University
      of Ibadan Library.
      Ekpenyong, Georgina Dien.
      Information Development
      September 2003 v. 19 no. 3 p. 197-202

      Introducing the Branding Initiative.
      Olson, Chris
      Information Outlook
      July 2003 v. 7 no. 7 p. 32

      What Is in a Name? Three Approaches to Branding
      for the Public Library.
      Mississippi Libraries
      Summer 2003 v. 67 no. 2 p. 33-37

      The Branding Process.
      Smith, Lynn
      Information Outlook
      April 2003 v. 7 no. 4 p. 5

      Branding: An Interview with a PR Pro.
      Information Outlook
      April 2003 v. 7 no. 4 p. 26

      Leadership Competencies in Library and Information Science:
      Marketing as a Component of LIS Curricula
      Winston, Mark; Ebeler Hazlin, Gretchen
      Journal of Education for Library and Information Science
      Spring 2003 v. 44 no. 2 p. 177-187

      Branding your library website
      Rowley J
      Library and Information Update
      2003 February v. 2 no. 2 p. 45

      Library branding for young adolescents: learning from
      Barbie and Mickey
      Holt, Glen
      The Bottom Line
      v. 16 no. 2 2003 p. 76-78

      WEBBIB0607

      Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll
      understand.
      - Confucius

      Asking the right questions takes as much skill as giving the right
      answers.
      - Robert Half

      The truth isn't the truth until people believe you, and they can't believe
      you if they don't know what you're saying, and they can't know what you're
      saying if they don't listen to you, and they won't listen to you if you're
      not interesting, and you won't be interesting unless you say things
      imaginatively, originally, freshly.
      - William Bernbach

      Never mistake legibility for communication.
      - David Carson

      The greatest problem in communication is the illusion that it has been
      accomplished.
      - George Bernard Shaw

      If you want to build a ship, then don't drum up men to gather wood, give
      orders, and divide the work. Rather, teach them to yearn for the far and
      endless sea.
      - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

      Most conversations are simply monologues delivered in the presence of a
      witness.
      - Margaret Miller

      When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
      - Henry Kaiser

      The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being
      said.
      - Peter F. Drucker

      The extent to which you are able to transform your self-concern into
      other-concern will determine your effectiveness in getting others to
      follow along.
      - Unknown

      Sincerely,
      David Dillard
      Temple University
      (215) 204 - 4584
      jwne@...
      Net-Gold
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold>
      <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
      General Internet & Print Resources
      <http://library.temple.edu/articles/subject_guides/general.jsp>
      <http://www.learningis4everyone.org/>
      <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
      Digital Divide Network
      <http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/jwne>
      Educator-Gold
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Educator-Gold/>

      <http://www.webdesign.org/img_articles/7449/Branding-in-Business.jpg>

      <http://www.energyguide.com/esu/branding%5CDefault%5Cimages%5Clib.gif>

      <http://www.neisd.net/read/branding/branding_300x300.gif>

      <http://www.parkerandpartners.com/work/images/library.jpg>

      <http://web2.lawrence.lib.ks.us/html/nlpllogo.jpg>

      <http://www.michiganmuseums.org/images/Just_Who_Museum_Logo.jpg>

      <http://www.library.napier.govt.nz/images/books_on_wheels.jpg>

      <http://www.zuji.com/Image_Library/
      Website_images/common/splash/370x219_branding.jpg>

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      <http://snipurl.com/uabs>

      <http://atoz.ebsco.com/images/CoBranding/3683.gif>

      <http://www.pjwg.co.nz/Assets/Portfolio/branding/cclib_sidegraphic.gif>

      <http://www.idlerphotography.com/
      Ranch-2005/Ranch_Images/RAbr-SWB04-D6865.jpg>

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      <http://snipurl.com/uac5>