EDUCATION: COLLEGE: TEACHING AND TEACHERS : EDUCATION: COLLEGE: STUDENTS: I Feel, Therefore I Am

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      EDUCATION: COLLEGE: TEACHING AND TEACHERS :
      EDUCATION: COLLEGE: STUDENTS:
      I Feel, Therefore I Am

      I Feel, Therefore I Am
      Mar 21, 2006
      by Mike S. Adams
      TownHall.com
      <http://www.townhall.com/opinion/
      columns/mikeadams/2006/03/21/190628.html>

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      <http://snipurl.com/oidt>

      But, of course, I first have to let you all know how this new philosophy
      will affect my conduct. Listen carefully as some of these changes may
      affect you personally:

      I will no longer resend you a copy of the syllabus via email after you
      come to class late or walk in with your cell phone. Instead, I will just
      take a letter grade off your final average without bothering to inform
      you. Why? Well, I simply feel like doing it that way. And nothing else
      matters but my feelings.

      I will no longer grade exams and pass them back. If you manage to refrain
      from making me angry (anger is a feeling, too) for the rest of the
      semester, I will give you the grade that I feel you deserve. The rest of
      you will simply fail. Why? Well, I simply feel like doing it that way. You
      know that nothing else matters but my personal feelings.

      For those of you who are my advisees, I have decided to stop doing that,
      too. Advising is boring and I simply dont feel like doing it anymore.

      Ill also be coming to class late and answering calls and text messaging
      during lectures. Some may call it unprofessional but I really dont feel
      that way.

      All of the complicated and boring cases I discuss in class will simply be
      skipped from now on. You will still be tested on the material but I wont
      explain it. It just takes too much effort. And effort makes me tired. And,
      of course, tired doesnt feel good. Some may say Im lazy but thats too bad.
      Nothing matters but my feelings. I dont like to be inconvenienced.

      Oh yes! Before I forget, all of you who have missed appointments this
      semester please sign up for another one at your convenience. This time, Im
      going to stand you up for a meeting. Thats called revenge. Revenge feels
      good.

      Sincerely,
      David Dillard
      Temple University
      (215) 204 - 4584
      jwne@...
      Net-Gold
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold>
      General Internet & Print Resources
      <http://library.temple.edu/articles/subject_guides/general.jsp>
      Temple University Listserv Net-Gold Archives
      <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
      <http://www.LIFEofFlorida.org>
      Digital Divide Network
      <http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/jwne>