Friends of Nepal newsletter

  • tamaradschneider
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2007
      Hi guys,

      I have recently gotten involved with Friends of Nepal (which is a group of Nepal RPCVs) and
      we're trying to put together a newsletter. We already came up with a list of articles we want in
      this upcoming newsletter, but we've been having trouble finding people to write them. We're
      looking for volunteers to take on some of these articles and get them in by November 1
      (which, yes, is very soon, I'm sorry!)

      The articles are things like: Political News from Nepal, Stories from Peace Corps Days, Profiles
      of Peace Corps Staff Members, Nepali Language Corner, etc.

      If you're interested, contact me and I'll send you the list of story ideas and we can work
      something out. Also, if you have friends in other groups, please let them know, too; I
      wouldn't want this to be a purely N-194 effort.

      Thanks so much!
      Tamara
    • Lydia A. Martinez
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2007
        You are so cool. I wish I had something to write.  I do want to recieve the letter.  xoLydia

        tamaradschneider <TamaraDSchneider@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Tamara S. Bhandari
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2007
          No, we already have story ideas; you don't have to
          come up with anything yourself. I didn't ask you
          directly because you always seem to be so busy with
          school. Do you want to write something? I have pasted
          the list below.

          1) "Maintain your Nepal Connection."
          RPCVs maintain their connection to Nepal. In this
          first issue, it will be about the N3 Reunion and
          arranging donations.

          2) Profiles of grantees (EDWON and Filters).
          I think we only need to profile one group for
          this first issue, and save the other one for the next
          issue. In that way, we can go into more depth and make
          it more clear to the membership how very useful FON
          grants really are!

          3) Staff Alumni Report.
          This could be a one-sentence report on
          every former staff member we can find, or it can be a
          more in-depth profile of a particular person. Or some
          combination of the two. In this issue, we may want to
          profile Tika Karki...what do you think?

          4) RPCV Class Notes.
          This would be like the class notes section
          of an alumni magazine.

          5) Announcements and events
          This is sort of a catch-all category for
          announcements that may be of interest to FON members.
          This would include announcements from FON regarding
          membership, fundraising, whatever, but also
          announcements about events or activities related to
          Nepal and the Peace Corps community.

          6) The political situation in Nepal
          Unfortunately, things don't look like they're
          settling down, so this may also end up being a regular
          column. It was suggested that Shiva-ji would be a good
          person to write this. Who wants to contact him about
          it?

          7) The return of Peace Corps Nepal?
          An update on the situation regarding reopening
          Peace Corps Nepal. This article could either be
          written by someone in Peace Corps leadership, or one
          of us could interview someone and write the article
          ourselves.

          8) Remember when...
          As far as I can tell, this is meant to be a
          section of funny stories from our Peace Corps days,
          right? Mostly involving charpis? Sounds good to me.

          9) Nepali culture and language refresher
          This is just my idea. We could have a little
          column on Nepali language or culture. For example, a
          brief lesson on how to say simple things. Or, a
          description of a cultural feature that might be
          different in different parts of the country. Something
          like that.

          10.) Book reviews
          Could be a review of a book written by an RPCV on
          Nepal. There's a lot I think. Or a review of a book
          on Nepal by someone else.

          11.) Food
          Several groups and people have put together
          cookbooks. These could be reviewed, or, if there
          wasn't a new book, we could review web sites for
          Nepali cooking, Nepali restaurants in different
          cities, or we could print recipes. I'm realizing from
          hearing from my N 3 cohorts that we ate many different
          types of food depending on where we were located.

          12.) Group Member profiles
          Along the lines of featuring a staff member, we
          could also feature a group member. For instance, Pete
          Tomsen was DCM in China, and then Special Envoy to
          Afghanistan during the Russian period of attack; he's
          writing a book on Afghanistan and is often called on
          for the pundits to quiz. Victor Tomseth, also in our
          group, was an Iranian hostage. Aaron leaped on the
          web wagon.

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC