You may have already received this...from Ashley and Trey

  • Ashley Clayton
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2005
      I am sorry for the delay in responding. Trey and I are safe and were
      able to evacuate New Orleans and headed to my parents on the Gulf
      Coast of Alabama who were still in the path of Katrina but fared
      much better than Hurricane Ivan. Nevertheless, a scary experience
      that just became sadder as we saw New Orleans deteoriate.

      I will be writing more to you all later, but Trey and I are having
      to make a quick decision as to where we will go live and work
      immediately as we have lost our home, our belongings, my job, and
      his campus for the time being, but most disappointing of all is that
      we have lost our life and community in New Orleans that we had grown
      to really love. It is an unbelievable and very sad situation for New
      Orleans and really still hard to even comprehend. While it is still
      possible that we could go back in January and we could go volunteer
      for the fall to help as our hearts have been pulling us to do, the
      reality is that we won't even be able to get back into New Orleans
      to check our house until after 2 or 3 months and we have been warned
      of the security situation even then. The next few months look very
      bleak and we simply can't afford to put our life on hold.

      We have to make a decision in the next day as to where Trey will
      continue his studies for the fall semester. He has a space at
      Columbia and Johns Hopkins and possible options with Boston
      University and GWU. However, the financial aid varies for all of
      those. If we knew I could get a job quickly there would be no
      problem, but the fact that I had done the job search for so long and
      just recently finally landed a decent job, I am exhausted already of
      the work before me as well as fearful of the time it is going to
      take. So we are trying to figure out the least expensive option and
      the most productive.

      We most likely will try to head to the DC area for there seem to be
      more opportunities for both of us. If any of you know of cheap areas
      to recommend or any advice that can help us as we try to relocate,
      we would appreciate it.

      Thank you for all of your phone calls and emails and concern. I am
      sorry I haven't been quick to email, but I have really had no words
      and have been slightly immersed in the whole tragedy of New Orleans.

      Love you all,

      Ashley