The Website http://www.subways.net/ : Then and Now

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 5:28 AM
      TRANSPORTATION: PUBLIC URBAN AND PASSENGER: HISTORY :
      TRANSPORTATION: TROLLEY TRAIN SUBWAY LIGHT RAIL BUS CITY:
      The Website http://www.subways.net/ : Then and Now

      There is much of value that will hold the viewer's interest on the
      current
      www.subways.net website.

      The country List and Links page provides links to a large number of
      country
      coverages.

      Country List And Links
      http://www.subways.net/countries.html

      From the Great Britain page
      http://www.subways.net/uk/index.htm

      These links to content are provided.

      Great Britain

      Existing Systems

      Belfast
      Birkenhead
      Birmingham
      Blackpool
      Brighton
      Bristol
      Glasgow
      Hythe
      Isle of Man
      Isle of Wight
      Liverpool
      Leeds
      London
      Manchester
      Manx (Isle of Man)
      Newcastle On Tyne
      Nottingham
      Portsmouth
      Seaton
      Sheffield
      Southend

      Proposed Systems

      Bath
      Bournemouth
      Colchester
      Coventry
      Edinburgh
      Halton
      Hull
      Kent
      Leicester
      Lincolnshire
      York

      Other Links of Interest

      Trams Are Back On English Streets
      RailInfo's UK rail projects - well worth checking out
      Tramweb - Trams in the UK
      Tramfan.com - dedicated to trams in the UK
      InfoTransport - Planning Your Journey Throughout The UK

      The Weird From Subways.Net
      http://www.subways.net/railweird.htm

      Leads to these links to unusual content

      Unknown Subways –
      Abandonded systems, stations and secret subways

      Death underground - Choice subway accidents

      Funicular subways

      Say I'm Sorry For Ignoring You On Our Vacation Cuz I
      Was Busy Riding The Trains with a subways.net postcard

      I Hate Subways and Light Rail: The Railhaters Club

      Weird Links

      The Tram Motel: Controversy Tram Inn
      TRAMVIES DE GRATALLOPS - the tramway in the basement

      The Links page leads to a very substantial collection of resources

      Links
      http://www.subways.net/railinks.htm

      Arranged in these major sections

      Personal Rail Pages
      Links and Lists
      Industry Links
      Commercial Links (Videos and Books)

      Content Sample

      TrainWeb's Rail Related Web Sites

      Transportation information from Travel.Com Links to
      various transit authority sites

      Jane's Urban Transit List of international line mile ridership
      per mile for world LRT's and Metros

      Leif Spanberg's Tramway Links Good stuff, often something new

      Sergiy Pakhomov's transit maps from around the world Purely
      maps but very, very comprehensive

      IRA - Italian Railfans

      Kenji Hojo's Streetcar links Make a pot of coffee and send
      the Mrs. to Mom's for the night.

      Mark Kavanaugh's Trolley, Streetcar, Transit and Railroad links
      Some great museum, US, and Japanese photos and links

      Railserve's links Too many too list

      Tramscape's tramway links

      Links from Leif Spangberg's fine site

      Routes International's worldwide links to public transit agencies
      Quite a few links.

      Use of the Internet Archive, however, will lead to a great deal
      more content for this web resource that is not to be found on the
      current site it would appear.

      To access these photographs and content pages go to these
      two URLs

      http://web.archive.org/web/*/subways.net/*

      http://web.archive.org/web/20041012203430/http://www.subways.net/usa/U
      SA.htm

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      http://snipurl.com/pvv9

      The top Internet Archive leads to 279 screens of links like these:

      subways.net/
      ~6 pages between Oct 31, 2000 and Nov 28, 2002

      subways.net/Book2.gif
      ~2 pages between Sep 06, 2001 and Jun 16, 2002

      subways.net/Slovakia/PICT0004.jpg
      ~2 pages between Jan 11, 2002 and Mar 29, 2002

      subways.net/Slovakia/brat.jpg
      ~2 pages between Jan 11, 2002 and Mar 29, 2002

      subways.net/Slovakia/e104a05.jpg
      ~2 pages between Jan 11, 2002 and Mar 29, 2002

      subways.net/Slovakia/k2sgal2.jpg
      1 page from Jan 11, 2002

      subways.net/Slovakia/metro01t.gif
      ~2 pages between Jan 11, 2002 and Mar 29, 2002

      subways.net/Slovakia/sk.gif
      1 page from Jan 08, 2002

      subways.net/Slovakia/znak.jpg
      1 page from Mar 29, 2002

      subways.net/argentina/metrovialogo.gif
      1 page from Mar 29, 2002

      subways.net/doppelmayr/Image5.jpg
      ~2 pages between Nov 08, 2001 and Mar 15, 2002

      subways.net/doppelmayr/Image6.jpg
      1 page from Mar 15, 2002

      subways.net/doppelmayr/Image7.jpg
      ~2 pages between Nov 05, 2001 and Mar 16, 2002

      subways.net/egypt/Egypt.gif
      1 page from Mar 16, 2002

      subways.net/emailt.gif
      ~3 pages between May 18, 2000 and Mar 16, 2002

      subways.net/finland/Kontula.gif
      1 page from Nov 28, 2001

      subways.net/finland/Scan1017.jpg
      1 page from Nov 28, 2001

      subways.net/finland/Scan1017_small.jpg
      1 page from Nov 28, 2001

      subways.net/finland/Scan977.jpg
      1 page from Nov 28, 2001

      subways.net/finland/fi-flag1.gif
      1 page from Nov 28, 2001

      The second page leads to a United States page with
      links to content for each of the states with relevant content.

      Links for Pennsylvania for example include:

      Philadelphia

      Official Septa home page
      A few photos I took of the Norristown Line and the "new"
      SEPTA LRTs in the early 1980's
      Philadelphia Area Traction Fan's Page
      SEPTA: Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
      Sandy Smith's Home Page
      Stan Freidman's SEPTA photos
      The Schykill Valley Metro
      Joe Lance's SEPTA photos
      A Barrelfull of Pennsylvania Transit Links
      PATCO Home Page
      Philadelphia's Historic PCC's
      The Grade Crossing

      Pittsburgh

      Pittsburgh transit photos by a PAT worker (no name given)
      Port Authority Home Page
      Pittsburgh Gazette News - the closing of the Drake Line

      Sincerely,
      David Dillard
      Temple University
      (215) 204 - 4584