Peace Corps Support

  • Ashley Clayton
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2005
      Namaste Saathiaru,

      I hope this email finds everyone doing well and making a smooth
      transition. I apologize for being so out of touch with everyone, but
      I have been self-absorbed in trying to make sense of my transition
      and to find meaningful work. Unfortunately, I have not been
      successful and in the mean time have lost contact with many special
      people. I kept thinking that one of these days my life would return
      to normal and then I could get back in consistent touch with
      everyone. However, a year has almost passed and I have not been
      successful in either arena.

      Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who hasn't found
      work yet? Please do feel free to share. And those that have been
      successful, please share your success stories and any advice to those
      like me that are having problems getting their foot in the door. What
      steps have been most beneficial?

      Would love to hear from all of you. I hope everyone is doing well.

      If any one is interested in coming down to the Gulf Coast area, it is
      really pretty here. And New Orleans is hosting their infamous two
      weekend Jazz Fest featuring 100's of great musicians. Trey is in New
      Orleans in grad school and there is small space but the more the
      merrier.

      Miss you guys,

      Ashley Clayton
    • Kara Stevens
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2005
        Ashley,

        It's great to hear from you!  I apologize for not being in better touch as well. The days go by so fast and while I was sitting in Nepal cursing people for not writing me, now I sort of understand, but then again, not really.  : )

        When I last saw you I was interning at the Alliance and I've since started working full time as a Development Associate.  It means grants and proposals, not international, unfortunately.  I really debated about accepting a job that I have such little interest in and no long term career aspirations for.....but eventually accepted because it was a resume builder, good experience, and an invaluable skill to know that will be useful forever. .I never would have gotten this job had I not been an intern here, though.  I have no experience in this field, but put in three months time getting paid crap wages and got to know the people I work with. That helped a lot.

          Are you in New Orleans now?  Do you know where you want to move?  Is Trey at Tulane?  Your New Orleans offer sounds great!  What are the dates of the Jazz Fest?

        I hope to hear from you soon, Ash!  Take care and look up....

        Kara

        Ashley Clayton <pcnepal194@...> wrote:

[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • lynelllacey
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13, 2005
          Hey Ashley, and everyone,

          Well, on the topic of finding a path, Ashley, you are not alone. It's amazing to me that I
          finished service a year ago. Right now, I'm living in San Francisco, bicycle road racing, and
          working managing the back country and snow department (about 25,000 sq. feet of it) at a
          local sporting goods store. And looking for a job. The retail gig is reasonably
          undemanding, and gives me plenty of time to ride my bike. But finding a real gig is not so
          easy. I've been doing a lot of searches online. Some sites i like are
          www.opportunityknocks.org and www.idealist.org; if you have friends who've done TFA,
          get them to share their password with you for the alumni site. They have an awesome site
          with great resources for all kinds of jobs in non-profits and teaching. In the end, for me I
          think it's going to come down to good old-fashioned networking: I'm identifying some
          organizations I'm interested in, and then working my contacts to find people who work
          there who I can talk to, and who can give my resume the leg up.

          You are an incredible person Ashley, and you will find a position that is worthy of you.
          Don't lose heart, or feel downcast. There are a lot of people in the same boat. It takes
          some time, is all. Best of luck in your search.

          For anyone wanting to track me down, my new US contact info is:
          1829 19th Avenue
          San Francisco, CA 94122
          (415) 566-0684
          (415) 377-3473 - cell
          *new email: lynellster@...

          I hope you all are doing well, and enjoying the fruits of the USA. For me, it's all about cold
          cereal with soy milk, and oh lord, cookies!

          best,
          ~lynell